Animerica magaizine going out of business

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tomexe

Animerica magaizine going out of business

Post by Tomexe » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:25 pm

I got the following computer printed letter wrapped in my May Animerica
Dear Animerica Subscriber,

Animerica will be evolving into a convention-only publication after the June issue, and will no longer be available via subscription.

Your Animerica subscription will be completed with our awesome new magazine, Shojo Beat. In case you already subscribed to Shojo Beat, your remaining issues will be added to your subscription.
This is very sad. Animerica has been the best resource on new product in North America for the last decade. While I like shojo manga just fine, I cant imagine the new magazine with its narrower focus is going to be as good for figuring out what to buy.

Not to mention that the old Animerica was just plain fun to read, they had good writers, they had a sense of humor.

Now it is just going to be a advertising flyer handed out at the VIS booth at cons... very sad. It deserved better.

And I guess I'll have to start buying the North American edition of Newtype, at twice the price...[/i]

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun May 01, 2005 7:43 pm

Newtype is pricey but I'd buy it if I had time to read it.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Mon May 02, 2005 7:55 am

Are the North American edition of NewType magazine having the same contents as the Japanese counterpart?
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Newton

Post by Newton » Mon May 02, 2005 7:12 pm

No, it doesn't.

For proper coverage, I get both the Japanese and American issues of Newtype (money permitting, which isn't often). It's a shame, because after all this time, Newtype Japan is STILL the better magazine in terms of anime coverage, artwork and goodies.

-Newt

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon May 02, 2005 10:12 pm

The deal with NA Newtype vs the Japanese Newtype is this: The magazines are very similar in style and presentation, both have large, lovely pictures, adds and articles and both include manga (FSS is only in JP Newtype though..sux!) but the NA Newtype concentrates on shows you are more likely to see on NA TV or find at Suncoast. Thats not to say it doesn't have info on new stuff in Japan...it has plenty...but the coverage on all the latest on Japanese tv is limited at best, compared to the JP Newtype. They give you short blurbs on the latest coming out in Japan, then spend volumes of the magazine discussing the latest episodes of Gundam Seed or Full Metal Alchemist (NA latest "craze"). The gaming section is also sadly lacking, mentioning games that gaming websites have covered months previous. Of course, their reviews aren't too bad, but its got a ways to go before it comes close to matching the Japanese Newtype for quality.....but it got off to a pretty damned good start. There is some real potential here, they just need to tap it properly...
Shinei!

Akuma Sephitaro

Post by Akuma Sephitaro » Fri May 06, 2005 8:46 pm

I'm trying to remember what Animerica was.... Any cover images?

2000YearsOldMan

anime magazine 0

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Mon May 09, 2005 5:40 pm

hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by 2000YearsOldMan on Mon May 09, 2005 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com

2000YearsOldMan

anime magazine

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Mon May 09, 2005 5:41 pm

Hello everyone, my name 2000YearsOldMan, I am new member of the site.
I agree with Tachyon, new type north america, is too much. animerica was pretty good before, but now it just too little anime news for me, also all the information in there were old.
I usually go to some chinese new sites, they have very good anime news uptade every week.
plus: news from ADV: subscribe 12 issues of new type magazine only $75, anyone interesting?
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com