Bloom Energy Server

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bloom Energy Server

Post by Tachyon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Bloom Energy is in the news now for making a great new fuel cell. It can convert methane, biogas (which is basically methane, right?), hydrogen, or natural gas into electricity. Even though they only sell giant, corporate versions now the CEO and founder is confident they'll have a small home version soon. My question is, can it be used to power cars? Could a relatively small gas canister be mounted in a car and hooked to a small Bloom Energy device that could generate enough electricity to keep the car going for, say, 5 days? If so, we'll be getting another step closer to real mecha.

Your average mecha will need a lot of electricity to run. Rechargeable batteries never seemed like much of a solution. But creating its own electricity internally? Now that's an idea!
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Mr March

Re: Bloom Energy Server

Post by Mr March » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:44 am

I'd never heard of Bloom Energy until now. A VERY interesting read and a technology that sounds very promising. Actually I've been sent a bunch of interesting reads about possible new technologies as of late. A friend just recently told me about Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors, a technology from many decades ago that wasn't explored fully. Now apparently the environmental movement has created interest in this technology which some are labeling "Nuclear gone green". Check it out.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bloom Energy Server

Post by Tachyon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:55 pm

That IS interesting! I hadn't heard about it before today.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.