PROJECT: Internal Structure of MH

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

levrin

Re: PROJECT: Internal Structure of MH

Post by levrin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Did you mean page 176? 175 is the Terror Mirage torso internals.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:01 am

I was hoping for page 175. That's the Terror Mirage internals. One of the diagram pages makes a reference to it so I thought it would make a nice link. I can also link it from the Terror Mirage page. Page 176 looks interesting but I haven't scanned those images, it would be a larger translation task and I have no Web page that refers to it. So, page 175 is all I'm thinking about.

Although, if I could have my wish, I'd like to get a translation for page 177 (just one small text block) and the top of page 173 (just the text that refers to the top image). Those would be great to add information about mortar headds and how they're treated in the world of Five Star Stories.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

levrin

Post by levrin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:11 am

Ah, both pages 175 and 176 are referenced in the diagrams; that's what was confusing me. Pages 173 and 177 are KOG and LED Mirage detail work? Looks like he says they're actually mosaics of colored armor chips. MH armor is apparently more of a synthetic mineral than a metallic compound.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:27 am

Yeah, sorry about that. 176 is referenced from the Fatima Cockpit diagram page and possibly other places as well. Sorry for the mix up.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:35 am

http://www.gearsonline.net/series/fives ... cture.html

That's my first draft of the article. Please review and give your thoughts.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:19 am

I think it looks great. I really like the way you've organized the article. Time to start telling people about it!
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:36 am

Any fact checking issues or bad links?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:17 pm

Tachyon wrote:Any fact checking issues or bad links?
not that I have seen yet. I have checked every page in the article, but I don't think I have hit every link yet. I'll continue looking but so far seems to be working fine.
Shinei!

levrin

Post by levrin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:51 am

Terror Mirage Internals
This is the first page with the newest explanations of MH workings rather than comments relating to the original material at time of publication. With the publishing of "Designs 2", the construction and working of MH has finally been mostly nailed down, and further work should remain consistent with these explanations.

[top left]
The complex fine engravings on the head are a form of stealth armor. By absorbing incoming scanner signals it functions as a jamming system against detection by enemies.

[middle left]
One of the Terror Mirage's particular features, these slits can expel smoke. Conbined with an energy drain effect, the ECM is equivalent to Aurora Beam systems.

[bottom, right to left]
The energy reflectors characteristic of Mirage machines. Enemy laser attacks are collected here and reflected into the generators below

The function generator amplifies, levels, and converts power from the ezlaser engine into electricity. There is one unit on either side. While it appears to resemble a human organ, this is because internal equipment is sheathed with high pressure jelly to protect it not only from external shockwaves, but from the MH's own engine heat. It is recognizable as a mechanical generator underneath.

As the ezlaser function system bypass and keel are directly behind the cockpit, all gaps must be filled with heavy pressure jelly.

Keel (Main frame)
The keel, which is also called the MH's spine. Affecting not just the base frame, it is not an exaggeration to say the keel specs decide the size and output of a MH.

Energy condensor
A safety device for containing energy overflow from engine spikes. The collected energy can then be drained by external discharge.

Floater
Supports the cockpit and protects the knight from shockwaves.

Primary armoring
The inner plating is the primary armoring, as opposed to the secondary armoring on the surface. Veinlike bypass lines go through the plating as the armor itself functions as a condensor for light energy.

levrin

Post by levrin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:52 am

summary for p173 and p177:

p173 KOG Shoulder Marking Detail
-the image on the corresponding opposite shoulder marking is different from this one
-made of a mosaic of fine neochitin armor chips
-the egret on the upper right is the national bird of Grees, the angel is maybe Lithora

p177 LED Mirage Leg Marking Detail
-the heavy black line is a relief carving of female figures
-the red part and its imagery is a mosaic of colored armor chips
-knights have are free to choose whatever symbolic images are burning in hellfire
-this is the first drawn appearance of fatima Belda
-drawn in 1989, this predates LED Mirage translucent armor, so the armor texture is like marble
-MH armor is more mineral than metallic; even translucent is reminiscent of gemstones
-it's interesting to see the double bolt at the knee, where the secondary bolt covers the main bolt

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:05 pm

Woo hoo! Thanks! I wasn't sure this would be translated. I have the images ready to go. Just need some time to lay out the diagram page.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:47 pm

Sweet! The MH pages are shaping up thanks to Levrin and Tachyon's teamwork!
Shinei!

levrin

Post by levrin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:18 pm

For reference, Aurora Beam ECM is used by a ship in Japanese volume 7 p184-185; English volume 17 p38-39. Apparently some stealth/recon MH use the same system.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:22 pm

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:36 pm

Well, it looks like the project Internal Structure of Mortar Headd is completed. I enjoyed working with levrin and Nu Soard. levrin, thank you again for your excellent and speedy translations. Congratulations all around for doing something to help FSS fandom online. I hope English-speaking FSS fans will continue to visit Gears Online for a long time.

It would be nice to make other FSS materials available in the months ahead. Let me know what you guys find, translate or write.