Age Group

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:15 pm

I'm glad to see that the older generation of Anime and Mecha fans are still around (and still involved in the fandom), you don't see many people discussing the great shows of the by gone past anymore, I try to get a discussion going in other forums to see if anyone remembers stuff like Yamato and things like that, and people usually never reply, and the ones that do never saw the shows but are sure that they sucked because its old, how frustrating.
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

ShinDVDz

Post by ShinDVDz » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:55 pm

Damn, that's awesome...being the young little bitch that I am, I've not a chance to see those...in fact, the oldest anime that I've seen is Gundam...:(

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:09 pm

I turned 23 exactly one month ago :wink:

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:12 pm

I'm 34 and I often find myself in a nostalgic mood, pining away for the good ol' days of Anime.

Not married though, and no kids, so I have plenty of time to get on the net and discuss anime (and video games and movies and whatever) with other like-minded geeks. Well, plenty of time after I get home from work anyway...
Shinei!

Giant Satan Robo

Post by Giant Satan Robo » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:16 am

I'll be 18 in June, and I love the classics- give me Getter Robo, Great Mazinger, or good old Harlock over most new anime any day of the week. I even know the Great Maz theme by heart...

kosh

Post by kosh » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:30 pm

GSR , you're one of the few younger people that like the classic anime that I've had the pleasure to talk to . A guy up at work professes to be a huge anime fan , but it's all the new stuff ( '95 or '96 and newer ) that he likes , and it's nearly impossible to communicate the pleasure that watching hand drawn , non-cg anime brings . Back in the day each series was a work of art because of the time put into each one , when you can knock out an episode in half or less the time it used to take , I beleive , the quality and the feeling are missing ( call it a lack of pride and craftsmanship in the work ) ,if you know what I mean .
Do you understand?

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:14 pm

I definately know what you mean.

I feel the same way
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Giant Satan Robo

Post by Giant Satan Robo » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:48 pm

I see that kind of fair-weather fandom all the time. You may or may not have been able to tell, but I'm a big fan of early Gundam, and when I go to cons it's all Wing or Seed. I went to Otakon as Quattro Bageena, and apart fom the rest of my Zeta skit group one single person recognized me. Everyone knew the blasted Wingers. Obviously it's not just Gundam that's gone downhill; I think there's been one new show that I really liked made in the last few years, and that was Last Exile.

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:45 am

Giant Satan Robo wrote:I see that kind of fair-weather fandom all the time. You may or may not have been able to tell, but I'm a big fan of early Gundam, and when I go to cons it's all Wing or Seed. I went to Otakon as Quattro Bageena, and apart fom the rest of my Zeta skit group one single person recognized me. Everyone knew the blasted Wingers. Obviously it's not just Gundam that's gone downhill; I think there's been one new show that I really liked made in the last few years, and that was Last Exile.
dude, i share your thoughts exactly, the kids just dont respect the UC timeline, when i talk about gundam, they always bring up W or SEED and when i talk about UC, they always give me the "dude thats old hat" treatment. <sigh>

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:36 am

Its not just UC gundam that gets no respect, its everything from that time period. Star Blazers, Harlock, Urusei Yatsura, you name it. Strangely enough though, Lupin III is rather popular, which gives me hope that some of the nay-sayers will give other shows a chance if they like Lupin

bkito

Post by bkito » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:00 am

Dang whippersnappers and their 'Wing' and 'Seed'! When I was young we had to walk up hill two miles in three feet of snow just to get to see an anime program on the television! If new is better than explain Turn-A to me please!

Seriously though, it's UC for me all the way as far as Gundam is concerned. I remember when finding a Gundan model kit was a big deal. Now you can get them at Toys R Us and Wal Mart here in the states. I remember having to run home from school to make it in time to catch the beginning of 'Star Blazers'. I have the entire Quest for Iscandar on old fashioned VHS. Recently I've acquired the entire run of 'Legend of Galactic Heroes' on DVD. I don't know when it came out but it looks old. It's a good story so far as I've got though.

Ok I'm wandering now, but put me down for liking the Old shows as much or more than the newer ones!

BK

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:23 pm

Oh for pete's sake, guys. I love oldskool UC Gundam as much as anyone (more than many, actually), but really -- there IS good stuff being made even today.

Speaking specifically of the Big G, I personally dug Gundam Wing (except for the last episode and the OVAs) and Turn-A Gundam. And speaking of anime in general, dude, Gravion ROCKS.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:44 am

Oh I don't have a problem with new stuff per say, its just that there is sooooooooo much from the past that I love and so much that I haven't seen and we will most likely never see most of it translated, mainly because people don't care about it or know nothing about it.

I can't fault companies for bringing out the new stuff, it sells very well, and they have to make money or no more anime will show up. but with the rushing river of the new, there seems to be a slow trickle of the old. its pretty sad really.

kosh

Post by kosh » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:55 am

I wasn't saying that there's anything wrong with the new stuff either , just that without the " Old Stuff " the new wouldn't be here and the classics don't get the respect they deserve . Look how long Zeta was postponed for DVD release and you'll know what I mean , also , look at the number of GW websites out there compared with the number of , say , 08th MS Team or Stardust Memory sites . I have nothing against Wing or Seed , I enjoyed them both , but they're not the end all shows everyone acts like they are , and on the other side of the coin , you have the UC purists who constantly berate Wing and Seed as UC rip-offs , that just widens the chasm between then and now . I just think we should respect the new shows and honor the old shows , ya' know , if you're a gundam fan because of Seed , give yourself the pleasure of sitting down to a few episodes of the original MSG , the animation isn't slick and high-tech , but you'll love the story and the characters , just give them a chance .
Do you understand?

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:30 pm

I agree, though I guess I could be considered a UC Purist, I wouldn't care one way or the other about Wing and seed if the fans would give '0079, Zeta, to any other classic gundam the respect they deserve. But Now, if the animation isn't slick, its not worth their time.

"New anime is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than any old anime, why should I watch that old sh**?" This is what I always hear when I bring up the lack of respect given to the older anime shows. its disappointing to say the least, and the more people who say this, the less classic anime we will likely see translated.

This is what frustrates me and other old school anime fans. we have no problem with the new stuff. We have a problem with the utter disrespect shown to the Classics.