Historical Tidbit

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Historical Tidbit

Post by Tachyon » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:15 pm

I'm trying to get myself psyched up for a trip to Japan in May so I started reading Japanese Tales by Royall Tyler (Pantheon Books, New York 1987). The introduction explains that most of the tales date from 1100 AD to 1350 and center around Kyoto, the traditional capital of Japan.

What's interesting is the parallels to Five Star Stories. I had always wondered why the Mirage Knights were divided info "left" and "right". The palace guard of old Japan was divided into left and right! Page xxiv says, "The Palace Guards consisted of Gate Guards, Military Guards, and Inner Guards, each divided into Left and Right contingents." However, "Left was preferable since it meant higher prestige." Nagano switched that apparently since the Orange Right is more prestigous than the Green Left.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Falk

Post by Falk » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:30 am

Nice find.
Maybe this could be another good addition to gears, a "Trivia" page, with historical/mythological references, as well as other references (like the krautrock references), also the designs sometimes inspired by various samurai armor (A-toll)... Well considering there's enough of this to make a decent page^^.