Dead message board :(

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

levrin

Re: Dead message board :(

Post by levrin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:23 am

DYNAKYRIS wrote:How 'bout a re-translation of that cryptic Monarch Sacred tract?
Does it really need a retranslation? I'm pretty sure that entire section is cryptic on purpose. (For reference, this is in Japanese volume 10, page 158 and English volume 25, page 34)
I'm not really sure why Nagano put the prologue of part 8 in before finishing part 5 (Chivalries) anyway, and even now we'd still be in part 6 (Majestic Stand) if he ever actually gets back to making more.

DYNAKYRIS

Post by DYNAKYRIS » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Cryptic is good, but another go at translation "couldn't hoit." [/grouchomarx]

Some weeks ago I was raving to a bud about this great angle in which a Fatima is sent deep into space (Pioneer 10-style) to search for what is pretty much FSS' version of the Akashic Records. However, when I got around to sending the page, another skim revealed that I had almost no idea of what was going on.

The Monarch Sacred tract in brief:
100,000 years ago (in relation to AD or JC?) Emperor Monsorong found the possible location of a door to "the other side of time".
The Blazing Empress (somehow) learned that the location is spelled out "on the surface of the basic matter configuration of all living things"; I'm left to assume DNA points the way.
Arsenic Balance (again, somehow) finds her message while doing blood work on Swans, thus ultimately inspiring Optical Tai Phone.
Currently cruising aboard a ship in "animated space", she is a Silent Flawless Fatima.
Afterward I'm lost:
She waits for a reader on the other side of Inifinity.
There is still no reader who can sign his name to the last page.

The manuscript containing the complete record of the universe.

A gift to those who have yet to lose their curiousity and desire for adventure.

Monarch Sacred
It's a beautiful concept, but near the final volumes of the English run, I recall parts littered with (more) spelling and punctuation errors (than usual), leading me to a sense that the translator got either lazy, lost, or rushed; thus, my call to action.

levrin

Post by levrin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:50 am

[Designs 2, p184]
[upper image]
Fatima Cockpit

[right side, top to bottom]
Receiver hood
Domed hood for data transfer between the fatima and MH.

Headrest
When changing to the Plastic style, the fatima shell needed to be redisgned to accomodate the oversized bonnet, including this large headrest.

Control console
Compared to the "Decadent style" fatima cockpit on p176, the changes are apparent.

Data cable connecting the top hood into the keel directly below.

The fatima shell's seat and consoles tend to be finished in gaudy colors. Flourescent pink or orange, light green, and other painfully loud colors are used to match the fatima's personal colors. Since the fatima shell is completely dark when operating, these flashy colors do not cause any difficulties in action. Machi's cockpit is peacock green, and Candana's is bright golden yellow. Mirage machines are opera pink.

[left side, top to bottom]
Shell outer wall
The rounded outer wall withstands all stress and shock.

Forward boarding hatch
Between here and the forehead boarding cover are triple armored shutters; head damage is not sufficient to force this hatch.

Connection hatch to the knight cockpit below. This hatch can be used to extract the knight in emergencies, as the knight cockpit is more likely to be destroyed than the fatima shell.

Main console
Fatimas can perform most operations via head-mounted crystal without needing physical controls, but manual controls are still provided for supplemental control in the form of five control panels and monitors placed forward, on both sides, and to either side of the head.

Passage to knight cockpit. Lacking handrails, the protrusions on the keel are used as footholds. At the beginning of volume 10 [English volume 23], Ochestro uses this to drop into König's cockpit.

[lower image]
Knight Cockpit

[right side, top to bottom]
Hatch leading to fatima cockpit.

Upper side monitor folded aside.

Helmet
Frequently designed to match the MH's head.

Cockpit outer wall

Moving stage for monitor screen unit
To maintain optimal viewing angles, the entire monitor panel shifts in all directions to follow the knight's movements.

