Mecha with dual handguns... a rarity.

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:44 pm

Aha, I see you've watched some John Woo films, SteamTrooper. Intersting idea you've got there, I will think on it.

It also occurs to me that the Demonbane from the NitroPlus video game "Deus Machina Demonbane" pulls some two-pistol action. It uses the handguns Ithaqua and Cthuga. (The game is full of Cthulhu references.)

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:42 pm

Do they ever show DemonBane going John Woo in any cut sequences? I saw the video, and they didn't show that, unfortunately...

-Newt

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:04 am

Beh... the Demonbane anime is so short and feeble its really annoying. The promotional videos on NitroPlus' site, and on other Japanese sites, are way better. Plus I have a spiffy Demonbane book. And yes, Demonbane does indeed go kinda JW with Cthuga and Ithaqua. Even holds one of them sideways, IIRC!

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:32 am

Heh... coming back to this thread two years later, it's nice to see that there has been some progress in this area.

The three main Mobile Suits seen in Gundam Seed Stargazer CE 73 (namely, the Strike Noir, the Blu Duel, and the Verde Buster) are all equipped with dual handguns. Yay!

Also, the main mech from Burst Angel, the Cybot "Django", uses twin handguns. They're even belt-fed. (Cool!) Here it is:

http://www.burstangel.com/wallpapers/burstangel_010.jpg

I'm pretty sure Ive seen other dual-handgun-sportin' mecha recently, but they're not springing to mind at the moment. They will, though.

Grebo!

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:40 am

Belzelutte from SRW J also use dual hand gun (called short launcher). Though not at same time, it throw one up in air while shoot other, then grab when it fall down and continue shooting.

And somehow we forgot Apharmd the Battler (from Virtual On: OT) who carries pair of sub machinegun...
Justice will never lose!

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:50 pm

A goofball reference- In "Trinity Blood", the character Tres constantly adopts a twin pistol firing stance- since he is a 'robot' character, he technically qualifies as a 'mech'.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:45 pm

Heh! Well, no... When we say "mech" (well, when *I* say "mech," anyway) the subject is limbed vehicles (mostly giant robotic weapons). But still, an amusing point!
Nightmare of Solomon wrote:A goofball reference- In "Trinity Blood", the character Tres constantly adopts a twin pistol firing stance- since he is a 'robot' character, he technically qualifies as a 'mech'.

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:26 pm

Just for you (and me too, really), I'm working on a two-gunner design. On more thought, maybe it's a Freudian thing...^_^

Oh, and to add something to the mix, let's bring up Demonbane. Demonbane does the John Woo thing, and balances it out by the two guns being heavy-duty shootin' irons. Unfortunately, there's not enough two-gun ballet in Demonbane to satisfy me.

I want the multiple-opponent thing. A face-off (oops, another John Woo pun!) between a single mech and multiple assailants would ROCK.

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:30 pm

GG:

Which spiffy Demonbane book do you have? I just picked up the Groundworks and Concept Art books... sssmokin'!

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:44 am

Newton wrote:let's bring up Demonbane. Demonbane does the John Woo thing, and balances it out by the two guns being heavy-duty shootin' irons.
Well, except the guns (Ithaqua and Cthuga) have the SMT:Expanding Plasma...

...and the human scale guns clearly have x10 scale weapons damage...
Newton wrote: Unfortunately, there's not enough two-gun ballet in Demonbane to satisfy me.
I agree...

oh, and these guns have hot anime babes as avatars...Not all that common from what I remember.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:47 am

I still not watch the anime, but two girls from FMP: TSR carries dual gun in SRW W. They first appear in Shadow but one of them later got the Codarl.
Justice will never lose!

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:38 am

Hmmmm. So right now, the paired-pistols-totin' mecha elite looks something like this...

Gundam Maxter (G-Gundam)
Bismarck (a.k.a. "Ramrod" from Saber Rider & The Star Sherriffs)
Texas Mack (from the Getter Robo franchise)
Hyper V-Stealth Robo (from MachineRobo Rescue)
Jango (from Burst Angel)
Dynamo Joe (from the old First Comics publication of the same name)
RGC-034 Rasangreef (SRW A, goes "John Woo" with two missile pistols)
Excellence Cosmo Diver frame (SRW R)
R-1 (SRW OG)
CAT1-X1/3 Hyperion Gundam Unit 1 (uses 2 beam SMGs to attack Moon)
Aussenzeiter (uses twin pistols in SRW OG2)
Demonbane (uses Cthuga & Ithaqua)
Strike Noir Gundam (Gundam Seed CE73 Stargazer)
Blu Duel Gundam (Gundam Seed CE73 Stargazer)
Verde Buster Gundam (Gundam Seed CE73 Stargazer)

I have a feeling I'm still forgetting some...

Grebo

Wingnut

Post by Wingnut » Thu May 03, 2007 3:38 am

The Endless Waltz version of the Heavyarms. Twin hand-held double gattling guns.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Thu May 03, 2007 3:41 pm

IN SRW W, Gai's GINN use two machineguns. Yes, John Woo's style machinegun.
Justice will never lose!

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Fri May 04, 2007 5:38 pm

Yet another odd-ball observation-

Didn' treally think about the Heavy Arm- (the same set up also applies to the Serpant in some configurations)

But if you think about it- When the Wing Zero splits it's Beam Rifle- it essentially becomes 2 pistols with really long barrels- each weilded with one hand-

Kinda cheezzing arround the edge of the concept- but literally true.