Favorite Mech series and why. . .

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Knowlton

Favorite Mech series and why. . .

Post by Knowlton » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:33 pm

No making a poll because there are too many to list, but what anime series stick out in your head as having your favorite mechs? I have a few, mostly for different reasons.

In no particular order:

Macross - The movie Do You Remember and the original series, not the crap that has followed. I think the designs (if you have ever flipped through a Roman Bible or something of the series you'd probably agree) comes closer to mixing what we have today and what we imagine could be in the future better than any other series. The original Valkyrie is probably the most amazing transforming design of all time.

Gundam Sentinel - I don't I have to say much on this, other than Macross influencing Gundam (after of course, Gundam influence Macross). If NASA put mobile suits in space, I imagine they would look a lot like what we see from Gundam Sentinel.

Gundam 0080 - I absolutely love every mobile suit designed for this series, and loved the WWII German influence on the designs from everything from the uniforms to the names to the suits. "Kempfer" means "Fighter" in German. I also love the guns too. Very realistic as opposed to the ridiculous machine gun the GM has been given in 8th MS Team which has been around for the last 10 years.

Mospeada - I love the model box art and the Legioss Fighters, and while there are some flaws in the transforming designs, I really like the gerwalk and robot modes. I think the Cyclone is also cool, even if it is even more flawed. I like the Invid too, but not as much as other alien species, and I love the capital ships. I think these designs work well only because of the setting the story takes place in.

Xabungle - I move all of these except the Xabungle and the big green one (forgot the name). If the world nuked itself tomorrow, these would be the robots I would expect to see. Love the Gallop most of all.

Dougram - Absolutely one of my favorites, but definately not the most realistic. Many robot shows if you notice, lack any kind of series airpower. Instead they have really crappy fighters who behave like WWII fighters rather than modern jet craft with smart weapons. So while I do smack Dougram on this (which actually does deal with helicopters very well throughout the series) none of these would hold up long if any fighters were introduced. Same can be said for Gundam, which I have always knocked for lack of air power. Nevertheless I love the WWII feel Dougram has, and it still stands as one of my favorites, in a Dunbine way. Speaking of Dunbine. . .

Dunbine - I grew up playing Dungeons and Dragons, so mixing robots and a fantasy world is very appreciated. My favorite though, are the ships. I don't think there is one that I don't like.

Votoms - I am not a fan of all of Votoms designs, but I love the original series. I think the Standing Tortoise is a classic design after the Scopedog of course, and the Fatty is a favorite too. I think the Brutishdog is the poster boy of the series, even if it is pink.

Thats all I can think of at the top of my head. . .

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:51 pm

I plan to rent Votoms but as for Xabungle and Dougram I think I'm out of luck. I'd like to watch them subtitled but I simply don't have time to download fansubs.

Macross scores big points with me. I liked it on several different levels. The aliens were alien. We should have more of that. The mecha and ship designs were awesome. The characters were likable, pacing was good, story kept me coming back... Great series! The movie was too cool for words.

Gundam 0083 is probably my favorite of the Gundam anime I've seen. Sentinel, although a photo novel, scores high too. Why hasn't anyone animated that yet?

Dunbine was surprisingly good. Although campy at times, Gatchaman is a favorite of mine. Although not mecha, the first El Hazard OAV series was very good. It struck just the right balance between comic relief and fantastical adventure.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:58 am

Well, in addition to those you already list.

Banpresto Original - You should already guess it :D . While there are some make me go "What the ****!?" (the ugly enemy's mech from SRW Compact 3 are best example). The rest of them, especially Lord of the Elemental series, are great.

Virtual On - Love most of them. The best are, of cause, Temjin and Raiden series. And all girly, Fei-Yen, Angelan and Guarayaka(sp?) are cute.

Galient - Actually, only Promaxis series hit the spot. But the rest isn't bad at all.

Ideon - I love Buff Clan's Heavy Mecha! So big, yet most of them are quite unique and some of them even more realistic than Gundam's MS (well, some of them).

