What's Up With "Yukikaze"?

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

What's Up With "Yukikaze"?

Post by Tachyon » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:54 pm

What is the cultural significance of the name Yukikaze? It's the name of an anime about airplanes and ships, it's a ship in Space Battleship Yamato season 1 and I think I've seen it other places too.

Was it a World War II ship? Does the name go back farther than that?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Engage

Post by Engage » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:50 pm

I think the Yukikaze was a Japanese WWII ship that had the reputation of being unsinkable. If my limited japanese is correct, "Yukikaze" means something like "snow wind" or something of that nature.

If the name significance goes farther back than that I am not sure.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:46 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_d ... r_Yukikaze

I wonder if the name goes back farther than that? Anyways, impressive.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Engage

Post by Engage » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:55 am

Wow, I was actually right on that. I'm surprised I remembered it!
Last edited by Engage on Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newton

Post by Newton » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:17 am

Engage:

Yup, you're dead on. Yukikaze, literally "snow wind/gale", refers to blizzards, which strike without warning and "slice" through clothing, leaving nothing but cold, frozen death in their wake.

A pretty apt name for the fighter in the OVAs, in my opinion.

Star Dragon

heh

Post by Star Dragon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:03 am

Very Interesting, I did not know that (although I had wondered myself about the name).

It's a kickass action series. Probably the finest air-air action I'd seen since Macross Zero.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:01 am

Yeah, there's actually a Transformer named Yukakaze as well. (He's one of the six Autobot Trainbots, who form Raiden, from the Japanese TF series The Headmasters.)

I'm sure the term yukikaze stems back much earlier than a WWII battleship. It certainly smacks of haiku and other such Japanese-y cultural institutions. Makes me think of Lady Snowblood, too.

As for the anime, Yukikaze has some REALLY awesome fighter designs. (Too bad they don't transform, but still.) Two complaints I have about the series, though: (1) It's kinda slow. The characters spend a lot of time brooding and whispering and such. It's not painful (like, say a Mamoru Oshi flick) bit it's much less frenetic than I'd like. (2) The in-the-cockpit scenes are irritating! There are so many bleeps and honks and whistles and alarms and arrrrrgh... I know it's realistic (apparently IRL if someone recovers a black box from a downed fighter today, you can tell exactly what was going on from just 1 second of audio recorded inside the cockpit) but it's still annoying as heck.

Grebo!