[upper left, top to bottom]
Cockpit main hatch

Backrest

Arm control unit

[left, top to bottom]
Monitor panel
Projects a view of the scenery outside the MH. As the projected image shares the MH's field of view, the cockpit sits on a spherical base allowing the display to follow the knight's movement; when looking down, the panel shifts downward appropriately; when looking up, the panel moves upward, etc. Thus there is no need for a 360° monitor. The only time this is not the case is when displaying a direct rear view onto the screen. "Turning away in combat" is obviously suicidal, so when a rear view is absolutely necessary the fatima can route the rear camera to the front display.

Hinge to collapse forward monitor

Floating unit
The knight cockpit is free-floating.

[below]
Leg control unit

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks! It's great to see progress on this.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Its pretty cool how the screens that the pilot uses to view the outside of the MH move along with his head movements, as well as Pan and Scan via the MH's camera system. So much interesting information!
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:00 pm

DYNAKYRIS wrote:Cryptic is good, but another go at translation "couldn't hoit." [/grouchomarx]

Some weeks ago I was raving to a bud about this great angle in which a Fatima is sent deep into space (Pioneer 10-style) to search for what is pretty much FSS' version of the Akashic Records. However, when I got around to sending the page, another skim revealed that I had almost no idea of what was going on.

The Monarch Sacred tract in brief:
100,000 years ago (in relation to AD or JC?) Emperor Monsorong found the possible location of a door to "the other side of time".
The Blazing Empress (somehow) learned that the location is spelled out "on the surface of the basic matter configuration of all living things"; I'm left to assume DNA points the way.
Arsenic Balance (again, somehow) finds her message while doing blood work on Swans, thus ultimately inspiring Optical Tai Phone.
Currently cruising aboard a ship in "animated space", she is a Silent Flawless Fatima.
Afterward I'm lost:
She waits for a reader on the other side of Inifinity.
There is still no reader who can sign his name to the last page.

The manuscript containing the complete record of the universe.

A gift to those who have yet to lose their curiousity and desire for adventure.

Monarch Sacred
It's a beautiful concept, but near the final volumes of the English run, I recall parts littered with (more) spelling and punctuation errors (than usual), leading me to a sense that the translator got either lazy, lost, or rushed; thus, my call to action.
This is definitely and interesting subject and one I would be interested in pursuing further. Lets give Monarch Sacred it's own thread and leave this one for discussion of the Internal Structure of Mortar Headd article.
Shinei!

levrin

Post by levrin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:29 am

[Designs 2, p185]
[upper right]
Fatima shell
Occupies essentially the same position as the cerebrum.

Fatima cockpit main hatch
Boarding hatch position may vary by MH. Sandwich armored in neotitanium and metrotechachrome.

Passage bulkhead
Normally only to here, but for space combat it can be extended to the knight cockpit. Since the neck has no other equipment, it is not uncommon for fatima to use the throat hatch as an exit.

Knight cockpit
The knight's control devices are set on a floating platform. Clearly the knight cockpit is set well inside the most durable part of the MH.

Cockpit internal armor
The cockpit is already protected by the armor, frame, and engine plating, but in the event that violent damage causes internal components to come loose and strike the cockpit, there is an additional layer protecting the knight.

It has been stated previously that the keel essentially supports the entire torso and manages its movement, but in this case eight power cylinders have been added for movement support. This also serves to reinforce the empty torso. Other units like the Type J Huge Hauters Stratoweapon have only the keel for their torso.

Knee block
The knee blocks are build with the strongest damper system to support to load of an entire MH. They also serve as a base attachment point for many of the armor linkages. Further, regardless of the impressiveness of the power cylinders, crouching still relies on the knee joints being able to release the clutch appropriately as part of the motion sequence.

Hydraulic oil frequently leaks from the joints in MH combat, but fatimas don't pay it much attention as oil loss from damage is not sufficient to impair combat ability. This is because the oil lost tends to be coolant oil or reserve damper fluid.

