RahXephon

Write a review or respond to one posted on Gears Online.

Moderator: kosh

Grebo Guru

RahXephon

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:02 pm

My girlfriend and I watched all 26 episodes of this series over the past week. It is notorious for being the directorial debut of Yutaka Izubuchi, and its manga adaptation is currently being published by Viz.

The story:
In the late 2020s Tokyo is isolated from the rest of the world, and is being manipulated by beings called the Mu (or Mulians). 17-year-old Ayato Kamina is destined to control a titan called RahXephon, and with it he is destined to "tune the world".

Themes:
Dysfunctional relationships, family interrelations, relating to women, music, identity, and (marginally) giant robot-ish combat.

Impressions:
Many shows are accused of being Evangelion ripoffs. This is an easy thing to say, since Evangelion borrowed elements from all the greats before it and mixed them together in a unique new way. However, RahXephon really IS a ripoff of Evangelion (although its first few episodes are more of an inside-out ripoff of Megazone 23).

RahXephon has a fairly simple story and relatively uninteresting characters. It attempts to make up for this by hiding information from the audience, and gradually revealing it over time. The show is deliberately obtuse and confusing, without any reason, and overall it is hollow and unstatisfying.

From a giant robot fan's point of view, the show is similarly underwhleming. Cast Brave Raideen in the role of Evangelion Unit-01 and you've got RahXephon. Except, of course, without the extreme creativity or drama.

Overall, RahXephon tries to put a new spin on the mecha/teen angst formula, but in tries way too hard and ends up simply being an obfuscated tangle. Save yourself the time and money on it. Go watch Evangelion and Megazone 23 instead, if you haven't already.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:43 pm

I could use more straight reviews like this. :D
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:29 pm

so basically, don't show it near an open flame, especially if you didn't like Evangelion?

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:42 pm

hahah, I was about to download this...

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:48 pm

Just to be clear, I LOVED Evangelion. So whether you liked Eva or hated it, Id say this show is still not very good.

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:57 pm

Mmh, I didn't find it that bad, I would even say that I was quite pleased with it.

I've not seen Eva in its entirely (yeah I know, shame on me^^), but if there's an anime where characters are boring, it's in Eva :p
On the contrary, I found Raxephon's characters quite fresh. Well of course you wonder where in the world there could be a military organisation with so many teens/young adults at important posts (mostly cute girls of course :p), but at least those characters know can talk much than just "...", and they're not annoying the way Asuka is^^.

The plot really takes some times to evolve, and though it wasn't a problem for me, I can easily undertand it could be one for others.

But I think the Mü background isn't exploited enough (I'm not sure about "exploited", but you see what I mean^^)

Mave

Post by Mave » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:49 pm

I´m one of those that liked this one more than NGE so there :P

Gotta agree with Falk on the characters...they are less disturbed here and doesnt have atleast 1 psychological disorder like the NGE-cast :twisted:
But they are still the same ol anime-stereotypes...

The action and mecha was meh. Atleast the planes and the Vermillion was nice.

WayS'Lo'

Post by WayS'Lo' » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:34 pm

I love Rahxephon, a i like Eva but Rahxephon tops it imo. Eva is far too over hyped, plus the Rahxephon movie is really something else.

Vincent Valentine

Post by Vincent Valentine » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:48 am

Rah is so unlike Eva.

It's inevitable that people make the comparasons though. It's like Eva, but very superficially.

I found Eva to be an imaginative, groundbreaking but VERY BADLY EXECUTED SERIES. One could say that RahXephon is Evangelion DONE RIGHT.

I won't say much else, unless pressed to speak.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:57 pm

I intend to give Raxephon a shot. I liked EVA, but I agree with many that I feel it is overhyped. (while other shows, like Escaflowne are underhyped)

The two series I intend to collect the most are Raxephon (if the first DVD proves worthy enough) and Brain Powered (duh, Nagano fan here). After that, I'm not sure what to get...there's just so much out there now...
Shinei!

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:05 am

the mech. design of the support vehciles in RahX is very eva-ish.

WayS'Lo'

Post by WayS'Lo' » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:23 am

Which is why inevitable comparisons are there. Youll find that thanks to NGE any mecha show that tried to do something more than be a mecha show will be blasted as being an NGE clone. Which is just unfortunate and ignorant most of the time.
Careful with Brain Powerd btw Nu, its a likeable show, but its probably the best ever example of all the best ingredients turning out badly. Tomino directing, Nagano designing, Kanno composing... well sh** this anime should have been amazing :cry:

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:47 pm

I never got past the first episode of RahXephon. The first time the main character looked bewildered and disturbed and started screaming I thought "the hell with dealing with this again and turned it off. Maybe I'm just intolerant of randomly screaming pilot main characters now :P . <shakes a fist at Eva>

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:49 pm

All you Eva detractors really baffle me... I thought the show was beyond great. Buuuuut, to each his own, eh?

KOG

Post by KOG » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Extremely Over-rated.