Bipedal military mecha question

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

hitori

Bipedal military mecha question

Post by hitori » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:02 pm

Does anyone know a site or book that has good realistic assessments on bipedal or multipedal walking mechas for use in military applications?

I'm interested in things such as their real-world feasibility (most important), possible tactical uses, cost, maintenance, technical challenges, etc.

Or if you have some comments or thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate that too.

Thanks

Junkyard Angel

Post by Junkyard Angel » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:34 pm

This site sells plans and patents -

"Pittman
Learn of the Department of Defense plans to build an armored nuclear capable battlesuit with strength enhancing exoskeleton utilizing artificial muscles."

http://www.futurehorizons.net/bionics.htm

KensaiMax

Post by KensaiMax » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:25 am

On a less fanciful note, these guys are actually building a mecha. For real. No pipedream.

It's been hashed over ad infinitum on their forums.

Junkyard Angel

Post by Junkyard Angel » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:03 pm

I think those are real plans. Unless the part about the DoD is made-up and all you get is a drawing of a screenshot off Forgotten Worlds.

The 'coming soon' video for another mech-suit project looks very interesting (same link as before).

I like the spring-walker - run down the highway, don't drive.

Just as a brief divergence,

Imagine a mechsuit that utilised the science of acupuncture along with piercing and tattooing and related bodyworks. A bit like having tracks in your skin, and inputs and outputs where the mech would hook-up to. 'The Breastplate of the High-Priest' Enhanced.

Junkyard Angel

Post by Junkyard Angel » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:49 pm

The MPS site! Ambitious bi-ped project. Three pairs of legs is more stable, but then that's just not the same as having two.

Remember those desktoys with the roundheaded pins in a frame, and you'd put some object like your hand into it to give an impression of the object? That kind of design for the soles of the feet, for rough terrain.