It almost makes me cry

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Grebo Guru

It almost makes me cry

Post by Grebo Guru » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:46 pm

It's marginally embarassing to admit this, but I'm a late adopter of downloading fansubs. I only started getting into it this month. There were a few good reasons for my tardiness: inferior hardware, insufficient free time, etc etc blah blah blah. But this month I've downloaded hundreds of gigs of fansubbed anime. Hell, I've even watched a few megs' worth.

Then it struck me, just yesterday.

In 1986, it was an epic quest to get this stuff. I had to find out about these shows from rare, hard-to-find magazines; I had to seek out a well-hidden, tiny store so I could rent the shows; I had to make do with low-quality, Nth-generation videocassette recordings in raw Japanese; no dubs, no subs, no nothing. It was a struggle, but I managed to watch, at least partially understand, enjoy, and duplicate hundreds -- even thousands -- of VHS tapes of raw anime.

Around 2000 or so, I admitted that my collection was obsolete both technologically and in terms of the hobby. I threw all my VHSs away and started the daunting (and expensive) process of building a DVD library. How could I not? They boast high quality video, they're subbed as well as dubbed (not that I watch dubs), and they're smaller than VHSs to boot. Nice. But they're not cheap, and there are still so many shows I once had and loved which aren't available on DVD.

Suddenly, the internet.

Just yesterday I found and downloaded Macross DYRL. God I love that movie, and I haven't had a decent copy of it in over a decade. I'm so happy. I also found Dancougar: Requiem for Victims, and Demon of Steel, and freakin' Delpower X! And the thing is, I got all of these precious animes in high visual quality... with subtitles... and they take up no physical space at all... and I didn't to leave my house or even the couch to get them... and they're FREE. It's such a paradise that it's almost too much for me to bear.

I know it's illegal, but that's never stopped me before. I've been a video pirate since I was 13. I suspect this can't last, so I'm suckin' down everything I want immediately. For all I know, Comast and the FCC could lock the internet behind golden bars tomorrow.

But right now, I'm a teenager again, and every holy grail I ever imagined is at my fingertips. It's impossible and beautiful and bewildering.

Anyway. Just thought I'd share.
"Civilize the mind, make savage the body." - M.T.T.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:57 pm

Yeah, it's a real experience. I started a few months ago. My wife's Internet phone device makes it impossible for me to download anime at home but I have permission to run my office computer after 5pm and I've been grabbing a number of shows.

I watched Zambot 3. I felt like a kid again. The experience of watching it was awesome. I'm eagerly awaiting the completion of fan subs for Captain Harlock (1978) and Yuusha Raideen.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Newton

Post by Newton » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:33 pm

Welcome to the big time, baby!!!

I understand how you feel - I still have my VHS dub tapes from back in the day. However, the plethora of fansubbed shows are fantastic - and those groups who reach back in the stacks to sub shows that would never reach the light of day otherwise are to be commended.

I spent about thirty minutes pondering the legality of it all. Then I reached the conclusion that this is what I worked for all these years - to get anime out to fans. Yes, we paved the way for anime distributors, but frankly all the work of popularizing anime was not for them. It was for US -- the people who love this stuff, and who had to suffer under tyrannical "club lords" to get it.

When I get paid I'm scoring another hard-drive to accommodate the goodies I've scored, and to make more room for all the other stuff I'm making. I say, keep on downloading, and may you enjoy all the goodies now and yet to come!

PS: Where did you get your copy of Hagane no Oni? I have a copy, but the subtitles don't work properly. I'd love to score a properly subtitled version!

-Newt

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:53 am

Amen, Newton. You are one eloquent muddafugga!

I got my copy of Hagane No Oni from hsbsitez's link to Megaupload (my preferred source of fansubs -- SO much faster than BitTorrent). Let me actually check to make sure my copy works...

(checks)

Hmm. Yeah. I seem to have the subtitles track as a seperate ".srt" file, and I'm not sure (yet) how to correctly utilize it. I'll look into it...

Newton

Post by Newton » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:05 pm

I thank you sir, for that ringing endorsement!

Oh, that reminds me - what did you think of Cosmo Police Justy? That's one of my favorite examples of historical BitTorrent archiving. I really enjoyed that video back in the day, and I KNEW it was never going to be released here.

Lo and behold, one day I spy it on BT. I had to write to the fansubbers and thank them for bringing one of the best psychic hero animes to the light of day. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it - it's how a Lensman anime should be done.

Re Hagane no Oni - OK, that's the one I've got, too. I haven't figured out how to associate the .srt file to the video, either. I guess it's a matter of spending some time researching it. I sure ain't going onto their forum and getting razzed about being a n00b.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:13 pm

You should contact Mike Pondsmith, Newt... He's workin' on a new version of Mekton and he's looking for artists. So I understand. And dude, you rock.

Yeah, the .srt issue is annoying.

I LOVED Justy!!! One of my favs. When he splits that whole asteroid? Hell yeah!!! Definitely my formative "super-ESPer" experience. Thanks for the reminder, now I have to go find it for myself!! :-)

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:03 pm

Justy! I'd forgotten about that. I saw bits of it at cons and gatherings when I was younger but never had the chance to watch it through. I'm downloading it now.
You should contact Mike Pondsmith, Newt... He's workin' on a new version of Mekton
A new version of Mekton!? YES!! Are you working on it, Grebo? It needs your touch. Keep us posted, by all means.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Newton

Post by Newton » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:18 pm

Wow! Learn something new every day!

I'll get ahold of Mike right away - I could use a mecha gif right now...^_^

PM'ed you re Justy.