My Idea for a New TV Series

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Idea for a New TV Series

Post by Tachyon » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:00 pm

We all have our ideas for cool new anime series. Here's one of mine: A show about the flight deck crew instead of the pilots and bridge crew! Let me explain. A lot of anime shows us the struggles of the captain/bridge crew of a ship and a few ace pilots. What about the engineers and flight deck crew? Why have they been short-changed for so long?

We mecha fans like the mecha designs and love it when the show offers excuses to bring in new designs. Why not make a show that focuses on the engineers and test pilots who develop new mecha?

PREMISE
A war has just started and one nation sends its flagship to the front lines. This flagship is a carrier with ample room for a large flight deck connected to an engineering bay. The reason? A new technology has just been discovered/developed that either allows for the construction of mecha or adds capabilities to mecha. The nation sending the flagship believes they can win the war by continuing to advance their technology in the field.

MAIN CHARACTERS
The show would revolve around a group of engineers, flight deck crew and test pilots. During the course of the show, lots of new mecha would be rolled out. Some would have too many glitches to keep around but others would continue to be refined and tested in battle. When too many pilots are wounded and the enemy presses close, test pilots are forced to take new designs into battle to save the ship. When the test pilots are hurt, engineers rise up to save the day (c'mon, who would understand the exotic new mecha better than their creators?).

FURTHER DETAILS
When the show starts out, the captain and ace pilots on the ship think of the development program as excess baggage and give the engineers a hard time. As time goes by, they come to see the value of the idea and start giving the engineers more help.

One story arc could be the head engineer's young right-hand-man leaves the ship to infiltrate the enemy fleet to steal a new technology. He learns something shocking about the nature of the new technology mentioned above and returns to discuss the ramifications with the rest of the characters.

What do you guys think? I say it's time to give the engineers and flight deck crew the spotlight for a change.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Altron

Post by Altron » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:56 am

Yeah, I can definetly see something interesting coming from this. But it might be too boring for Americans... I mean, most of us don't like to think too hard, and would cut off the television when they saw there would be little focus on the ace pilots.

Basically, I think I'd definetly watch it, but it would need to be really creative -- meaning it could get boring fast for a non-mecha buff. Sure, some people care about the specs and how it works, but most just wanna see the kill-em-up action.

Good stuff, especially the plot-arc. Although, it'd be better if they had to save the guy who went to get the technology as he was lost/hurt/MIA.

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:01 pm

It makes me think a bit of the recent anime "Planetes", which depicts the daily life of some space cleaners (in a near future, humans have set some colonies in space (not on saturn or pluton or whatever, more like the MIR spacestation, but way bigger, with artificial gravity, apartement, etc etc) and space rubbish is a danger for the spaceship, so they catch satelits rubbish in space).
So there is no war or mecha action or psychic powers, but the anime really has a different (fresh) feeling than usual, maybe more "adult".
On the other hand, I have to say it's a bit hard to follow (I mean hard to keep really interested), as there is no real main story, no suspense from one episode to the other, you may forget to watch the next episode.

But combined with more action as you present it, it could be cool.

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:58 pm

How about something a lot like Galaxy Quest - a cast of actors of a throw-away Live Action TV show - taken by Benevolent aliens seeking heroes to fight and train them for a great space war - enter Bad guy`s and upgrading of plywood Mecha and let the fun begin...