Of Manga and Men

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Of Manga and Men

Post by Tachyon » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:18 pm

Who is your favorite manga writer/artist who does mecha-related stories?

Masamune Shiro, Nagano Mamoru and Kondo Kazuhisa are the first ones that come to mind for me. I'm not sure who my favorite is, though.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

iniaes

Nagano Mamoru

Post by iniaes » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:34 pm

Nagano Maroruu hand down as he has developed some of the most original mecha and concepts, such as Schell bullet and obviousely FSS, I do not think that any other artist to date touches on his style of creating mecha. I am aiming to produce artwork with a similar styling to his.

Also Miyatake Kazutuka is worth a mention for Gunbuster, a classic, and quite realistic mecha, that despite being "simple" in design (i wish i had half his skill) he has created a fantastic story telling machine.
Last edited by iniaes on Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Engage

Post by Engage » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:47 pm

I would have to say Nagai Go is one of my favorites. I love Mazinger Z and Getter Robo. Classic.

Nagano Mamoru is (obviously) one of my favorites too. Mortar Headds=awesome.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:54 pm

Nagano Mamorou of course. Look at my username!

After him I would have to say Masamune Shirow and Asamiya Kia and CLAMP. Yeah, I'm old school.
Shinei!

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:50 pm

Mmh Nagano Mamoru with no surprise :wink:

And though he's not drawn mecha in it's "strictest" meaning (though one of the cyborg looks pretty much like a "true" mecha), Nihei Tsutomu, for having created Blame! (go buy it guys ! this is not an advice, but an order ! :P ), another piece of art including some awesome mecha-design (really I mean it, if you like Vampire Hunter D, Aliens, cybord stuff, dark atmosphere, go buy it !)

Looking at this topic (of course most of us are FSS-addicts so it's not representative), but there's not many mechadesigner who also creates the whole story (or we don't know them).

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:46 pm

Shiro, Nagano, Kondo-definately good. who else? who's my fave? thats tough.

I gotta be true to myself tho-

maybe not mecha in the traditional (robot) sense but I really love the manga I seen by Kenichi Sonada his depictions of cars and guns and other "mecha" in the industry sense are top-notch-

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:36 am

Nagano
Shirow
Miyatake
Asamiya

Its really hard to say anymore, I don't have much manga at the moment as its really hard to get english translations here (at least for me anyways)

are we allowed American manga artists too? if so, I also choose Fred Perry, he's designed som pretty neat stuff in Gold Digger.
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!