Age Group

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Altron

Post by Altron » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:47 am

I'm a young-buck anime fan I suppose. I haven't seen too many old school animes, but I was extremely nostalgic watching 'Battle of the Planets' and 'G-Force' at my friend's house. *sigh* I saw that show in the 90s, and man was it good. I had completely forgotten about all that analog-lookin' goodness.

But Wing was really good. It had an involving plot, fair animation, and I personally loved the mechs. SEED is good in the same resepect, only I less-dig the mecha, but the animation is so... CLEAN!

The major hate I have for old anime is the bad animation. I mean, there's sometimes when one moving person per scene gets old real fast. Sometimes they try and throw in the occasional eye-blink of a non-speaking character. Even that's rare.

People know Lupin III because it is/was on adult swim. I'll give old anime a chance, but usually I stick to new-age stuff.

Giant Satan Robo

Post by Giant Satan Robo » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:47 am

There's a reason old anime has "bad" animation- it's all hand-drawn. Modern shows look better because the animators had access to scanners and computers. When you have the same people drawing the same thing in minutely different ways tens of thousands of times per episode, you can't reasonably expect a cavalcade of motion. Besides, cheesy facial animation, repeat pans, and the occasional discrepancy are half of what gives old anime its character. I personally don't feel Wing had much of a plot outside of giving the characters reasons to have giant robot fights, but I guess that's because I watched First G (the movies) and Zeta before I watched Wing, and expected complex character relationships and political subplots beyond "let's start wars because we like fighting."Of course this is just my opinion, aand you can feel free to ridicule or pick it apart as you please.

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:20 pm

I normally don't post "me toos", but:

Well said, GSR. Very well said.

-Newt

fulcy

Post by fulcy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:03 pm

Sigh... right in the mid range here - but turning the big 3-0 this april...

Altron

Post by Altron » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:14 pm

So, as many have already asked most of you, why do you still like anime, mecha more specifically? Was it a carry over from your teen-years, a hobby, or just a general interest in mechanics?

I mean... some of yall are 40+, and still watch anime. Am I right in any way to think that it's just a little strange?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:41 pm

I've always been interested in science-fiction. A good sci-fi story has always entertained me whether it's an animated film, live-action film, comic book or novel. The media isn't really an issue for me (although I understand different mediums are better adapted to different kinds of storytelling).

Altron, as forums administrator I'd like to point out that asking people on an anime/manga board if their anime/manga hobby is "a little strange" at their age could easily be seen as rude by some people. I'm not trying to single you out. I'm just saying let's all work at avoiding misunderstandings.

As for your question, I don't think it's odd for people of any age to enjoy anime/manga coming out of Japan. In the U.S. there's a common perception that comics and animated films are for kids. That's no doubt because the majority of animated films and comics in the U.S. not too long ago were aimed at young audiences.

Japan is pretty different. Subway trains in Japan are littered with manga anthologies that commuters have tossed aside because they're done reading them. Animated films are produced in large numbers for all different target audiences. The idea that manga/anime is for kids is pretty rare over there.

American adults respond to the more mature themes found in Japanese entertainment. These same adults may have watched Bugs Bunny cartoons and read issues of Superman when they were younger but don't reach for those titles anymore.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Newton

Post by Newton » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:02 am

Altron:

I am very insulted by that question, and here's why.

1. I have enjoyed anime and mecha since I was 3. Some people dig trains, others love boats - me, I enjoy all of these, plus stuff they haven't even invented yet. That's my right as a human being.

No one has the right to even suggest that you or I should give up thinking creative thoughts simply because they don't fit preconceived notions - yours, mine or anybody's.

2. Historically, love of fictional machinery has led to the creation of little things like: spacecraft, submarines and - ROBOTS! For some of us, that love causes us to make a living out of creating devices for the enjoyment of others as well as ourselves. It leads us to become engineers, scientists even artists.

3. Without people like ourselves who enjoy reading, drawing and creating depictions and stories about these machines, how would you have them to enjoy? These books, games and anime don't just write and draw themselves - it takes people to come up with them!

The older I get, the more I find that there are no "designated dreaming years" in human life. Guess what: You've got the REST OF YOUR LIFE to enjoy just what you enjoy right now, if that's what makes you happy.

Don't take my word for it - you'll find out for yourself.

Bottom line - please refrain from telling me I'm "too old" for my obsession, especially in a place where we're supposed to celebrate it together!

