New Developments on the Web

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Developments on the Web

Post by Tachyon » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:02 pm

I stopped by the official Gundam Web page today. They've got images, tech specs and background descriptions for many mobile suits now. Here's an example.

Mecha Web sites like this one have long been the sole keepers of such information for fans on the Web. The writing is on the wall now. I had entertained ideas of making Gundam 0083 or Z Gundam sections for this site but I don't have any reason to now.

In truth, I don't see it as bad. Good image galleries will always be nice for fans. I never did like researching and translating the tech specs.

Side stories like Sentinel and Hathaway's Flash probably won't be covered for some time so the sections here on those topics will still be of value to fans.

I'm already looking forward to non-Gundam projects. There are a lot of good mecha designs out there. How many Web sites do a good job of covering designs from Super Robot Wars? I'm sitting on a nice pile of material from that video game series.

Times, they are a changin' -- but GEARS Online has plenty of good stuff to bring you.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

kosh

Post by kosh » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:36 am

I wouldn't say sites like that will ever replace sites like yours Tachyon.The images you catalog here are FAR superior in quality to the company sites,a FAR better selection and FAR more interesting...showing little seen variations or rough sketches.The company sites will throw-up one well known promo-pic and that's it,webmasters like you find the common stuff and also the rare and uncommon.So to me,sites like Gears on line will always be superior to the big commercial ones,so don't get discouraged or give-up on your plans for new sections,take your time and enjoy doing it and create a site that puts the commercial sites to shame.
Do you understand?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:02 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. If I do a Z Gundam or 0083 section I'll make it more of an image gallery and just link to gundamofficial.com for stats and background descriptions.

After I do some other projects here I've been thinking about sections for Gundam carriers/cruisers and the mobile suits that carry the name "Gundam." There's some really great Katoki line art and color art from other artists for the various Gundam units that I don't see much on the Web. Plus, to be honest, Gundam is a bigger draw than other mecha shows. I have a feeling I'll periodically do some Gundam material to make sure the public keeps visiting this site.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:15 pm

Also, there are literally dozens of sites out there for Gundam, Macross, Evangelion and others. What needs to be covered are those series (and one shots) that have great Mecha designs and stories, but the english speaking anime/manga community are largely unaware of. Shows like Zeorymer (you got that covered though...thanks!), Dangaio, Dunbine, Getter Robo, Patlabor, Dougram, The Five Star Stories (most of all!) and others more obscure.
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:25 am

I've got some great material for Super Robot Wars and I'm slowly gathering more scannable art for Five Star Stories and L-Gaim. Just need the time to polish off the Sentinel pages!

khalahaley

Post by khalahaley » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:29 pm

SRW! Nice, as a SFW fan, thats a good news for me :D .