23%
What's Star Wars/Trek? Who cares? No comments
No votes

Total votes: 13

Rubel Colus

Star Wars or Star Trek?

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri May 13, 2005 12:28 pm

I've heard that a person can only love one and hate the other. :twisted:

With the Star Wars ep 3 coming next week, I'd like to find out how many of you are fans of Star Wars, and how many hate it. :twisted:

Also, who's going for the Star Wars 3 movie?
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Fri May 13, 2005 12:49 pm

I must add that I am completely numb to these new starwars film thingies - Lucas! what are you playing at ?

The last three are a total waste of green/blue backing canvas - and thats without seeing the 3rd episode - crikey I just want closure.

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri May 13, 2005 3:52 pm

Why is there no option for:

I LOVE star trek, and love/like Star Wars as well?

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Fri May 13, 2005 3:59 pm

Well semantics aside I think youll find there is.

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri May 13, 2005 4:30 pm

SteamTrooper wrote:Well semantics aside I think youll find there is.
The closest option is:

I LOVE star wars, and love/like star trek

Problem is, I only like Star Wars. Love is too strong a word. So that option just doesn't fit for me.

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri May 13, 2005 7:23 pm

For some reason, Startrek has never been that big (and even "that small") in France. I don't remember any of the movie was ever on TV. Or if it was, it was on the paying channels, or something like that.

So let's say I like Star Wars, 4, 5 & 6. ANakin really annoys me in the 3 first episodes (well we'll soon see how he bahaves in the 3rd), but in the 2nd, he's nothing more than a young stupid teen, who always act before thinking, if he even can think... And there's something wrong with those movies, don't know, the colors maybe, it looks like a final fantasy game... To much soft, rounded, never harsh, whatever... It could be some good entertainment but there are some real poor moment, like when he finds his mother, and as by chance, she just dies in her arm... She's been living on this planet for years, and she get caught just a few days before he comes... Then she dies right in his arms, while she's been there for days... Ok life is not cool sometimes, but that just sounds plain wrong.
Maybe the 3rd will be entertaining, a lot of action.

Oh yeah another thing, how come those OH-SO-POWERFUL jedis never felt even a bit of the dark side of the chancelor/emperor ?!
I hope we'll have a descent answer in 3rd ep.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Sat May 14, 2005 12:38 am

given the options, I pick..............................neither! (hows that?)

seriously, after the rerelease of the original trilogy, SW has done nothing but irk the hell out of me. I'm seeing 3 but only because I allowed myself to be suckered into the other by friends and family.

and ST? never could stand that show. oh, there are some neat concepts every now and then, but that show always bored me to tears.
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Giant Satan Robo

Post by Giant Satan Robo » Sat May 14, 2005 12:43 am

While I've never really watched much Star Trek, what little I've seen has bored me. However, as a nerd, I have the obligatory respect for the original series. Star Wars is almost the opposite. I used to be a HUGE SW fan. Then I saw the prequels. Frankly, I thought they were both terrible. Thing is, I'm still probably going to see Episode Three, if only because it's Star Wars. I think it says a lot about American consumer culture and branding if millions of people are going to pay to see something that given empirical evidence will probably be a huge letdown. Of course, I'd be only too glad to be proven wrong.

....Can I vote for "Spaceballs?"

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Sat May 14, 2005 4:04 am

At some point in the past I liked both, but now I am indifferent to both.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat May 14, 2005 6:40 am

An interesting topic. Mecha fans are often fans to differing degrees of most flavors of science-fiction. I like Star Wars and the original Star Trek TV series (and first 6 movies) although I never was a major fan. Star Trek Next Generation and everything that followed didn't appeal to me. The later Star Trek just seemed to lack the guts and determination of the original series. I'm one of the few people who isn't annoyed by William Shatner's acting.

I liked the first 3 Star Wars movies although there were always certain aspects of them that dampened my enthusiasm. I won't go into detail here as I'm not trying to look down on Lucas' work. The newer Star Wars movies appealed to me less than the original 3 but I'm certainly not alone there.

I'm still waiting for an American, high-budget big fleet battles movie. It could happen!
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

KOG

Post by KOG » Sat May 14, 2005 3:34 pm

Actually, if you check out the last season or two of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, you can see some rather nifty big fleet battles.

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Sat May 14, 2005 10:03 pm

Tachyon wrote:I'm still waiting for an American, high-budget big fleet battles movie. It could happen!
KOG wrote:Actually, if you check out the last season or two of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, you can see some rather nifty big fleet battles.
Babylon-5 had several huge fleet battles, using CGI technology that was comparitively primitive even for the time.

kosh

Post by kosh » Sun May 15, 2005 2:18 pm

I think I'm one of the few people in the states that just doesn't like Star Wars in any form , I'm a dyed in the wool Trekkie . Although I agree that ST : TNG lacked the " balls " that ST : TOS had , look at the era that each was made in , TOS was made in the '60s , we were in a war and everything was more confrontational , TNG was made in the age of diplomacy so it's natural that Picard went for the phasers far less often . I will admit I didn't like DS9 and Voyager quite aswell as TNG and I am ashamed to admit I didn't get to see as much of Enterprise as I wanted to , so I am withholding judgement on it until I can catch-up on the re-runs . On a side note , the show that really grabbed my fandom was Babylon 5 . The way that the story was written , in a continuing arc , was something that all sci-fi shows could take a lesson from , crude graphics or not .
Do you understand?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun May 15, 2005 6:40 pm

I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan. Always have been. I even like the Prequels (though I wish Jar Jar never existed) but not quite as much as the Original Trilogy (though RotS looks great)

I don't hate Star Trek, but I don't love it either. I liked the original series and I really liked TNG. DS9 was okay (episodes were hit and miss with me) and I despised Voyager. Enterprise I'm nuetral on, though I do like the actress that plays the Vulcan chick...she's damned hot.

I like Babylon 5 much more than Star Trek, and almost as much as I liked Star Wars. As mentioned earlier, the continuing story arcs made it far superior to Trek in the storytelling department, and the characters were fantastic, especially once the actors got comfortable in their roles.
Shinei!

Altron

Post by Altron » Mon May 16, 2005 1:17 am

Star Wars. No contest.

Whose movies made it bigger, and have earned Lucas one-word recognition in the minds of the world? That's right, baby.

Although, his last two movies SUCKEd. Burn.