Gearhead High Council Meeting

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gearhead High Council Meeting

Post by Tachyon » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:52 pm

It isn't often that I like to call an emergency session of the Gearhead High Council but I've received an Email I dare not ignore. A Japanese mecha fan sent me the following:
RE: Designers Page

on Okawara's article you introduce designs on "Legendary Giant Ideon" as his work. But this is totally wrong. According to a book "Sunrise Robot's Complete File"(http://www.takeshobo.co.jp/html/shousai ... yo=5505701), Submarine designed Ideon's mecha charactor. I don't know who is Submarine. I believe that it's a kind of designers' team.

Finally, MSA-005 Methuss is not Fujita Kazumi's design but Visual Design's, which was a sort of design team in Sunrise Studio( actually they called it "Vishall Design". I don't know what "vishall" means, though).
Can anyone help me verify this information? Gearheads everywhere need to know.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:06 am

It is true that Fujita did not design the Methuss. I can check with Mark Simmons if you guys want -- in fact, he may know something about this "Submarine" group too. I sure as heck don't...

Allllllthough, looking at Sunrise's official website I see that their Data Card for Ideon does indeed credit "Submarine" with Visual Design (undoubetedly what your informers took as "Vishall Design.")

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:39 pm

Please check on this with Mark if you can. I would really appreciate it. I'd like to keep the info on the Designers Page as accurate as possible.

It surprises me that Okawara didn't design any mecha for Ideon. I thought 1980 was a time that he was designing mecha of all kinds. If Fujita didn't design the Methuss I'll need to look up some of his Z Gundam designs. I want to have 2 sample designs for each designer on the Designers Page.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:32 pm

Fujita did the Byalant and the Messala. No question there. And as for The Ideon... actually, looking at the enemy mecha from that show, it becomes increasingly difficult to imagine Okawara having designed those things. The Ideon itself not being his is quite a surprise, though.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:51 pm

I'll try to set aside some time this weekend to swap out the Byalant with the Methuss under Fujita's description.

I am of the belief that Okawara was involved as a staff member when Ideon was in production so I don't think it's justified to remove Ideon from his credits on the Designers Page.

Thank you so much for the help.

Quiddity

Post by Quiddity » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:35 pm

I have no clue where this Kunio Okawara stuff got started, but I haven't seen anything from any official source that says he worked on Ideon. Anime News Network incorrectly crediting him certainly is a problem in spreading the rumor that he does do the mecha design. According to the Ideon Roman Album, Yuuichi Higuchi and Submarine did the TV series mecha designs. Both are listed for the compilation movie A Contact, and Higuchi alone is listed for Be Invoked.