Go Nagai, why is he so hated?

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Daishikaze

Go Nagai, why is he so hated?

Post by Daishikaze » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:02 pm

I look around the internet and I always see people bashing good Ole Go alot.

WHat the hell? why?
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:11 pm

I wasn't aware of this (but then, I don't search around the 'Net like a lot of you guys do).

Go Nagai was one of the early manga writers and developed the merchandising that has allowed mecha anime to be successful. He's done a lot of manga that doesn't feature mecha, too.

I'm guessing today's younger crowd, with its "cutting edge" feminist outlook, is reacting to a Japanese man of the 1950's and 60's. Kekko Kamen wouldn't exactly fit today's "sensitive" young viewers. I can't remember the author but at times like this I recall the quote, "The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there."

Personally, I think Go Nagai's manga exhibit lots of gutsy fun. Those Mazinger and Getter Robo pilots had HEART!
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:28 pm

I was just talking to some one on another forum about Go, and how I wished alot of his classic shows got release here (since I grew up watching the dubs on tv)

And he asked me " Whats left of his to be released that doesn't suck?"

There isn't that much of his work released here, The Devil Man and Cutey Honey OVAs, Getter Robo OVA,and Kekko Kamen. They may not be masterpieces, but they certainly don't suck( Well, I never saw Kekko Kamen so I don't know about that one.)

Jushin Liger doesn't suck, in fact that character jump started Keiichi Yamada's career when Go let New Japan Pro Wrestling use his character as a gimmick.

I love all the super robot shows, they were alot of fun and there were some really cool ideas in those shows.

It seems that alot of fans saw Cutey Honey or Kekko Kamen first and now have it in their head that Go Nagai's work is all about Fan service. which is so not true. Tragic
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Kuruni

hate?

Post by Kuruni » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:52 pm

*SIGH* How could I hate a guy who creat Mazinger and Devilman...
Justice will never lose!

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:12 pm

This all comes from fans who started with newer anime, they can't appreciate the classics because they judge by the standards of today. They don't seem to understand that anime has been around for quite a long time, alot of people I know seem to think it didn't excist until they got into it.

Go Nagai's work is very good when you don't think about how old it is and realize its all in good fun.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:01 pm

Being open minded isn't just for political debates. It helps your leisure time, too. I've spoken with people who got too upset to finish reading Tolkien's Lord of the Rings because there weren't enough non-white characters or the female characters weren't treated "right". A shame, I think.

When you sample older stuff you have to remember that decades ago people thought a little different than we do today. If you can get past that you shouldn't have a problem.

And, yeah, a lot of Go Nagai's manga was in fun. Immoral High School (or however you're supposed to translate the title) had girls whipping off their bras just to get the boys' attention. Degrading? I don't know, maybe. Funny? I think so. Should we get offended? No. Although it should be noted that Immoral High School got Go into a little trouble. He got a number of angry letters which is why he ended that title with the school being blown up. I'm sure Go was thinking "Oh, come on, people! It was just a joke."
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:47 pm

I think people tend to take anime(and everything else) too seriously nowadays, and I think Political Correctness has gone too far when people complain that minorities and Women are being oppressed by a animated TV show that was made in the 70s.

here in Europe they don't worry about things like that because everyone is really laid back, they can tell the difference between a Joke and hurtful remark.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:24 pm

He's provocative, unapologetic, and his art style is... not exactly user-friendly. He did, however, pretty much invent everything that's cool about anime. (Although it was Tezuka who established anime at all.)

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:39 pm

Go Nagai is hated? I wonder if any of my friends don't like him. I've never come by this though I do go around the net looking up weird stuff.

I'm 21. I'm a girl. Devilman is my favorite her...er...anti-hero of all time. LOL! I like Led Zepplin for writing a song about him and being one of Devilman's biggest fans! XD I also like Cutey Honey. I first saw it when I was very, very young. It never occured to me to hate it because of the way the girls are portrayed. I've never seen Kekko Kamen, so I can't say.

I do have to say that I didn't like Lord of the Rings because I couldn't understand the language used back then. It was very flowery and though I'm pretty good with English, I'm not that good. I did force myself to read all 3 books due to it being a school project. I just couldn't understand much of it, so I didn't get into it.

S

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:34 pm

i think Go was just trying to have some fun and irk a feew people. I mean think of the all great art that has been controversial, but revered as genius (andy warhol, anyone?) and he did start alot of the merchandising of robots that we see now- good luck getting gunpla or MSiA figures nowadays without the Mazinger Z figures back in the day.