scanlation of Fool for the City is getting underway

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

machine mess

scanlation of Fool for the City is getting underway

Post by machine mess » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:56 pm

If you know what Fool for the City is, can read Japanese and English, and are interested in helping out please respond on this thread.

A while back I found a copy of FFTC for crazy cheap on eBay. I don't buy a lot of manga that I can't even read, but Mamorumaniac that I am I couldn't resist.

Earlier this week I discovered that Shin-Getter had started up again with their L-Gaim fansubs, and in a comment on their site I mentioned my eternal hope that FFTC would someday get scanlated.

One their members almost immediately got in touch with me, and the rest could turn out to history that some of you may want to be involved in.

There's a good chance that a translator will take this on, and what I'm hoping for is to find one or more people who could do some unpaid proofreading work to help make sure that the end product will be one that can be enjoyed through the ages.

I am providing high res raws, (some of the text in this thing is tiny) and the tankouban was cheap enough that I don't feel bad about creasing the hell out of the binding to make the most pristine images possible.

FSS otaku who will be able to pick up on little bits that seem like seeds of future things in Nagano's career are the people I'm most interested in getting on board now - that and people who are just good proofreaders and read both languages.

After it's done, some seeders for the torrent file will be very welcome as well.

I know this manga is far from the best thing Nagano Mamoru has ever done, but it is his first thing, and I'd love it if we could get a nice quality scanlation of it out there since there will never ever in a billion years be an English language publication deal for this thing.

I have also posted this on Hobbyfanatics, and if anyone here knows of other places where FSS fans hang out online, please let me know.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: scanlation of Fool for the City is getting underway

Post by Tachyon » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:03 pm

I can't read Japanese but I'll support this project any way I can. Good work!
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks!

I finished the scans. If you'd like to see the raws, here are the links:

first half:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hgpkbc

Last half:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/o40876

In spite of how many hours it took to do all the scanning, I still don't have much of a sense of the story because I scanned odd numbered pages forward and then evens in reverse to expedite the scanning. Something about rock'n'roll + awesome robots.

I had to split them in order to keep the images high res enough for the tiny margin notes on some of the pages to come through. The 300 MB limit on Sendspace sounds like alot, but it goes fast.

Shin-getter has already got them to the translator, so we'll see how things go.

I'll update here as things develop.

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:12 pm

Awesome project guys. I can't wait to be able to read this. I bought the books ages ago and have just been looking at the pretty pictures since. :)

Mun-Su

Post by Mun-Su » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:23 am

still the same old question, but what about Schell Bullet? it's a short story and it also has stunning mechas..

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:29 am

Mun-Su wrote:still the same old question, but what about Schell Bullet? it's a short story and it also has stunning mechas..
Oh Yeah! Thanks for chiming in about this. I never bought Schell Bullet because I thought it was just text with a few illustrations - some of which I've grabbed online. It would be great fun if someone translated it, but the first step is getting raw scans of the text for a translator to work with.

I must say I've never heard of fan-translated novels or short stories. Is there a group out there that does this?

Now I'm interested in the idea, so I'll have to go googling around for more info...

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:00 pm

I bought Schell Bullet. It's a 2 volume text novel with some illustrations. It would be a lot more translation work than Fool for the City. However, if someone would translate the captions for the pictures I'd be very grateful.

http://www.gearsonline.net/schellbullet/
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Not too tough to find, actually...

There's a group call the "Baka-Tsuki Translation Community Wiki" who translate Japanese "light novels" - into which category I suspect Schell Bullet fits.

I emailed their chief member, so I'll post here again when I find anything out from them.