Some questions about Mortar Headds

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

TheBlueGiant

Some questions about Mortar Headds

Post by TheBlueGiant » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:36 pm

New poster, and relatively new fan of Five Star Stories, with a few questions.....

1) I understand that Toypress has stopped translating the manga. Did they make an official statement, or is it just one of those dozens of manga series that have been delayed "indefinitely". Also, has anyone contacted Toypress to ask about the situation?
1a) In light of this situation, can anyone suggest a good importer for the Japanese manga?

2) Does there seem to be appreciable difference in the combat performance of Spadds over Speids, or visca versa?

3) How do Laser Reflectors on a Mortar Headd work?

4) What exactly are S-Mines?

5) Mortar Headd veils seem to be able to turn Spadds without taking any sort of visual damage. Am I mistaken, or do they have some sort of beam reflectant coating/field generator?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Re: Some questions about Mortar Headds

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:38 am

TheBlueGiant wrote:New poster, and relatively new fan of Five Star Stories, with a few questions.....
Sure, go ahead...
1) I understand that Toypress has stopped translating the manga. Did they make an official statement, or is it just one of those dozens of manga series that have been delayed "indefinitely". Also, has anyone contacted Toypress to ask about the situation?
As far as I know, Toyspress has been silent on the status of future English versions of FSS. Some of us believe that because the copywrite of FSS recently transferred from Toyspress, to Nagano's new company Edit! (see the Automatic Flowers website) that this new development has put a wrinkle on future english FSS intallments.
From what I understand though, when the original deal was made for the english version, Volume 10 (japanese) had just came out and the contract was set for the manga up to that point. That point has been reached (volumes 24, 25 and 26 comprise what was in Japanese volume 10) so a new deal will likely need to be brokered for volumes 11 onward.
However don't be too disheartened. One of the conditions Nagano stated when giving his permission to publish the FSS manga in english was that if they started the project, they must see it through to its conclusion, no matter how long it take for that to occur. So likely Nagano intends to have new english versions made, but he's very busy with other stuff right now and simply doesn't have the time/resources to dedicate to that at this time.
1a) In light of this situation, can anyone suggest a good importer for the Japanese manga?
I'll let others chime in on this, as I too could use a good importer. I have yet to get volume 12 in my hands. Though I recently bought a copy of FSS Designs 1: ADK on Ebay from Otaku.com (I believe) and their service was quite prompt. I'm going to check and see if they have Volume 12 in stock soon.
2) Does there seem to be appreciable difference in the combat performance of Spadds over Speids, or visca versa?
YES!

In general, Speids do more damage, because they are made from an incredibly dense material called Metrotekachrome. Thus, they have a lot of mass to them and when MH's get those things swinging around at the speed of sound, they do quite a bit more damage than a Spaad.
Spaads are laser-bladed swords that do damage via heat-transfer and most MH's are very heat-resistant (even though Spaads are likely incredibly hot...) so their cutting power is limited in many situations. Also Spaads are fairly delicate and don't take damage very well. Speids are much more durable in that aspect. However Spaads have several advantages: They are small and light and multiple spaads can be carried with a fairly negligable increase in weight. Since they are Laser-bladed, they take no damage when used to deflect beam-ordinance. Some Spaads can be used to fire beams at range, so that they are a versatile weapon able to be used both at range and in melee. And lastly, when it comes to Spaad vs Speid, and by that I mean a Spaad and a Speid contacting one another in combat...the Spaad always wins, as they will cut through a Speid in most situations (we've seen this happen several times throughout the manga in both personal and MH combat)
So pretty much, if you want to do sheer damage, you carry a Speid. If you want versatility, carry a Spaad. Most MH's tend to carry both!
3) How do Laser Reflectors on a Mortar Headd work?
Of this I am not sure. To the best of my knowledge, Nagano has never explained it. My personal assumption is that they use Magnetic fields to bend lasers away from/around the MH.
4) What exactly are S-Mines?
Something else Nagano hasn't explained in great detail. Though I believe S-Mines first appeared in the anime Heavy Metal L-Gaim. I think their main purpose is to keep troops and light-armored vehicles at bay. They wouldn't even be a nuiscance to MH's.
5) Mortar Headd veils seem to be able to turn Spadds without taking any sort of visual damage. Am I mistaken, or do they have some sort of beam reflectant coating/field generator?
It seems that some (most? all?) MH veils and Active Veils have beam repelling fields of some sort, as seen in the battle between the MH: Auge and the Apache. It makes sense because if they didn't, Veils would be swiss cheese and quickly rendered useless in a heavy battle. The Joker galaxy does seem to have fairly advanced Force Field technology (the LED Mirage and the Jagd Mirage are both described as having barrier fields) so this is probably the case with Veils.
Shinei!

