Size comparisons

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Squee

Size comparisons

Post by Squee » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:48 am

Hi everyone if its been answered/asked before i'm terribly sorry, but for the life of me i can never find any pictures of fss kits next to a gundam model. I know the scales tend to be off for fss kits from different companies, but i was wondering if anyone has pictures of the different scales, 1/100, 1/144, of the two brands next to each other? It has been bugging me for awhile now. I have a 1/100 yen xing and a 1/100 kneeling flame empress that i'm working on, and i've always been curious about that. I wish to branch out into other scales but i want to know how big they are. Any pics would be greatly appreciated. :D

Arcanum93

Re: Size comparisons

Post by Arcanum93 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:11 pm

There you go: IMS Vatshu next to a same-scale Zaku.

http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blog ... 0120992902

levrin

Post by levrin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:26 pm

The Wave kits seem to be taller than Bandai kits, too. My Wave Engage is taller than both my HGUC RX-78 and my HG L-Gaim, though admittedly L-Gaim isn't standing up straight.
144_gundam_engage_l-gaim.jpg
144_gundam_engage_l-gaim.jpg (210.8 KiB) Viewed 2670 times

Arcanum93

Post by Arcanum93 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:27 pm

For what it's worth, Mortar Headd kits have grown in size over time. To give you an idea, I used to have this old (20 years ago) Kaiyodo 1/100 vinyl Led Mirage kit that was about the size of a 1/100 Gundam. Their green Berlin (resin) was similar in size. Volks made their MHs a tad larger, then WSC came along and took things up a notch. Wave's old 1/100 plastic kits were always large, especially for their time. Things seem to have stabilized now in terms of size, the only slight increase has been with the raised heel designs but that's to be expected.

Essentially, it seems that kit makers have long abandoned the idea of going by (Nagano's) numerical specs and readjusted MH size based on what looks right.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:48 pm

Also keep in mind Nagano measures his mecha differently from other designers. Most measuring from the ground to the top of the mecha's head (which is usually the highest point) Nagano measures from the ground to the top of the shoulders. In some cases, if a Mobile suit and a Mortar Headd have the same height, the MH will be taller by a head if the shoulders aren't oversized. Also, I'm not sure if the height that Nagano mentions is the measurement with just primary armor (the armored endoskeleton) or with final armor (the outer armored plating) which changes constantly. I'm inclined to think Nagano bases the height on primary armor stage since that is constant unless the MH is significantly re-designed. The outer armors change so frequently, it wouldn't be a reliable statistic to base it off of those measurements.
Shinei!