MACROSS II: Lovers Again

Write a review or respond to one posted on Gears Online.

Moderator: kosh

Grebo Guru

MACROSS II: Lovers Again

Post by Grebo Guru » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:35 pm

Macross II had a lot of potential, but didn't really live up to it. It is a decent OVA series (I recommend the OVAs, not the movie). Some of the mecha designs -- most notably the Valkyrie II -- are indeed great. The characters are pretty good, actually. And there are many good ideas. I many ways, it is what everyone WANTED in a Macross sequel, it just didnt do it very well.

The setup: Earth has been revitalized, somewhat, in the decades since the Great Space War. Cities have been rebuilt (using cannibalized Zentraedi ships! Its cool!) and UN Spacy pretty much runs human civilization. Ever few years, another random Zentraedi fleet shows up and attacks Earth, but with the power of music on their side, UN Spacy always beats back the attacks with ease. In fact, the Sol system is now full of "Minmei Defense" satellites which broadcast music whenever an unidentified Zentraedi fleet shows up. Amusingly, a festival is held on the moon every year to show off UN Spacy's newest advances and to choose a new pop song which will be used for the "Minmei Defense" for the next year.

Anyway, UN Spacy has it really easy thanks to the Minmei Defense, and they have become lazy and soft. Then along comes a Zentraedi fleet which is different. These Zentraedi cant be stopped by the Minmei defense, because they are being controlled by a race of humanoid Micronians called the Marduk -- who used BATTLE SINGERS to maintain control their hordes of Zentraedi soldiers even in the face of the Minmei Defense. All of a sudden the soft, lazy UN Spacy is on the ropes. The Minmei Defense doesnt work, and the Marduk-commanded Zentraedi are ripping through their forces...

The idea is GREAT. However, the story falls flat for a few reasons. For one thing, the Marduk are barely better than Zentraedi themselves -- they apparently live for war and have barely any culture of their own. A sadly oversimplified and too-Zentraedi-like race of enemies. For another thing, the Battle Singers are not the scary, drum-beating types you might imagine -- they're willowy girls who just sort of go "laaaaaaaaa" and are generally underwhelming. Plus there's this whole pointless plot involving the Marduk's obsession with the "Alus", which is understood to be the Macross... But its clearly not, given how underwhelming it is when the Macross rises again. (Actually, Im of the opinion that the "Alus" is EARTH, but there's little to support this.)

Still, the series has good characters, lots of action, excellent music, and a very true Macross feel. Which is more than I can say for Macross 7.

Mave

Post by Mave » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:39 pm

Yup, liked the characters and the mecha...the rest was kinda meh.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:41 pm

Macross II

:roll:

The only good thing to come out of the debacle that was Macross II was the VF2S Valkyrie II. Great VF design. Better than a lot of the newer one's (though, I do like the VF21 a bit better). I saw a picture of the VF2S with FAST packs instead of the Super Armed Pack from Macross II and it was one of the most beautiful mecha I'd ever seen. Still cannot find that picture to this day.

:cry:
Shinei!

WayS'Lo'

Post by WayS'Lo' » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:36 pm

Funny story really, i found the first 2 eps ages ago, adter the tapes had been discontinued here in the uk, and from the first two eps i thought it was amazing. It had nearly everything going for it, cool charas, AWESOME music, very nice mecha design.... But o man do i wish i had left it there and made up my own ending. Watching the last ep still makes me want to slam my head into the nearest wall.

Quanto

Post by Quanto » Wed May 30, 2007 1:50 pm

Meh, i liked it. Definately cheesy, but still fun to watch. I got a kick out of it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the continuous emphasis on "culture." I wouldn't have called UN Spacy's little light show "Culture." I wasn't a fan of sticking all of the world's landmarks all in one spot either :P

But beyond that, the space battles were still pretty fun to watch :D