Let's discuss it further
17%

Total votes: 6

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Proposal – Volunteer Position and Posting Guidelines

Post by Tachyon » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:02 pm

What follows is a proposal for adding structure to the FSS forums here. These are just my ideas and shouldn't be taken as law. I won't be at all offended if you vote them down. Keeping the forums "wild and free" is fine with me as long as everyone is courteous to each other.

I have some ideas for adding structure to the FSS forums here at Gears Online. This proposal is to see if people want to try these ideas or not. Please vote in the poll above so I can measure reactions.

FSS Scholar – a volunteer position

People with “FSS Scholar” below their name on the message board are recognized as volunteer staff of the Gears Online message board. These people carry this title because they are recognized as having a good familiarity with the manga and other products related to FSS. These people work hard to answer questions and translate information to help you better understand the Five Star Stories. We all make mistakes and there are no guarantees that a FSS Scholar is 100% correct in their information but it’s safe to assume they know what they’re talking about.

Duties of FSS Scholars
:arrow: Know the Posting Guidelines and follow them.
:arrow: Try to be friendly towards message board visitors.
:arrow: Try to answer questions regarding Five Star Stories.

NOT Duties of FSS Scholars
:arrow: FSS Scholars do not have to answer every question they find on the forum.
:arrow: FSS Scholars do not have to answer every question directed at them.

Posting Guidelines
(These guidelines would be posted as an announcement at the top of the FSS Talk forum.)

These guidelines are intended to help you get the most from your time in the FSS Talk forum. You are not required to follow these guidelines but if you do it will help reduce confusion and give everyone a common ground on which to base their discussions. NOTE: FSS Scholars will always follow these guidelines.

References – When someone refers to the manga and doesn’t state what version, it is safe to assume they are talking about the Japanese version. When you want to be specific about a version of the manga use the following abbreviations:
JP – Japanese version
EN – English version
CH – Chinese version
KR – Korean version
FR – French version

Examples:
“Look closely at the image on the bottom of pg. 14, issue 3 (EN).”
“Try looking in the Sleeve Notes of book 5 (KR).”

Benefit of a Doubt – Many of the people who participate in the discussions here do not speak English as their primary language. If you feel someone is being rude to you or writing a confusing post, please give them the benefit of a doubt as they may be having trouble expressing themselves in English.

Saying Thanks – We have observed people putting out a lot of effort to answer questions and provide detailed information. Saying “thanks” goes a long way towards helping those people feel appreciated.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Shadowbrooke

Post by Shadowbrooke » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:19 pm

If only I knew enough...what I do know is that every question I have posted here on this forum has been answered, there are some good people here who post good topics and they do so on a regular basis. I would suggest to those people, you know who they are, to step forward and help noobs like me out to further the amazing story of the Joker galaxy! I have been trying to get more peeps to come to the FSS forum and I know three guys who will soon show up here who are just as new as I am. As of right now we are not a big forum but with the events of other forums closing down and new members joining I think we could benefit from having a bit of structure. Well, I am finally done rubbing my two centavos together...have a good one and thanks :D

Shadowbrooke

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:18 pm

Tachyon wrote:FR – French version
Gneh ? I must have missed it :wink: That's quite funny, in one of her post Lalasa quoted different nationalities supposed to have their own FSS board, including french, well no, neither :wink:
I've heard France is the second bigger manga consumer, but FSS hasn't made its way to France...

Anyway good idea, though I'm not eligible to this post^^.

Another thing that may be good, despite the search function, would be to file the different subject, cuz' there's already 2 pages of topics.

KOG

Post by KOG » Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:17 am

Well, the ideas put forth seem reasonble, I don't see anything I disagree with...

Maybe I missed something though... what was the point of marking some as a 'scholar'? Just so people asking questions know that statements coming from said 'scholars' can be trusted to be well informed and accurate?

I'm afraid my knowledge of the story is still small, even though I've been keeping up with the english releases as a rule. Maybe there should be a subcategory for people who are just extremely knowledgeable about the model kit side of things. :)

elemental

Post by elemental » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:40 am

You can be a model scholar if you like. But is such a label really that necessary?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:36 pm

If "FSS Scholar" sounds too pretentious we can devise another title. I just wanted something that communicates "person who knows about FSS."

FSS Modeler might be a good title for people willing to answer questions on FSS model kits.

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:45 pm

My questions -- Why is this necessary? -- What does it give us as a community? -- What specifically triggered this need?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:52 pm

The volunteer position may not be needed but I like the posting guidelines.

What brought this about was a while ago someone asked a poster to state which version of the manga they were talking about. The poster said it took too much extra time to mention versions with references and I got the impression there were some hurt feelings.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:05 pm

At the very least, I like the basic posting guidelines about posting which version you are referencing. It would avoid a lot of confusion, especially for those new to FSS who only have access to the English versions, and so thats the version they will think of when a volume is mentioned...
Shinei!

Falk

Post by Falk » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:52 pm

Oh well, if some are against, that's not a problem, but it made me realize there are no ranks on this board.
On purpose or you just didn't think of it ?
Well it's not that useful, and it just motivates trolls to post more.
Maybe some custom rank, just for fun, would be cool (well if you have some time to lose :wink: )

Well if it was up to me, there would be plenty of ranks, like knight, sword master, etc etc (well I'm always talking about FSS, maybe some gundam fans would be against :wink: )

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:40 am

Falk wrote:Oh well, if some are against, that's not a problem, but it made me realize there are no ranks on this board.
Going a little off topic here, but your comment made me think of the e2046 forum and their silly 1000 post reward thing. Sure, it is aimed at encouraging conversation, but the reality is one person posts a pic of their kit, and 100 people post a truly banal response, often identical to a previous response.

Praising other people's work is good, but you think they could at least try to make the praise sound genuine.

Thankfully the conversations here are genuine and polite. This is a quality board. 8)

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:01 am

Falk wrote:Oh well, if some are against, that's not a problem, but it made me realize there are no ranks on this board.
Maybe some custom rank, just for fun, would be cool (well if you have some time to lose :wink: )
but in gundam.com, when the rank idea surface, people making stupid posts just to jack up their rank. Most board uses a simple sys. just called "member". Post count is always good.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet