PROJECT: Internal Structure of MH

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PROJECT: Internal Structure of MH

Post by Tachyon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:26 pm

I scanned and did color correction on all the images for the article today. They still need resizing and a little clean up but the tough part is over. I'd like this thread to show progress leading up to the final unveiling for the public of the article Internal Structure of Mortar Head. Nu Soard, how are we doing? Do you need anything from me?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PROJECT: Internal Structure of MH

Post by Tachyon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:28 pm

A thought occurred to me. What if we put letters instead of the full text for the call-outs in the images? Each letter would match with a block of text (true text) below or to the side of the image. It would keep image size down. Any thoughts on this?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:37 am

That sounds pretty good. Match the text to the appropriate image.

Between my job and my kids, I don't have a ton of free time, but I will endeavor to get as much as I can done when I do have some free time. It shouldn't take too long.
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:45 pm

http://flipbit.co.uk/jquery-image-annotation.html

Here's a JQuery plug in. We wouldn't let site visitors add their own text, though. I'm just concerned about having to remake the whole image every time there's a text update. Anyways, we have options.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:33 pm

Here are 3 examples of what I'm talking about:

http://gears/series/fivestarstories/oth ... lmh/a.html
http://gears/series/fivestarstories/oth ... lmh/b.html
http://gears/series/fivestarstories/oth ... lmh/c.html NOTE: You have to mouse-over the image to start seeing the JavaScript

These are just rough mock ups. The image isn't final. The text isn't final (haven't even gone over it with the translator yet). These are just to illustrate 3 options we have. Remember, the article will have 14 diagram images. I would like to hear feedback but please, don't be too unkind. I have feelings too. :D

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:29 am

The sample pages didn't load for me.
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:36 pm

I actually like the 1st one the most, because it is most like the original article in Smoke Walls and Designs 2. The 2cnd one isn't bad either. The 3rd is cool. Utilizing this one, you could make the image larger because you wouldn't need the space for Text because of the pop-up word bubbles.

I vote for #1 but I would be fine with any of those formats.
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue May 01, 2012 12:43 pm

A good compromise may be to have blocks of text sit "on top" of the image. That way, we get the visual effect you like but can keep image size down. Let's see what other people think.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Tue May 01, 2012 1:45 pm

I like the first one. Lettering keys are fine if you don't have another option, but the first image allows immediacy while reading. It's easy to look left/right/up/down and get the information while immediately gazing back and forth between text and line art. The other version forces you to scroll down, scroll back up, scroll down...etc.

By the way, well done with this!

DYNAKYRIS

Post by DYNAKYRIS » Wed May 02, 2012 8:30 pm

8o

The first option is great because it works just like a page in DESIGNS and the last option is great because it works like a feature one would use at a kiosk at the Mortar Headd Museum of History*. For this option I'd use a more fetching font for the letter labels and expand the text blocks to something more akin to the first option; let the text breathe better.

How about doing both and offering the first as the Printer-friendly version? ;]

*(Or it could be called the Mortar Headd History Museum; abbreviated as MHHM, this allows for a sneaky L-Gaim reference.)

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri May 11, 2012 3:58 pm

I found out I'll have free time after June 16th. It would be nice to sit down then and look at formatting the translated article. During the 2nd half of June I'll be scanning FSS material and discussing with everyone how to use it. Nu Soard, will you have some time then?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun May 13, 2012 10:51 pm

As of right now, I have about 1 day a week I can sit down and devote time to this. Currently I am working night shift and on my days off, I keep my schedule so I'm up and about while everyone else in the house is asleep, so there are at least a few hours on my "weekends" where I can work on stuff unmolested. Let me know what you want profiles for and I'll see what I can bang out
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue May 29, 2012 12:27 pm

I'd like to see some attention given to this page:
http://www.gearsonline.net/series/fives ... story.html
It looks bad right now. Anything we can do?

A Float Temple profile would be fun if we can provide some interesting information. Other than that, how about 3 more fatima profiles and a check on the Internal Structure article?

This week I'm working on adjusting the FSS pages. I have a new idea for site navigation that I think would be an improvement.

DYNAKYRIS

Post by DYNAKYRIS » Wed May 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Little brainstorming here...

Okay, my take would go something like this: I'd take what you've got there and check it against the Japanese Wiki story rundown, making any necessary adjustments/updates with the help of some handy translators. Looks like we've got eight major movements so far...I'd isolate each block of details beneath a banner showing a bit of the book cover in which the respective saga takes place. If there's a case in which a cover is used more than once, I'd show a different detail of it; if a movement spans more than one, the banner would reflect this by featuring a detail from each. I might also note when each tale initially premiered in NewType. (The ALL ABOUT MAMORU NAGANO insert from March 1999 would be helpful up to a certain point.) All this and some formatting adjustments to make the text a little nicer-looking,