Can't Open Archive File

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can't Open Archive File

Post by Tachyon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:10 am

Does anyone know how to open a .mkv file? Newton sent me some Heroic Age episodes but I can't open the file.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:56 pm

You watch them with VLC Player
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:34 pm

Tachyon:

Download CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack). Just Google CCCP and it'll take you right there.

I would've ftp'd it to you, but the damn client didn't want to work right. I also was not able to upload the complete episodes except for 16. I'm going to just burn the eps to disc, and mail them to you.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:37 pm

Great! Thanks, Newton. After seeing the first 15 episodes of that show I am definitely hooked.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:15 pm

Ahoy,

Just to add, I've read a few times that codec packs are not that great, that it's better to install a codec on it's own when you need it.
Not sure though what the supposed bad effects may be.

Somehow I feel like we've moved out of the codec mess from a few years ago (divX 4, divX 5, Xvid, whatever with a new version every two months... >_<) or I just watch less videos than I used to...

Well on a technical PoV I think mkv is a container rather than a codec. Which means a divX movie, an mpeg sound, subtitles and all may be contained in an mkv container. If I'm not mistaking mkv is supposed to be good as it can contain a lot of stuff, like dolby sounds, various languages, etc...

Newton

Post by Newton » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:43 pm

Falk:

With all due respect and love, please don't cloud the issue. I've been doing this file thing for awhile now, and my experience has taught me that CCCP is the best, most unobtrusive and useful one-stop codec set out there (until something demonstrably better comes along).

CCCP has .mkv codecs built-in, and works right the first time on a PC with no tweaks necessary.

Tachyon:

I am burning the disc tonight, and will get it in the mail tomorrow.