TheBlueGiant

Post by TheBlueGiant » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:20 am

Excellent. I really appreciate all your help. If I could, another question.

The calibers of weapons mounted on the LED Mirage Mortar Headd seem to be much larger than they actually appear. Are the Mortar Headd's actually larger than the stated 15m tall (They often appear to tower at heights upwards of 30m in the art), is the measurement given for the weapons actually measuring a distance other than caliber (round length, perhaps?), is a Joker Galaxy Meter not the same as a realworld meter in length, or is this just a matter of author inconsistancy?

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:50 am

Hi Blue Giant, and welcome :)

Hortar Headds are measured to the top (?) of their shoulders in stead of to the tops of their heads, but regardless of that, there is still a huge discrepancy between the numerical values given to MHs, and the size that they appear in the manga compared to their pilots.

The newer model kits seem to reflect their sizes somewhat better.

On the issue of metrics and Joker measurements, there was no official statement either way that I'm aware of.
John F. Moscato

TheBlueGiant

Post by TheBlueGiant » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:50 pm

Has any ground speed figure ever been given for a Mortar Headd?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:55 am

TheBlueGiant wrote:Has any ground speed figure ever been given for a Mortar Headd?
Not to my knowledge, though Admittedly I don't read Japanese or Chinese, so I must rely on others to translate. If Nagano has ever mentioned anything, I've never heard about it.

However, Nagano has mentioned that Mortar Headds are capable of moving at "The Speed of Light". Take that as you will, but many of us FSS veterans have assumed he wass alluding to their ability to teleport.

If one views the manga in certain scenes where MH's are charging full out, they seem to be able to muster quite a bit of speed. Several hundred miles per hour at least.

I'm assuming that flying MH's can attain supersonic flight, especially the ones that are specifically built for high-speed assualt (the Engage series, Cloudschatze etc)

In space, Mirage MH's are capable of mounting an optional backpack called a LUNA unit which allows them to acheive FTL speeds for interstellar transport. I'm assuming that other nations have similar equipment for their elite MH squadrons (though probably only Hathua and Fillmore. Such equipment would be prohibitively expensive and also, thats what MH carriers are for!)

Nagano is notoriously vague about the abilities of the war-machines that populate his series. This non-chalant attitude drives us hardcore fans mad, as we just want more info, yet Nagano has been taking his sweet time getting it to us. Keep in mind that The FSS debuted in 1986, but the inner workings of MH's were not revealed until the release of Smoke Walls in 2002!
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:57 am

Now one question for you:

Are you attempting to simulate the world of Joker through a Pen and Paper RPG?

Just curious...
Shinei!

TheBlueGiant

Post by TheBlueGiant » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:20 am

Actually, I am. I figured from the Horsepower given for the power plants for Mortar Headds they'd be able to easily smash the speed of light. I was just curious if there was some limitation on their surface speed, but it looks like not.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:51 am

For the purposes of a Pen and Paper RPG, I'd keep their ground running speeds to around 120-200 mph, their "Flosser" speeds to 300-500 mph (Flosser being their ability to skate along the ground via a surface effect or Ezlaser drive systems) and their Teleportation ability allow them to travel long distances near-instantaneously (like across a continent)

Considering the majority of Mortar Headds are very heavily armored, their design isn't very aerodynamic, thus atmospheric pressure would work to limit their "top speeds". More sleek, aerodynamic MH's like the Engage series or the Neptune could achieve much higher top speeds.

Which particular game system are you using for your game?
Shinei!

TheBlueGiant

Post by TheBlueGiant » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:43 am

It's homebrew. I actually would have expected a higher speed, but you are probably more knowledgable in this context than I. Also, are there any instances in the manga of Mortar Headds parrying an energy or ballistic attack with a Spadd or Speid?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:05 am

TheBlueGiant wrote:It's homebrew. I actually would have expected a higher speed, but you are probably more knowledgable in this context than I. Also, are there any instances in the manga of Mortar Headds parrying an energy or ballistic attack with a Spadd or Speid?
Yes, there are several such examples. One of them being the fight between the AUGE and the Apache.
Shinei!