FSS Manga in English - Scans

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

FSS Manga in English - Scans

Post by Tachyon » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:48 pm

I'd like to discuss something with FSS fans. A person who works at 4chan let me know that he has scanned books 1 through 7 of the FSS manga in English. He said the volumes are out of print so he's doing a service to English speaking FSS fans. He plans to scan books 8 - 10 in English soon.

Should we link to these scans or would that be wrong? Please share your thoughts.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

parasyte

Post by parasyte » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:13 pm

personally for me,
i feel that scans are akin to piracy.

however, its also a tough decision since its not really possible to buy english version even if wanted to

what i suggest perhaps is that instead of scans,
what about posting only the dialogues? (of course this means that someone will have to do the hardwork of sorting em out)

so that the fans will still buy the books(japanese ver), but can still refer to the english dialouges to understand the story

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 am

Since the books are out of print, I feel its okay. As long as no one is making money off of the deal, its not really piracy and since the books are out of print, they aren't taking sales away from the publisher, so I think its perfectly okay. Legally, very grey, but karmically speaking, should be okay.
Shinei!

errol

Post by errol » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:40 pm

Very touchy subject, but thank you for bringing it up Tach.

First, I own English vol 1-26, and I would like to have back-up scans also.
I find myself reading manga in a scanned formed nowadays, since i do it at work mostly 8) IT job.
I also think alot of people nowadays are reading manga digitally, it seems like a natural progression, especially for sci fi.

Sadly enough, these scans are the only way for people to get into FSS or try to finish the story were they couldn't collect the books anymore.

On a positive note, for me at least, it could spark the scanslations of JP Vol 11&12. I doubt we will ever see official english translations.

One last positive, alot of people are not particularly happy with the official translations. Scans could give the community a chance to modify them with their own interpretations to better convey Nagano's story.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:01 pm

I'm monitoring this thread. I'll give people a day or 2 more to post their thoughts then I'll have a poll for all of us to take.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:43 pm

I agree with what most of you guys have said above - very touchy subject. scans can probably be considered as piracy but then there are people who own the books but want scans too for quick reference or online discussions. then there are fans who really want to buy the books but can't complete their collection coz the books are out of print.

I think it should be ok if the scans are not hosted here? a link should be ok. Personally i find it much more enjoyable to read manga and books in my hand rather than on the screen, maybe i'm old-fashioned lol.. :P
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Hel

Post by Hel » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:44 pm

Yes a touchy subjet... like some of us I would say stock them somewhere but not here so that we won't have problems if something append, but then again the best way would be a poll so everyone could vote then the "correct" desicion will take place.

Yes if someone could/would like to scanlate that would be great, and i could help editing :D

Newton

Post by Newton » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:07 pm

I just had somebody ask me about getting the translated FSS manga. Sadly, I had to dash his hopes with the news that it's out of print, and that finding them would be a life's journey.

I'm all in favor of making scans available on the 'Net. Obviously, neither Toys Press nor Kadokawa care about sales of the English volumes, otherwise they'd still print them. Therefore, it would be a great service to FSS fans to have a place where they can read the translated manga online.

It would be great for me to be able to tell the aforementioned fan, as well as others, where they can get in on Five Star Stories and join in the fun.

Euhsung

Post by Euhsung » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:24 pm

I don't really have a choice when it comes to this issue; I'll confess and admit that I already use online scans to feed my FSS fix. Granted, I buy every piece of FSS stuff that I come across, but it's hard to come by when online shops are not an option and books are out of print.

AJ

Post by AJ » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:23 pm

Maybe make the scanlations lower quality so they can't be printed out? I'm not sure that makes it better necessarily but like it's been pointed out, you can't even get the manga anymore so no one is losing revenue; us fans are just losing the chance to recruit more fanatics.

If the scans were posted somewhere, there would be hope that scanlations of the rest would eventually be available to the english speaking audience.

Vincent Valentine

Post by Vincent Valentine » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:08 pm

I need FSS Vol 20 ENG. I stopped short of my purchase when a saw a seller's price of USD 150. That's about $5 a page, isn't it?

That's not piracy, but it's more akin to HIGHWAY ROBBERY.

I'd like FSS Eng. to continue. I think that scanned versions would help create awareness for the manga. I'm all for it.

The publishers stopped caring years ago.