FSS Manga (English) Scanlations

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Should Gears Online link to the scanlations of the English FSS manga?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:10 pm

Yes
89%
No
6%
I just don't know
No votes
I don't care
No votes
If you do I'll report you faster than you can blink!
6%

Total votes: 18

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

FSS Manga (English) Scanlations

Post by Tachyon » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:10 pm

Should we link for those fans who can't buy their own copies?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:02 am

Argh, I'm late to reply in the other thread,

Hello by the way :D

Another possibility to avoid any trouble to Gearsonline could be to make a torrent file that a bunch of us would seed, and which would hopefully become healthy after a little while. Maybe it'd need a few guys to seed it 24/7 if possible.

But a few days ago I came across a website full of mangas to read online. Many of them, and for example 400 chapters of naruto to read online...
So unless Nagano or the publisher takes it "personnally", it shouldn't be much of a problem (I gotta say I was surprised when the "new" FSS site came out with the copyright policy written in a bunch of different laguages http://automaticflowers.ne.jp/info/index.html and at that time hoped that meant they would cover the rest of the world a bit more, but obviously it didn't turn out that way :| ).

That would be great if that could spark some interest for a scantrad team to translate books 11 & 12.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:59 pm

I have received partial translated text for volume 11 today. This is a separate issue since volume 11 was never translated to English. If someone can scan volume 11 pages in Japanese we could put together a fan scanlation.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:07 pm

Tachyon wrote:I have received partial translated text for volume 11 today. This is a separate issue since volume 11 was never translated to English. If someone can scan volume 11 pages in Japanese we could put together a fan scanlation.
That's great news!!

As for Falk's suggestion to use Bittorrent, i'd prefer some photo album or direct download site (preferably a permanent storage), becos BT requires seeding and in the long run, it wouldn't be feasible to have seeds 24/7.
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

parasyte

Post by parasyte » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:08 am

i voted no :|
but well,
since we are democratic
i'll go along with the majority consensus

i could host the files if ya want
but my server is only on a 4mbps line though
drop me a pm if ya want a link to test the speed
:D

errol

Post by errol » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:15 pm

Pinch, pinch-

Is this really happening?

I have JP 11 & 12 I would donate for the cause :)

I also have a $100 cannon scanner if that's good enough.

Maybe Faulk could do his magic cleaning up the scans, I've seen his work in the past around here.

Just say go...

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:41 pm

Tachyon wrote:I have received partial translated text for volume 11 today. This is a separate issue since volume 11 was never translated to English. If someone can scan volume 11 pages in Japanese we could put together a fan scanlation.
I have scans of volume 12. I'm not sure if I have volume 11 or not. I'll have to check tonight when I get home.
Shinei!

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:08 am

i have scans of the JP vols 1-12. :wink:
Looking for:

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:26 pm

What we have happening now is 2 projects, both of which are generating excitement.

PROJECT 1 - Linking to (but not hosting) scans of the published (but out of print) official English translation of volumes 1 thru 10.

PROJECT 2 - Scanning the Japanese manga volumes of 11 and 12 and doing our own English translation and modifying the scanned pages so that it looks like a translated manga.

Project 1 seems to me to have some risk but not very much. The link would only be here on the message board and we're not the people who scanned or are even offering the stuff. If someone official decided to go ballistic they would start by asking us to remove the link - which I would do - before any real suing happened.

Project 2 seems to have very little risk. Fan scanlations of manga can be found all over the Web. Again, if someone official decided to go ballistic they would threaten us before actually suing us. Then we could drop the offending material and I really doubt anyone would get sued or punished.

Project 2 is already getting a start, by the way. I have the English translation for a number of pages and someone is offering to scan the Japanese manga pages.

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:53 pm

Well, thanks to whoever this "someone" is :D
I hope he or she keeps the faith for the whole books 11 & 12, as well as does a good translation :P (also, fitting the English words in the space available in bubbles is sometimes pretty difficult, I once wanted to do a French translation (aaah I was young, full of hope, faith and strength, naive and innocent, ready to conquer the world and, uh, whatever) did about 30 pages, and sometimes it was really tricky to fit the French sentences instead of the English ones.
Also I think there's a font that looks close to the one used in the English version).

Euhsung

Post by Euhsung » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:27 am

Well, hopefully this will revive interest in the series... it's been getting dead here, no?
Even with Designs 3 coming out, it's been growing steadily more quiet.

One question though: who is actually on the team? Or is it still being put together?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:49 pm

There's no real team yet. I'm hoping someone can submit manga page scans. My scanner at home is busted.

Euhsung

Post by Euhsung » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:03 pm

Hmmm... There's been a version of it floating around... I think Shun has it too.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:01 am

hmmm turns out the scans i have are good for reading but might not be good enough/suitable for the project :P
Looking for:

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:13 pm