That's all for those stick out from my memory, at this moment.
Justice will never lose!

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:10 am

GUNBUSTER -my favorite robot anime all time, really like the setting of background story and the real world SF world design. Also stunning robot fighting.

SHING GETTA ROBO VS NEO GETTA ROBO- really like the story about friendship and weaker fighting the stronger. Plus the crazy super robot fighting style.
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com

Knowlton

Post by Knowlton » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:52 pm

Try to ignore the story and focus on just the mechanic designs. . .

Patlabor - I loved Patlabor when it first came out, and consider the Alphonse to be one of the most classic robot designs in all anime. I didn't like many of the following designs following the first series, like the Peacemaker, but loved everthing from the first series and movies. Especially the Brocken and Helldiver.

Gasaraki - While I watch some of Gasaraki and wasn't crazy about it, I loved the Raiden and Shinden armors. The model kits for these two are probably a couple of the two best kits produced in this size in many many years. If you are a modeller like me, and you haven't built these kits, do yourself a favor and start looking on Ebay for one. If they are expensive, there is a reason why.

Ideon - This guy was on my mind but was running out of time when I was making my first post. I am not really into super robots, and Ideon kind of goes on the border and as far as I go in liking them. The Clan Buff mechs are brilliant and really daring designs considering how odd they are. What is amazing is how mass produced they are. Of all the models I have build, the ones that stick out to me have been my Ideon ones, just as they are so different than the others.

Z Gundam - Z Gundam was pretty much my favorite anime for a long time. I was actually living in South East Asia when Z Gundam came out, and I started seeing the model kits before I saw any episodes, and was just stunned by what I was seeing. At that time, everything from Dougram, to Mospeada, to Xabungle, and especially Macross were very popular, but Gundam was really showing its age with the more modern look and feel of the newer series. Even the Variation series was beginning to look like crap. Z Gundam came along and pretty much put Gundam back on everyone's favorite list. I still think the Mk II is the best Gundam ever made, and MS like the HiZack, Marasai, Messala, and Gaplant hit the peak of MS designs. I am not a fan of every MS that appears in Z Gundam, but overall for its time Z Gundam just blew away everything else.

Diaclone - I don't take most of Diaclone seriously, but I build many of the models growing up and had a thing for the little posable guys that were included. The Waruder suits are still favorites of mine. Not crazy about the ones that went on to become Transformers, just the little robots that had spring mounted missles on their backs, or hang-gliders for those who know what I mean. Or even Dia-Battles, as goofy as it is.

Gundam F91 - When the F91 kits first came out, I hated the non-Zeon designs because they were just that: not Zeon. It didn't take long for my to change my mind. While I have a problem with most of the Crossbone MS and their stupid Shot Lancers with mini and near useless machine guns, I do think the designs are refreshing, even today. As a matter of fact, the model run is still great to this day, many because they were given unique polycaps as opposed to the generic ones we got from Gundam Wing all the way through to Turn A for those who know what I am talking about. I don't like how we are supposed to believe that the UC timeline goes from mass producing the Zaku III to the Denan Zon, but oh well. I think the designs have a fantasy feel to them, and it almost doesn't feel like Gundam. I was never much of a fan of the movie or any of the characters except Zabine, but I would have liked to see 6 or so more Crossbone MS designs turned into model kits.

Gundam Wing - Endless Waltz - I am a huge fan of every design that appears in the Endless Waltz OVAs, even if I am not a fan of Gundam Wing. The Gundam Wing Custom is one of my favorite mobile suits of all time, even if it is very unrealistic. The Serpent is like no other mass produced bad guy I have ever seen, and I still love the trusty Leo and Taurus. I am not a fan of making super robots out of Gundams, and Endless Waltz pushes the edge. If you've never built any of the 1/144 scale Endless Waltz kits, you are missing out.

