Winged Mecha

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winged Mecha

Post by Tachyon » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:09 pm

I had a chance this past week to watch the DVD release of MD Geist. It included the newer Death Force OAV. I thought the new fightech powered armor suits they designed for Death Force were a bit odd. They had big wings and allowed the wearer to fly. It seemed to take some of the "grittyness" away that made MD Geist what it was.

Anyways, I got to thinking that wings on mecha are showing up a lot lately. Just look at Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny! Seems like they should have named it Gundam Angel. I know wings on mecha is nothing new but it looks like the Gundam Wing movie marked the start of the current fad.

I started thinking about what other fads we've had in mecha anime/manga. Was there a fad for big, spiral drills in the early eighties? What other mecha fads can people think of?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:28 pm

Obvious ones would be spikes/horns/fins on the head. Just about every quintessential mecha ever had some sort of fin on the head (gundams being obvious) or horns or spikes.

There are others but they elude me.

Giant Satan Robo

Post by Giant Satan Robo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:33 pm

Maybe a brain-link fad that began in the mid-90s?

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:10 pm

Would we count Getter Robo? Which spawn lot of "ships-combine-into-mecha" anime (Combattler V, Voltes V, Zambot 3, Direcker XV)

And I think Daltanias is firstever super robot with lion head on chest...
Justice will never lose!

kosh

Post by kosh » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:32 pm

The transformable mecha fad that Macross made popular or how about the original giant robot fad that Tetsujin 28 started . :wink:
Do you understand?

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:05 am

flying fists?

laser beam eyes?
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)