-Newton Ewell
professional artist

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:14 am

Altron wrote:I mean... some of yall are 40+, and still watch anime. Am I right in any way to think that it's just a little strange?
Actually, I am very strange :D and watching anime is only a small part of my particular strangeness. 8) I started watching Anime before your parents met, and I was strange back then too. :P

To answer your first question: I watch it because I enjoy it more that almost all of the American made TV I have seen recently. It is nice to have some adult (and I don't mean in the naughty sense of the word) storytelling, and creative art direction that hasn't been "focus-grouped" to death for a "target demographic".

kosh

Post by kosh » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:32 am

I find the statement " a little strange " not particularly rude , but somewhat humorous ( I'm a telemarketer by trade and I know what rude truly is :wink: ) . But I have a question , " What's normal ? " I to am a sci-fi fan and general technology junkie , and a good plot , good characters and lots a' high tech " stuff " gets my interest every time .

But , as moderator , lets not turn this into a young vs. old debate , that's only going to get a war going on the boards or result in bad feelings , and that's not going to happen here . Seen to many of them at other forums .
Do you understand?

Quiddity

Post by Quiddity » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:03 pm

Just turned 23 last week.

Although I have no connection whatsoever to anime through my childhood (heck, most of the shows I like were either made before I was born like Gundam, Galaxy Express 999 or Ideon or when I was a baby like Dunbine or L-Gaim) I've always been interested in those shows that came out around the time of my birth and 3-4 years or so before and afterwards (1979-1988 is the peak period of anime IMHO). Strange perhaps, but thats just the way I am. The second anime I ever saw was Galaxy Express 999, I've been addicted to the older stuff ever since. :P And I must admit that while some might call it 'bad animation' I like stylistically the stuff from that period much more than anything in the CG age we are in now. As I said elsewhere, give me a Tominori Kogawa or Yoshikazu Yasuhiko drawn character over a Hirai(the Seed guy) drawn one any day.

Altron

Post by Altron » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:43 am

Yeah... looking back, I can see where everyone would've taken my comment seriously. I suppose it was a sour joke or something. Really, I don't think my comment was all that serious, but it does deserve a good old fashioned...

Sorry to all whom I offended. I didn't mean for my comment to be offensive to anyone. I guess what I thought to be a light hearted question ended up being serious to others.

Again, sorry to everyone. =\

Akuma Sephitaro

Post by Akuma Sephitaro » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:06 pm

ShinDVDz wrote:
Altron wrote:CRAP! I'm like... the baby in the group. I'm like... 6 years younger than the youngest person on here.

Man.
Actually, you're only one year younger than the second youngest person here...me :-P <--- 16, turning 17 on MARCH 21ST...
..... Why is it every forum I go to, SOMEONE has the same b-day as me??....

19, turning 20 then :p (I don't feel that old.... )

ShinDVDz

Post by ShinDVDz » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:14 pm

Sephitaro: Oh, awesome...you should log onto some IM thing and we should get to know each other better. Then I'd have TWO friends with the same bday :twisted: :twisted:

Sign of Haro

Post by Sign of Haro » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:43 pm

<--- Turning 19 on March 25th :P

I think my first taste of anime was way back when I was at least... maybe 5, 6 or 7 with Speed Racer.

Though, anime never has been my central entertainment interest. It's always been sci-fi, and I was introduced to that (via Star Trek and Star Wars) back when I was in the cradle =P My interest in anime is limited strictly to sci-fi titles... which is why I usually say my primary interest is sci-fi rather than anime. (though some of the best sci-fi I have seen is anime... Gundam, Macross, Mospeada, etc)

It'll probably remain that way for the rest of my life too. =P

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:31 am

22. Will be 23 in November.

Personally, I like a lot of old stuff because my grandfather was a mecha "otaku", so I guess that's where I got my shonen or boys manga preference from. Most of my favorite titles reflects this such as Devilman and all of it's incarnations, Mazinger, RG Veda and of course, the Five Star Stories.

My grandfather was in his 80's when I was born and was there when the whole manga/anime thing exploded in Japan. Well, not industry there, but saw it develope through the 50's, 60's and 70's. He was a huge Yamato and UC Gundam fan. He despised GW though and I used to always tease him about him. I really don't like GW either, except Heero's characterization. When something needed to be done. He didn't whine about the enviroment, Relena's safety, or whether he could do it or not. He just went and did it.

I was also born in Asia where a lot of educational stuff, not just kid's programs, but there were training vids and things like that for middle aged salarymen that was done anime-styled. My grandfather is full blooded Japanese, so I have lived in Japan and anime/manga was so common no one really spoke of it. It was like the whites of your eyes. No one ever thinks that, oh, hey, there is white around my cornea. But immigrating to America it was culture shock in more than one way.

S