DYNAKYRIS

Post by DYNAKYRIS » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:19 am

Nu Soard Graphite wrote: This is definitely and interesting subject and one I would be interested in pursuing further. Lets give Monarch Sacred it's own thread and leave this one for discussion of the Internal Structure of Mortar Headd article.
Sure thing, I'll set it up when I have some (more) chill-time. I've been meaning to write a post on Optical anyway.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:40 pm

So the knees seem to be a weak point of the MH, just like with a human. Damage the knee and walking/running will prove difficult to impossible for such a heavy load...

Good stuff. Almost done I think.
Shinei!

levrin

Post by levrin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Well, almost done with the image labels at least; there's actually a decent amount of accompanying text on these pages that I'd like to go back to after all the image labels. I downloaded a scan of Smoke Walls, and there are actually English headings on the image text, though they're pretty much the same as what I came up with, besides using Headdliner instead of Knight; the terms are essentially synonymous in FSS anyway. Most of the accompanying text seems the same between the Smoke Walls and Designs 2 versions, so I'll probably keep using the later-published Designs 2 as a source in case Nagano changed his mind about how something worked between Smoke Walls and Designs 2.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:13 am

levrin wrote:Well, almost done with the image labels at least; there's actually a decent amount of accompanying text on these pages that I'd like to go back to after all the image labels. I downloaded a scan of Smoke Walls, and there are actually English headings on the image text, though they're pretty much the same as what I came up with, besides using Headdliner instead of Knight; the terms are essentially synonymous in FSS anyway. Most of the accompanying text seems the same between the Smoke Walls and Designs 2 versions, so I'll probably keep using the later-published Designs 2 as a source in case Nagano changed his mind about how something worked between Smoke Walls and Designs 2.
Which is very likely. I know Nagano has said that he's finally pinning down the "final version" of how stuff works in his universe, but he's been planning this thing since the early 80's and he's still changing it. I don't think the changes will stop any time soon...
Shinei!

levrin

Post by levrin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:33 pm

[Designs 2, p187]
[upper right]
Protective covers for the arm base and upper arm. This MH is Neptune, so there are fewer cover plates with lighter armor. [Neptune is the V Sirene/Sirene N]

[lower right]
Thigh protective cover
This part is fitted last as it also includes a power cylinder to assist in forward kicks. This cover is primarily for MH without skirt armor like the Neptune or whose skirt armor can be removed as with Dai Gu's Prominence at Nakakara.

Face skull
The MH's face. Unlike a human face, the only sensory inputs are the eyes. What appears to be a mouth is actually a ventilator for the control lines.

Equipment mount
A small support arm for holding a veil (shield) or other weaponry.

Energy catalyzer
Excess heat, electricity, and such from the engine and other parts are expelled here. Pressure from expelled gases and liquids are repurposed to send non-ezlaser physical power through the MH.

Hip armor setting block
Provides a base for attaching the skirt or other hip-mounted equipment. Frequently incorporates oil tanks, bypasses, compressors, and such along with the internal armor plating.

Center bar
Also called "the loincloth", the primary armor is already set in place. Just beyond are the oil servos and oil tanks for the hydraulics.

Lower leg armor
As the Neptune is a naked MH, the lower leg is covered by only a single large shin guard. Many MH units have a storage container in the outer ankle armor for goods or emergency supplies. This MH does not have the accomodation for such.

Foot armor
A standard MH will have separate armor sections for the toes and the foot, but the Neptune has only one combined plate. However, it is clear from the transparent parts of the diagram that the ankle and toes can move freely inside, so this is really just a foot cover.
Last edited by levrin on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:15 am

That's all of the diagram image text boxes, right? This is great! Is it time for me to scan the images?

Can we look forward to any more translation on the article? Thank you so much for your work, levrin. This is really great!

levrin

Post by levrin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:04 pm

I was thinking I might do those two extra Phantom pages from Smoke Walls since I downloaded a scan of the book, and then go back to the Designs 2 article text and page headings.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:30 pm

Sounds great. I look forward to it.