Flag, Zipang and Planetes

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Mr March

Flag, Zipang and Planetes

Post by Mr March » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:23 pm

It's been a while since I've tried any new anime, I've mostly been watching older stuff and getting into older series (like Five Star Stories). But these three series, Flag, Zipang and Planetes, have me interested. I've read up synopsis about each on the internet and read reviews. They all sound really promising and just my kind of anime with a more mature, serious tone.

Anyone else seen these series and have comments?

Newton

Post by Newton » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:54 am

I can't comment on Zipang; unfortunately I have yet to download that show.

FLAG, on the other hand, I can say is fantastic. I haven't seen all of it - only thru episode 6. However, what I found was the most realistic mecha show I've ever seen. It's like watching CNN embedded-reporter footage of a strat-tac mecha team. Definitely worth the cost of admission.

Planetes is a f***ing epic. Yes, it's the story of an orbital junk-collection group, but it's much more: it's the story of each of a group of PEOPLE, all of whom have hopes and dreams, as well as their own reasons for joining Technora Corporation and being a part of the group.

It's beautifully drawn, the characterizations are fantastic, the mecha are spot-on, and the story is poignant and uplifting. I can't recommend Planetes enough.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:55 am

Oh, that sounds great. They tell me all of Planetes is on DVD now and I just saw a nice starter boxed set of Flag for only $25. I gotta pick these up!