Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Politics

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Politics

Post by Tachyon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:23 pm

I have a few minutes today to drop a comment on the recent flap about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. First, some background:

Japan: Publisher to suspend cartoon sales after Muslims say it insults Islam
(the article has expired on Japan Today's Web site)

Japan says Muslim offense at cartoon 'regrettable'

Although Jojo's Bizarre Adventure isn't a mecha show/manga I thought it close enough to our favorite topics to discuss. Has anyone else been following this? Bootleg downloads of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure subtitled in Arabic caused a stir in muslim countries because of a brief scene where the main villain thumbs through a Koran while ordering his henchmen to dispose of the heroes. The result? The companies behind Jojo's Bizarre Adventure halt sales and make a public apology. Then, the Japanese government make a public apology.

This is truly crazy. Public outcries in foreign countries that are completely unreasonable are causing Japanese companies and the government of Japan to apologize when no apology is necessary. Why can't they summon enough backbone to ignore the issue like any reasonable person would?

One of the results of this mess is going to be tightening a straitjacket around the entertainment industries in Japan. Writers of manga, video games, anime, etc. are going to be afraid to depict Islam in any way in their works. Censorship is rarely a good thing but pointless censorship like this is truly a bad thing. We'll start to see more non-muslim muslim depictions like the silly, bland nation in Gundam 00 that the hero visited.

We Americans have grown up encountering books and films where villains who call themselves Christians do all sorts of horrible things. We don't get offended because we know the writers aren't trying to insult a segment of the American public. We are taught early in our development that just because someone claims to be a part of a certain group doesn't mean they're following that group's rules.

Freedom of speech is worth defending. I hope in the future the Japanese will remember that.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:25 am

America is just as much to blame for giving into special interest group pressure, as is my own country, as are many other countries around the world like Japan. Actually, nearly all the industrialized nations around the world are losing backbone with respect to social policy. In our mad dash to promote the "elevated" morals of tolerance, understanding and acceptance within our great utopias, we've become a politically correct obsessed society where it is rapidly becoming damned near illegal to "offend" anyone.

I'm not really sure how or when we got on this roller coaster but we need to get off. The only thing I worry about is that when our societies tend to change, we always go too damned far. Right now, were too damned far off the social acceptance deep end. When change comes, it'll go flip to the other end and we have to start the tug of war all over again. I get tired just thinking about it :)

Reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite films:

"There's no one left to fight, sire.

There's always someone left to fight"

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:53 pm

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. It's becoming a problem everywhere.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.