Greeting, elations, and rantings

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Brizzle MKII

Greeting, elations, and rantings

Post by Brizzle MKII » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:53 pm

First of all, hello, new member here. Second of all, I just wanted to say how thrilled I am to see a community for mecha, and most especially, the FSS.

I've loved FSS since I first saw a terribly subbed bootleg DVD of the movie years ago. I was excited when I saw an english version of the manga at the Kinokuniya bookstore here in Southern California. I bought all that was available and bought up the new editions as they came out (I was fortunate in that my local comics store stocked them).

However, as you all know, the English print run stopped. :(

After recently re-reading the English volumes, I have gone through withdrawls again. This forum has given me hope. I've heard that Nagano Sensei has vowed to translate it all the way through. As long as that may take, there is now hope.

In the mean time, I'll be finding and purchasing the japanese volumes.

And finally, I get around to actual questions: Which volume does the English version leave off on, and are there any translations (text or otherwise) available for the japanese volumes?

Thanks for reading my rant, and I'm so glad to finally find people to discuss FSS with!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:51 am

The English versions leave off with Volume 26, which is the equivalent to the last 1/3 of the Japanese Volume 10, with the attack on Float Temple. Since then, Japanese volumes 11 and 12 have been released, and 13 is being prepped for serialization in Newtype in the next year or so (hopefully)

As far as Nagano requiring that all of the tale be translated is concerned, Toyspress handled the translation and sold it through the Kinokuniya bookstore chain (though later it was also picked up by Diamond Comics Distributors...the biggest comic distributor in North America) and as far as I know, their contract only went through to Japanese Volume 10...which was being written as their deal was being inked. Hopefully, they'll make another deal for the next 10 volumes soon. However it may be that they're waiting for some more of the Japanese volumes to be released before following up on them, which means its going to be a LOOOOOOOONG wait for english reading fans of FSS.

In the meantime, we'll provide updates to whats going on in the Japanese version as its being serialized in Newtype Magazine and published as tankoubans in the Land of the Rising Sun. We have a fairly decent sized community of asian FSS fans who have the ability to read the Japanese and/or Chinese or Korean versions and do translations of the manga and supplemental material for us on a regular basis, so those FSS fans who frequent this site will get ahold of this information before most others. We're pretty topical here, so stick around if you want up-to-the-minute details about the goings on in the Joker Universe.

Welcome and thanks for the kind words!
Shinei!

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:30 am

Hi Brizzle,

Not to answer your questions or anything, but we had the official FSS english translator here on gears a while back. It was probably the closest thing we have had to a flame war on the Gears FSS boards. It would be interesting to see if John Wisnom will be involved in any future FSS translations (if any more translations are ever made...)

nkn1983

Post by nkn1983 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:05 am

Really? Dang I missed out on that, is the thread still available somewhere?

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:01 am

Search the FSS boards for "wisnom" and you will find him. It was back in july 2005. He didn't stick around for very long.

Here are two of the threads he contributed to:

http://www.gearsonline.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=785

http://www.gearsonline.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=457

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:25 pm

As I recall, Wisnom was a bit 'flippant' about the whole translation thing. Not taking it very seriously, not caring about long established translations of particular place/character names, etc...

This is just my impression though. It's been a long time since I read his actual comments.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:29 am

KOG wrote:As I recall, Wisnom was a bit 'flippant' about the whole translation thing. Not taking it very seriously, not caring about long established translations of particular place/character names, etc...

This is just my impression though. It's been a long time since I read his actual comments.
well of course. He was just some bloke that was hired to do a translation job. Why would he care for what came before?
Shinei!