Best & Worst of Tomino Yoshiyuki's Works

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best & Worst of Tomino Yoshiyuki's Works

Post by Tachyon » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:06 am

Tomino has directed a lot of anime projects. I was wondering which series people considered his better work and which series people consider his "not so good" work.

I can't add much to this discussion as I've only seen 7 episodes of Z Gundam and maybe 15 of Dunbine.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Newton

Post by Newton » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:07 pm

For my money, it's something like this:

Best: Heavy Metal L-Gaim, Aura Battler Dunbine, Z-Gundam

Worst: Turn-A Gundam, Garzey's Wing

If necessary, I will explain my choices later. However, those are my personal best and worst Tomino creations.

-Newt

Poseidal

Post by Poseidal » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:51 pm

I like TAG. :(

I'd say his worst are Garzley's wing and possibly ZZ Gundam, although it's not that bad.

Mave

Post by Mave » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:51 am

Yeah, Turn A rocked.
Haven´t seen ALL of his works but the worst I´ve seen has to be either ZZ or Brain Powerd.

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:43 am

best: Yuusha Raydeen, UC Gundam Timeline, L-Gaim, Dunbine

worst: most alternate gundam timelines (although later on he lost more control), Brain Powered

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:55 am

What about CCA?! That is one AWEESOME MOVIE~! 8)
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Newton

Post by Newton » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:02 am

I didn't realize Tomino did Yuusha Raideen. I love that show.

I has been edumacated.

Thanks!

-Newt, who still wants the other half of Raideen on LaserDisc...

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:20 pm

Id have to say that Tomino's greatest work was the Gundam TV series. It's really just a masterpiece. (Although my favorite, personally, is Zeta Gundam.)

His worst? I'd say F91.

For reference, here's a list of Tomino's credits. I don't think its complete, but its all I can remember:

He started out doing storyboards for Tetsuwan Atom (!) and he also worked on Ashita No Joe and Princess Knight. His first directorial project was Triton of the Sea, and the first giant robot show he directed was Yuusha Reideen. And then came...
Zambot 3
Daitarn 3
Gundam (TV series and movies)
Ideon
Xabungle
Dunbine
L-Gaim
Z Gundam (TV series and movies)
Gundam ZZ
Char's Counterattack
Gundam F-91
V Gundam
Turn-A Gundam
Brainpowerd
Overman KingGainer

Garzey's Wing is in there somewhere too, though I don't remember where. He also wrote a whole bunch novels (mostly Gundam-related).

Quiddity

Post by Quiddity » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:02 am

It's hard to top the epic Ideon: Be Invoked... although I'd say the Gundam movie trilogy probably just edges it out for his best work. Zeta Gundam's up there too, as are the TV equivalents of first Gundam and Ideon. L-Gaim's quite good too, from what I've seen of it.

Worst? Well haven't seen anything bad from him yet. Gundam F91 would definately stand out as the worst of his work that I've seen, not that its bad, it just can't hold up to the rest of his stuff. Still got a lot of Tomino stuff left to see (Zambot, Daitarn, Xabungle, Gundam ZZ, Turn A Gundam, Gainer, etc...), though, will be seeing Brain Powered soon. Gotta love rightstuf.com, got the entire 26 episode series for less than $30. :D

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:16 am

Hmmmm, really? I must go check RightStuff.com too then. There are several boxed sets Im wanting.

Also, it occurs to me now that Gundam ZZ might qualify as Tomino's worst...

Quiddity

Post by Quiddity » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:42 am

Grebo Guru wrote:Hmmmm, really? I must go check RightStuff.com too then. There are several boxed sets Im wanting.

Also, it occurs to me now that Gundam ZZ might qualify as Tomino's worst...
I made sure to scoop it up during a Bandai sale a week or two ago, where they were giving something like 40% off. Even without the discount that particular series was quite cheap, as many are if you wait for the right time. Got the Gasaraki box set for $30 for example :P Got Aura Battler Dunbine pretty cheap as well.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:58 am

Just got myself the Brain Powerd anime and manga. Watched 3 to 4 episodes of it, and I think it has potential. To be ranked as Tomino's worst EVER, that is :roll:

The best thing about it is probably the sound track.

Quiddity > did urs come with the OP of all those nude women? I worry that I'd be branded as a pervert and can only watch it when nobody's looking... :?
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Quiddity

Post by Quiddity » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:49 am

Rubel Colus wrote: Quiddity > did urs come with the OP of all those nude women? I worry that I'd be branded as a pervert and can only watch it when nobody's looking... :?
Still waiting for it in the mail, so don't know yet. A Tomino anime with nudity in it though? Wow, I am really shocked. :roll:

Sign of Haro

Post by Sign of Haro » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:45 pm

F-91 and ZZ Gundam. F-91 was just... wierd. And ZZ Gundam pretty took Zeta's end and spit all over it. (granted the last few eps were good, too much was marred by those first 20~ eps)