description of sword techniques

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

blade76

description of sword techniques

Post by blade76 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:49 am

I have seen transcripts and portion of the manga but i haven't seen any real fight can you give me a description of these sword skills.

Sonic ring slicer
Maximum buster typhoon

and do spaads have a blaster mode for ranged fighting?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Re: description of sword techniques

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:23 am

blade76 wrote:I have seen transcripts and portion of the manga but i haven't seen any real fight can you give me a description of these sword skills.
Sure!
Sonic ring slicer
The Sonic Ring Slicer is a technique where a Headdliner traces their finger in the air in a ring-like pattern and sends the shockwave to their opponent. Many Headdliners can trace two Rings at once, using either hand. We see Lachesis use this technique in Japanese volume 6 (English volume 13) Since the Headdliner uses the tip of their fingernail to create the vacuum, the resulting shockwave is extremely thin and "slices" through most material easily. It can also be created via the tip of a blade or knife.

There is an enhanced "Kensai" version of this technique known as The 12 Light Wheels possibly created by former Kensai, Ena Dai Gu Fillmore. The Headdliner Body Divides into 12 Images and throws a ring slicer (or two) from each image!!! We see both Ena and Spark do this in Japanese book 10 (English book 24 and 26)
Maximum buster typhoon
Ah yes. The good old M.B.T.

First off the Headdliner must build kinetic energy for the attack. He or She will smash their foot into the ground (or wall or whatever) and absorb the massive impact. Taking that absorbed energy and harnessing it into a massive Shockwave, the Headdliner releases all this energy with a mighty Kiai and blows away his opponent. The Headdliner's own natural strength is multiplied many times by the additional energy absorbed by the initial impact.

As far as I know only Rognar and Maximum know this technique and both Headdliners are so strong, they can damage Mortar Headds with this move! Rognar uses this move to great and impressive effect in Japanese book 10 (English book 20) It was quite possibly the coolest scene in FSS thus far.
and do spaads have a blaster mode for ranged fighting?
Why, yes they do!

Atropos (disguised as a lady Headdliner by the name of A.T.) uses her Spaad on "Blaster mode" to take out a small troop transport in Japanese book 7 (English book 15) Another very cool scene.

There are lots of battle techniques seen and mentioned in FSS:

Sonic Blade (typical Anime-style shockblade attack)

Echo Blade (A deceptive move designed to confuse opponents. If done correctly it is unblockable)

Spiral Typhoon (A sonic blade style maneuver but with more power and impact)

Double Hexagram (Body divide into 6 images and unleash a Sonic Blade from each one)

I'm sure Nagano will create even more as the story progresses.
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:28 am

Also keep in mind that many of these moves can be done while riding in a MH as well. The techniques power is of course, multiplied to Mortar Headd scale. The Sonic Blade is most common, though there are others such as Black Storm aka Breakdown Typhoon known by the Colus Royal family.

No word yet on whether or not the M.B.T. can be scaled up to Mortar Headd scale. That would be scary.
Shinei!

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:58 am

actually i have the impression (maybe read it somewhere) that only the stronger knights will be able to execute all such special techniques, means most average knights can't.

We also see Kaien using M.B.T (miss-spelt as MTB?) in JP Vol 11, vs Madora...
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:59 pm

Rubel Colus wrote:actually i have the impression (maybe read it somewhere) that only the stronger knights will be able to execute all such special techniques, means most average knights can't.
Some techniques I'm sure can't be done by average knights, but other common techniques like Ring Slicer and Sonic Blade should be doable by the average knight, depending on skill I think.

Why?

Because Est, a Fatima with a Martial Arts rank of only B2 (A) can pull off a Sonic Blade. She can even pull off a Parallel Attack (Body Divide) and can combine them (she pulled off half of a Double Hexagram to save young John from Decors in book X, remember?) so if a Fatima who has only 80% of the strength and speed of the "average" headdliner can do it, any regular knight should be able to accomplish the task.

Now higher ranked skills like Double Hexagram, Spiral Typhoon, 12 Light Wheels and of course the M.B.T. are impossible for knights of average strength and skill. I'd imagine that these skills all require extraoridnary levels of either Strength, Speed/Agility or skill to accomplish and probably varying combinations thereof.

For example, Echo Blade probably requires a fair amount of speed to accomplish, but the biggest attribute is one's skill with the blade. Its a feint maneuver, so it shouldn't require much strength at all. However, most Headdliners simply don't have the skill required to pull off the maneuver successfully, especially against opponents of greater skill, but in the hands of someone with both the extreme speed and skill like Deimos Hierarchy, it can be an almost unbeatable technique.

I think the reason most HL's don't attempt these fancy moves against other Headdliners is because attempting something like that against a more skilled opponent would be foolish. It would leave them open for counter-attack and a more skilled opponent would see it coming a mile away and take advantage of any openings they saw.

Kensai and Sword Master level Headdliners pull off these techniques with impunity because most of the Knights they meet are of lesser skill and strength and fall to these tricks more easily. We see what happens when even the great Dougulus Kaien tries his tricks against Madora....absolutely nothing. She saw it coming. Heck, even Spark's 12 Light Wheels fails to scratch Decors, but Ena Dai Gu shocks and surprises both Iku and Oracon Harris..and Harris is Greater Heaven position!
We also see Kaien using M.B.T (miss-spelt as MTB?) in JP Vol 11, vs Madora...
Yeah, but it looked totally different from what Rognar did. And Kaien didn't "wind it up" so it was probably a much lesser powered version.

And about that scene...knowning now who Madora really is, I'm perfectly okay with her dodging all that. Before it seemed kinda strange that she would be able to do it, but now we know why :)

I guess Kaien mus have sensed who she was as well...otherwise why would he unleash on her that way. He was only using his pinky on other strong knights just to show them who was Daddy.
Shinei!

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:00 pm

I think Est is not your average fatima... even though i agree that from her power gauge, she shouldnt be much stronger than an average knight. Perhaps you're right about skill. "Mind, Skill and Body"?

In fact, Est was executing Breakdown Typhoon in that scene. Did the Eng vol say that? She learnt it from Dimos who created this skill.

I wonder if Est is able to execute such skills under normal conditions. She may understand how to execute these moves, but we didnt really see her do it herself. We only saw her do parallel attack and delay attack. I suspect she was able to execute Breakdown Typhoon only becoz she really wanted to save Jhon so much that went over her max for that time.

As for the 12 Light Wheels (Double Hexagram), seems that its main purpose is to keep ur opponent in place.

There has been alot of debate over this MBT/MTB, not sure if they are the same, but they look very similar.

Previously Madora is still below Kaien in the power chart....
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)