Please help the "newbie"

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

sullanciri

Please help the "newbie"

Post by sullanciri » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:35 pm

Hello - guess I'm the newbie here, although I'm 43 and have been a Mecha fan forever. FSS is relatively new for me, and even with the net providing tons of great images, I'm still full of questions.

So far, I've only gotten my hands on the DVD, and have scoured gearsonline.

- any more sites in English ?
- how difficult is it to build a resin kit: I've got experience with metal mini's and plastic kits ... but can't even guess what sort of glue you use for a resin model
- the books, there's rarely a preview of the inside - so should I gamble on the quality judging by the covers
- books like "Smoke Walls" - what are those about ?
- where does a European fan go to get books - or more important - model kits, without paying through the nose for oversees shipping ?

Guess the fun is in the journey and discovery - but what to spend my money on, considering that I don't have an endless supply of the green stuff.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:53 pm

I haven't had much time to look around the Web lately so I don't know a lot about other FSS sites for English speakers.

FSS books are pretty high quality. I wouldn't worry about gambling on that.

Smoke Walls is #11 of the Characters series of art books. Full color illustrations of characters and machines from the manga focusing on book 11. Knight Flags may be a bit pricey but it is full of great artwork.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

sullanciri

Post by sullanciri » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:02 am

What a lovely group of people you all are - 82 views on this topic, and barely one person who bothered to say something. Must be an insiders club this ?

Gpenguin

Post by Gpenguin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:39 am

well, not everyone here is a dedicated FSS fan, and others might not feel confident in answering your questions properly.

on resin kits, difficulty depends on the kit. some are composed of a few parts, others hundreds. building them is similar to building a larger metal mini, meaning you have to cut and sand excess flash, drill holes and pin the parts together for stability and durability. you can use either CA glue or epoxy glue (I prefer the latter, since it forms a stronger bond)

getting the books and models might prove difficult in europe. the books are nowhere to be found, and if you happen to find a place that sells the model kits around these parts, they have probably marked them up to cover their own import costs. so it’s usually cheaper just to have them shipped from a dealer in Japan. I recommend you have a look at http://www.hlj.com, http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/ and http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html

hope that helps :D

hitori

Re: Please help the "newbie"

Post by hitori » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:03 pm

sullanciri wrote:- any more sites in English ?
- how difficult is it to build a resin kit: I've got experience with metal mini's and plastic kits ... but can't even guess what sort of glue you use for a resin model
- the books, there's rarely a preview of the inside - so should I gamble on the quality judging by the covers
- books like "Smoke Walls" - what are those about ?
- where does a European fan go to get books - or more important - model kits, without paying through the nose for oversees shipping ?
-No. FSS is not a widely distributed comic in non-Japanese speaking countries. Thus, not many FSS fansites.
-Fairly difficult. Modeling resins are brittle. Basic tasks are, drilling in supportive material between parts, sanding, filling gaps, surfacing, sanding some more. You use superglue.
-No. If you're seeking specific pictures, ask here first.
-Supplementary material/preview of what is going to be covered in the next year or so of magazine serialization. If you don't read Japanese, I don't really recommend it.
-Don't have answers to this.

Is that better? :)

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:53 am

Gpenguin wrote:well, not everyone here is a dedicated FSS fan, and others might not feel confident in answering your questions properly.
And sometimes the people who can provide answers aren't in a good position to answer when you pose the questions.

Like me. I've been out of action with an infected wisdom tooth and infected surrounding jaw area for the last week and a half.

elemental

Re: Please help the "newbie"

Post by elemental » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:37 am

sullanciri wrote:- how difficult is it to build a resin kit: I've got experience with metal mini's and plastic kits ... but can't even guess what sort of glue you use for a resin model
I would say you have enough skill to at least attempt a resin kit. Stick with a fixed pose kit for your first model. Search for some online guides to help you out with the basics of resin kit construction and you should be right. I think resin is far easier to work with than plastic. It's very easy to make a mess of a plastic kit, but just about any mistake you make working with resin can be fixed... right down to stripping the paint and starting from scratch.

When you finish a kit, please share pictures with other modellers here at gears. :)
If you want original kits, go to www.hlj.com . Considering most resins cost 20,000Yen or more, 1500 or so yen for postage is not unreasonable.

If you want a cheaper alternative try www.e2046.com or other recast sites. Much cheaper than originals, but be aware that you are getting an unauthorised "pirate" copy of the resin originals and the quality is OK but not as good as the originals. Some people are against recasts for ethical reasons, but that is your choice.

I hope that helps you.