Trying to Figure out BitTorrent

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Trying to Figure out BitTorrent

Post by Tachyon » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:24 am

I have BitTorrent on my computer at home now and I'm trying to download mecha anime subtitled but I'm running into problems. The support site for BitTorrent says it is supposed to work both ways: your downloads will be faster if other people can get files from you. My download speeds rarely get higher than 1KB/s. How do I know if my settings are correct to let other people get files from me?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:18 am

I have the same issue, but rest assured, your connection is working. Most torrents simply don't have a large number of people uploading to enable high transfer speeds. Typically a batch of 4 bit torrent episodes takes me several days to download, leaving my connection on the whole time. Your download rate will increase, but only at certain times. I've got speeds up to 30 kB/s at times, but most often it hovers around 3-5 kB/s.

As the site says, your download rate is proportional to your upload rate. I just assumed that the download works like the upload and is done automatically. I probably just get low speeds because I don't ever have anything to upload first before I download. You may have a similar situation.

Well, not a lot of help, but I hope I did explain a few things.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:23 am

I altered a setting for allowed upload rate. After I have more to upload I'll check my average speeds. I won't despair just yet.
:D

I'm finding a number of anime titles I really want to check out.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:49 pm

Don't despair, you just have to be patient. You'll get the episodes and they'll work flawlessly. But it takes a long time. Several days at least for a batch of four anime episodes. I know it stinks, but such is life :) :P

I watched all 49 episodes of Macross 7 through bitTorrent, plus some Legend of Galactic Heros and a few other not-availables. It's a less than ideal way to obtain the episodes, but it works.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:37 am

did u open your ports?

i usually use utorrent or bitcomet, and they have functions to test if you forwarded your ports correctly.

other than ports, u have to see how many seeders and peers, the more the merrier - higher chance to get great speeds. however sometimes due to connection problems or peers not uploading to u, u may see them but can't get the files at good speed.

configuration wise, port-forwarding at your router is most crucial. try put a limit to your upload so as not to choke your net traffic.

some ISP block or restrict torrent traffic, there's nothing we can do other than complain or change isp. u can try encryption (its a function within those 2 BT s/w i mentioned) to avoid ISP traffic shaping, but ISPs may be using newer technology to throttle BT traffic including encrypted ones.

one way is to try downloading very popular files to see if u set up your BT correctly. the speed should rise within a few minutes, if u keep getting 1kBps, there is either a problem with your settings or the torrent is dead (no seeders/ peers) which is very common for old files. New anime are usually very popular and downloads quite fast.
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:48 pm

I have a "how to" on port forwarding. I'm going to try to find time to try it this week. Thanks for the input!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:32 pm

I don't think this port forwarding tutorial is working. I get the same warning from BitTorrent: "no incoming connections"
Error! Port 6881 does not appear to be open.

I have this in my router "Port Range" settings:
application: Utor1
start: 6881
end: 6891
protocol: both
IP address: 192.168.1.136
enabled

Do I have the application name wrong? I'm using BitTorrent 6.0
Any help would be appreciated!

Newton

Post by Newton » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:47 pm

If'n I was you, I'd download BitTornado, and call it good. BitTornado works right "out of the box", no port-twiddling necessary.

There are numerous versions of the BitTorrent software out there; pick the one that is easiest to use. You don't have to go through this purgatory of adjustment.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:44 am

yup Newton's right. there are many other BT clients out there, most people will not use the original BT anymore, reasons being the others are much more user friendly, more options to tweak, etc etc... u can chose ur own BT port and use only one Port unlike the original BT client uses several ports.

Actually it doesn't matter what "application name" u give for opening the ports, its for your own reference. the important thing is the ports match the s/w u r running, and opens those ports to direct it to your LAN PC ip addr.

there is a feature in uTorrent / BitComet that makes use of UPnP, which means the s/w can automatically open a port if your router has the UPnP function and has it enabled (thus saves the trouble of u meddling the router config urself).

And like i said, they have a test function to see if ur BT port is configured correctly. For uTorrent, go Options > Speed Guide > "Test if port is forwarded properly". they also have a status indicator.

Try the other clients, and u will not go back to the original ;)

speeds of 1kBps is definitely an indicator that the port forwarding / connection not working, or is a dead seed (no one is uploading).

i usually get 30kBps on a poor connection, 50kBps normally and if im lucky to get good seeds/peers i get hundreds of kBps. the most recent one averaged 100+ with max at 7xx - 800 kBps :twisted:

Once u get it going, do 2 things to improve ur speed.
1. to prevent choking ur traffic, limit your upload. some people suggest 80% of ur max upload.

2. in your BT client options, set number of connections to a huge number like 500 or 1000.
Last edited by Rubel Colus on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for:

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:52 am

Wow, this is interesting. Next time I have occasion to try some obscure anime, I'm going to have to remember to try some different torrent software. Sounds like it can run much faster.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:04 am

my isp's throttling BT usage now, so my BT speed is actually much lower than my subscription max.

but when i use some other p2p (not BT), i have experienced blazing speeds of 1000s of kBps :twisted: saves alot of time :D
Looking for:

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:32 pm

Ok, I give up on this crap. UTorrent is the same program as BitTorrent version 6. They have slightly different looking buttons on one screen. That's the only difference. I followed all the guides on port forwarding and now my home network is hosed and I'm locked out of my own router settings.

Bit Tornado is impossible to figure out. The interface is confusing and it looked like it was trying to overwrite the few anime files I've downloaded.

For the past 2 weeks my $45 per month cable Internet connection is as slow as dial up and my provider insists it isn't their fault.

Downloading anime is for the lucky few.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:19 pm

That doesn't sound good at all. Here I had my hopes up that a user friendly software package was available to run torrents. Not that I download a lot of anime anyway, I only rely upon it once in a while to get stuff that is obscure and will never be available here in Canada (like Legend of Galatic Heroes or Macross 7).

Newton

Post by Newton » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:59 am

Tachyon:

It sounds to me like you should give me a call, and let's start all over in getting your BT stuff set up. I will happily walk you through a "shopping trip" on the 'Net to score you the right client and player.

Now that I've ditched the dayjob, I've got some time to talk. Feel free to gimme a ring and let's get you set up.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:37 pm

Newton, thank you so much for the offer (by the way, could you private message me your phone #?). It's very kind of you and I would enjoy a chance to chat with you again.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time working with my computer and discovered there's a problem with my home network that is probably effecting everything. I probably have my static IP and port forwarding stuff set up properly but the other issue is throwing it off. I'm going to try and get the IT guy at my office to swing by after work (I live 2 blocks from the office) and put my home network back on track.