New mechas

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Temjin

New mechas

Post by Temjin » Wed May 25, 2005 10:01 am

Those are self made, but I hope you guys find it interesting. The first one is called M30, it's a light class Airborne mecha. Second is M27, Stanard Mutli Purpose land type mecha. They are some where in between gundam and patlabor size. Any suggestions on upgrade are welcome. :)

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Wed May 25, 2005 12:30 pm

Darn nice work Temjin.

As for upgrades - well apart from the obvious which im sure you have covered - ie. weapons and armour add-ons - Id like to suggest some rugged terrain rollers/tracks for the ground version - no mecha is complete in my opinion without Secondary movement systems.

But man they are realy nice - I know you mention rough scale but anychance of a silouette of a Patlabor to give us a direct visual reference?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed May 25, 2005 12:49 pm

Very nice work. Thanks for letting us see those.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Wed May 25, 2005 6:22 pm

Very good nice clean mechas.
I very like the body most, because it really stand up from other mecha design I have seen.
For the future I reall like to see some weapon designs of this mache.
Keep up man.
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com

Altron

Post by Altron » Wed May 25, 2005 11:39 pm

Very nice stuff!

But I must admit, they'd look better if they were a bit more rounded off. The arms look slightly frail, and the feet too small to support such a large mecha. Just my opinion.

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Thu May 26, 2005 4:00 am

are these 3d files or did you do this in Photoshop?

I like the style

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Thu May 26, 2005 11:33 am

Thanks guys

SteamTroopers, I'm thinking about doing a heavy version based on the ground type. Having some kind of tracks on the feet would be cool. Here's a visual reference with some anime mechas. I'm using Gundam EZ8, F91, and Helldiver from patlabor for reference. They should look something like that, correct me if I screw up the scaling.
http://www.sovereign-studios.com/qcmechas/m27scale.jpg

Altron, heh yeah I can see one of them look like going to fall over.

Zoxesyr, they are drawings and colored in Photoshop.

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Thu May 26, 2005 12:38 pm

Nice thats cool - puts them well within the perfectly feasible replacement for attack helicopters and AFV `s if you ask me. What kinda specs would you give them - ie.. ground speed - running/rolling and of course the flying speeds.

What kind of weapons would they be packing? modified recoiless rifles and maybe some kind of metal-storm point defence vs missiles etc for example.

I like the dimensions just as they are - Gundam have huge feet which looks great stylistically but I love the totaly utalitarian look of yours - minimum fiddly bits and unless they are made to go hand to hand and tip over tanks n stuff then I dont see y they should have bulging biceps.

Regarding the M30 - I take it those `nozzles` on the front and back lower chest and the groin area marked in darker colours are exhausts and thrusters? - I take it its a VTOL? do any of the components `fold` or move in order to aid flight and manouverability? and just one quick thought again on the airborne model - how about hardpoints or fixtures for bombloads and ordenance - and perhaps you could fit on some nice small-ish smoke projectors as standard for the ground model - they would be a nice compliment in my eyes to the hand held weapons.

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Fri May 27, 2005 8:22 am

I didn't work out all the numbers and speed. Looking at a M1a1 tank, the Max speed is 42mph. Both mechas should be able to go around 80mph in running. They can use those thrusters for landing and jump jet, but they can't fly like an aircraft.

The four nozzles attach to torso on M30 are fixed thrusters, the one at the bottom can fold side to side. For weapons, I'm thinking about a submachine gun or something not too heavy. Attachment weapons or an internal gun would be nice.

hitori

Post by hitori » Fri May 27, 2005 1:13 pm

These are great!
If you used photoshop to do everything, you must have a great sense to represent space and volume.
They really look as if drawn in 3D.

I have a few questions, too.
What are these guys used for?
They are quite tall yet fast, fairly exposed joints, and looks to have thin exo-skeleton.
Clearly not an alternative to tanks.
You mention submachine guns, so it must be some kind of military use?

Really cool Temjin.
Hope to see more of your work!

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Sun May 29, 2005 7:31 am

They are military mechas. The first one is a light weight class, and the second one is a medium class mecha. I think that's the reason they have fast speed and thin body. If they are heavy mechas, they probberly have heavy armor and slow speed combinations instead.

Thanks, if I have something new to show. :)

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:11 pm

Ha yup', not my favourite design style (I'm more into FSS style with horns and pointy stuff here and there that are useless to fight for usefull tu style^^, though my design -when I'll do some- would be (or should be) a bit more practical than FSS), but nice drawing style, really clean :D

Did you do a design formation or whatever ? Or just learned by yourself maybe -cuz' that blue-ish color is often used in design drawings afaik)

Just one little thing, aren't the legs a bit to short compared to the thigh, well maybe not that much, but the knee joint looks just a little to low. Or maybe that's because for once, it's the thigh that goes down upon the knee joint rather than the leg covering it.

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:35 am

Ah sorry, I'm not sure what do you mean by design formation. About the blue color, I might have learn that from school or saw it some where in the past.

NiTRO493

Post by NiTRO493 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:44 pm

also, the joints that connect the upper legs to the body should be gray.
Last edited by NiTRO493 on Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:25 am

Nitro493, thanks for your comment, with all the respect please take down your edited pic.