Hello from Tachyon (March 2008)

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello from Tachyon (March 2008)

Post by Tachyon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:35 pm

I just wanted to say hello to the mecha fans still visiting this message board. I follow most of the discussions here but don't have much time to post.

I haven't forgotten about Gears Online even though the site updates have kind of stopped. My scanner's still broken, my son is still 2 years old and my wife is still taking college medical courses. I have just enough time to fall behind in my job and watch a little anime each week. When my situation changes I'll post here more and finish the Cruise Chaser Blassty and Super Robot Wars sections. Well, SRW can never really be finished but material can be added.

I have a savings fund set aside for a new scanner and I'm halfway to the needed funds. Even though the Google ads are annoying they do serve a purpose. I haven't forgotten about my commitment to the Mospeada and Five Star Stories sections. When I replace my scanner I'll be back on those projects.

A big thanks to Newton Ewell (and Grebo Guru) for submitting Yukikaze material to Gears Online. Very nice stuff that will enable a Yukikaze section once I can find some time. Shows like Yukikaze and Cyber Formula show people that sci-fi anime is more than just robots.

My wife and I are formulating a long-term plan to move to Austin, Texas. She wants warmer weather but I want to be closer to Newton Ewell and other anime fans.

These days I've watched all of Kimagure Orange Road (great show). I finished Heroic Age, Houshin Engi manga online and I'm watching some Koutetsu Shin Jeeg from downloads. What is everyone else watching?

I've been so far out of touch that I would appreciate it if someone could write a post here about the current state of anime fandom in North America - with a focus on mecha.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:06 pm

Tachyon:

I'm glad you like the Yukikaze book. GG and I figured you'd dig it, and the scans are already done, so, hey, share the wealth with all of Gears, right?

So, when ya thinking about moving? Hopefully, it's a transfer in your current job. I understand about falling behind - you never know when life is gonna sneak up and blackjack you in the back of the head. Lord knows I don't anymore.

I'm also glad you got to see some of the best of the mecha-stuff of 2007. Most of the shows you mentioned got lost in the fever surrounding Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann.

Right now, my hot tickets are Gundam 00, which has turned out to be the most intense show of the season, and Dragonaut - The Resonance. Though it's not strictly mecha, Dragonaut has grabbed me; it's like the Dragonriders of Pern done right. There's a cybernetic link as well as an emotional one between the dragons (who are the only FTL vehicles available) and their pilots/symbionts/friends/loved ones.

Take it easy, and don't forget there are others of us with scanners who can help, too!

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:48 pm

I'm glad Gearsonline will remain. Work on it when you can, but don't let it be a ball and chain. There are more important things in life that fansites and you're right to have your priorities elsewhere.

Besides, some of us have made new fansites too :)

Without a doubt Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann seems to be the mecha show of the masses. There's apparently no end to the amount of talk I hear about it on AnimeNation, MacrossWorld, Mecha and Animation HQ, and other websites. It's likely been mecha anime's poster child since release and for the foreseeable future.

Gundam 00 seems to be getting some noise, though it's Gundam so there's always something new every year. Code Geass seems to be quite a popular mecha show and has a second season starting in April. Of course, buzz has been building for Macross Frontier also airing in April. I don't know if the show will engage anime fans like the massively popular Macross of old, but I can say without doubt it is one of the most visually impressive anime televisions shows I have ever seen. I still can't believe it's a TV show and not a movie.

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:26 pm

Is good to hear you again Tachyon.
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com