Web Ideas?

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Altron

Web Ideas?

Post by Altron » Tue May 24, 2005 8:54 pm

Well, folks, I'm finally going to re-launch my lost mecha site "Mech Infinity" as just "Infinity." If you'd like to go, the URL is http://www.in-finity.cjb.net

But the reason I'm making this thread is for ideas on how to improve my site.

(firstly) I know I need to get some content on there, but what kind of content is interesting? I'm going to have graphics (by me) of mecha, as well as plenty of mp3s and maybe a few trailers linked to Bandai's website. Is that a good idea?

(second) I would like to know how (and/or where) I could host all this stuff. I have a free server to base myself off of, but I'd like to be hosted elsewhere, perhaps on an affiliate's server, so I wouldn't need that crappy ".cjb.net" domain name. I want my site to move quickly, and look clean.

So, in summary, any layout suggestions, content suggestions, or hosting ideas are welcome. Thanks! ^_^

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue May 24, 2005 8:59 pm

I say go with blog style.
That way you wouldn't have to worry about formatting too much and most blogging sites'll automatically arrange your articles by Subject and Date, povide Gallery mode, etc.
Plus, you'll be able to get visitor feedback on each of your posting.

For people who do not define their website by totally customized layout, blog style sites are the way to go.

G'luck =)

Altron

Post by Altron » Wed May 25, 2005 1:41 am

Thanks.

Although, I'm not too much of a fan of blog-layout, as I can't have multiple sections to it, or reference specific pages.

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Wed May 25, 2005 6:20 am

:) This is the input from my own readers when I was writing fanfiction, and was displaying original illustrations for sale and commissions...or when I join a forum:

Text has to be big. It also has to be very obvious with drastic color differences between the background and the text. If it's not big, then at least have it in different color. This is supposed to be common sense, but a lot of people don't use it. Anything that I have to use a magnifying glass on is...no. I'll never go back to that site even if the text has enlarged.

Gearsonline's site is a very good example of text color and size.

Here's an incredibly bad example = http://www.rinoa.nu/

Do not, do not, do NOT compress the text into a little box! Please don't make it the same color as the background...or have other text pile on top of it. It's insanely irritating and is not 'pretty'. It'll only cause the viewer to develope severe claustrophobia. It seems only girl webmasters do this though because...I guess good content is just not enough.

Graphics I actually like graphics. But it should be directly related to the main topic. Gearsonline is a very good example of simple, relevent use of graphics. It's about mechas. It's got mechas on the front page. If I came here and instead of mechas, I see anime girls wearing scraps of something trying unconvincingly to pass for clothing with massive, sagging, jiggling breasts spilling over them, then I won't ever come back.

The page shouldn't be completely black and white though. That's boring. It also should not immitate a 60's Flower-Power poster or compete (and win) against Las Vegas' neon city-scape.

Navigation is important. It has to be so easy to get around my 7 year old nephew can do it with just a look around the page. Skipping pages should be a breeze. Nothing should be automated because it won't work in all browsers. As in, please don't use too much javascripts or "movie" type programs.

Contents...what can I say? This forum is a good example of fun things to do. I like a site with at least 4 links. Anything less, I can't help but think I've been cheated. Of what, I'm not sure...fan contribution would be good, and not just on a forum, if you were to have one.

I've also found that forum types such as this is much more preferrable to groups.yahoo.com's or forums such as ones with only one big 'room' with little bullets for the main poster and smaller bullets after those for people who commented on the main poster. I hate that kind of forum and refuse to ever go back to the page, not just the forum.

S

Altron

Post by Altron » Wed May 25, 2005 11:37 pm

Lalasa wrote::) This is the input from my own readers when I was writing fanfiction, and was displaying original illustrations for sale and commissions...or when I join a forum:

Text has to be big. It also has to be very obvious with drastic color differences between the background and the text. If it's not big, then at least have it in different color. This is supposed to be common sense, but a lot of people don't use it. Anything that I have to use a magnifying glass on is...no. I'll never go back to that site even if the text has enlarged.

Gearsonline's site is a very good example of text color and size.

Here's an incredibly bad example = http://www.rinoa.nu/

Do not, do not, do NOT compress the text into a little box! Please don't make it the same color as the background...or have other text pile on top of it. It's insanely irritating and is not 'pretty'. It'll only cause the viewer to develope severe claustrophobia. It seems only girl webmasters do this though because...I guess good content is just not enough.
Readable text -- check.
Graphics I actually like graphics. But it should be directly related to the main topic. Gearsonline is a very good example of simple, relevent use of graphics. It's about mechas. It's got mechas on the front page. If I came here and instead of mechas, I see anime girls wearing scraps of something trying unconvincingly to pass for clothing with massive, sagging, jiggling breasts spilling over them, then I won't ever come back.

The page shouldn't be completely black and white though. That's boring. It also should not immitate a 60's Flower-Power poster or compete (and win) against Las Vegas' neon city-scape.
Ehh... the page is a bit bland, but it's clean, and isn't competing with Vegas' city-scape. I hope to add a few more things on there.
Navigation is important. It has to be so easy to get around my 7 year old nephew can do it with just a look around the page. Skipping pages should be a breeze. Nothing should be automated because it won't work in all browsers. As in, please don't use too much javascripts or "movie" type programs.
Non-automation, and easy navigation -- check.
Contents...what can I say? This forum is a good example of fun things to do. I like a site with at least 4 links. Anything less, I can't help but think I've been cheated. Of what, I'm not sure...fan contribution would be good, and not just on a forum, if you were to have one.

I've also found that forum types such as this is much more preferrable to groups.yahoo.com's or forums such as ones with only one big 'room' with little bullets for the main poster and smaller bullets after those for people who commented on the main poster. I hate that kind of forum and refuse to ever go back to the page, not just the forum.
Yeah, those kinds of forums suck. I must admit, I've had my fair share of forums, but never stuck with them for long enough to watch them grow, so they usually died with 10 members and 20 posts. For now, I'm going to hold off on them, just to minimize the amount of stuff I need to keep track of.