Now for some of the worst:

G Gundam - I don't care what anyone says about G Gundam, it almost ruined Gundam for me. Actually, by the time Gundam Epyon and its twin headed dragon form appeared in Gundam Wing, I could see the direction Gundam was headed in, so when I first saw G Gundam model kits, I was horrified but not really suprised. I know this is a kiddy show first and foremost, but I still think it insults the Gundam franchise by even being made.

There isn't one design from that series I like.

Turn A Gundam - I hated the mech designs so much for this series that I avoided building any of the few model kits until recently when I built the Flat. Before I got it, I thought about building the Turn X and maybe even the Sumo, but once I got a good 3D look at Syd Mead's ideas, I almost hated them even more. I love Syd Mead's conceptual work outside of Gundam, but really hate is MS designs. There are some interesting things about the Flat, like the detail on the top of his head that I like, but once you start posing the guy you can't keep from laughing. Oh, did I mention I hate the Box Gun??

Gundam ZZ - Hands down my least favorite Gundam designs after G Gundam and Turn A. I am a mech lover first, and don't really care much for the storyline in most cases, and so I build a lot of models. I've built just about EVERY Gundam ZZ kit out there and most of the time I think they are crap. Not just the early designs of the model kits themselves, but the finished product as well. The Ga-Zowm, Galluss-J, Zssa, and R-Jarja stick out in my mind as being some of the worst UC designs ever (after the Gaza C of course). I do like a few, like the Gaza D and the Doven Wolf, but the only one I've ever been blown away by is the Zaku III Custom, which should have been the mass produced version of the Zaku III.

I am not a fan of the Gundam ZZ either. However cool they make it look on screen, untill you build the model and see how limited the posing is, you'd see how impractical it is. While Gundam and Z Gundam series were masterpieces in designs, Gundam ZZ really dropped the ball.

As far as modelling goes, because these suits get bigger and bigger, the plastic is actually too heavy for most of the polycaps included in the kits, so there for knees and hips don't stay in place. Sometimes the arms suffer too. It is understandable the MS designs would get bigger and more powerful as the timeline goes on (not shrink like in F91 and V Gundam), but in this case they really just got too big.

Macross 7 - God I think these are ridiculous. I kind of like the Thunderbolt, but that is it.

I'll come up with some more later. . .

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:22 pm

Focus on mech only, right? :D

Dragonar - Again, only Gebaye-type and Gandora-type really hit my spot (Stark Gandora's debut scene in A.C.E 2 make me shout "Sugoi!!!" back then). But the rest of them aren't bad, just not great enough.

Gundam F90 - All of them are good, great and fantastic. I pity those who think Destiny's ZAKU as "update" Zaku II, it's nothing when compared to the RF Zaku which is possible the least striking MS from RF series. The best is clearly Charle's custom RF Gelgoog.

Gundam SEED Astray - I think all three of Astray are great, though the upgraded Gold Frame isn't that good (visually, it's still great for innovative weapon). The rest...well, they're from SEED and I don't want to say a word.

Nadesico - Surprise, my favourite happen to be those Gekigan-type mechs used by Jovian. It's interesting to see people use real-robot-technology to duplicate super-robot-type mecha. The main mech, Aestevaris, is quite good as well. And those appear in POD is even better.

Advance of Zeta - Most of them make my jaw drop. Hazel itself is great! Exactly, I think most of Titans's MS are great! Zeon remnant's Zaku II Stutzer is quite weird, but Gelgoog is nice and Rick Dom kick ***!
Justice will never lose!

Knowlton

Post by Knowlton » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:26 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about Dragonar. Some of the designs are interesting, especially the flyers like Schewlg

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/dragonar/dragonar/ffa-02.jpg

and Dowtewn

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/dragonar/dragonar/afa-03.jpg

And yeah, Advance of Zeta has been brilliant. I am not happy with Bandai's 1/144 scale kits as they are too boxy, but the 1/200 kits Dengkie whatever magazine released are awesome. Very well perportioned.

I like F-90 too and some of the versions, and it is the kind of Gundam I prefer. Like the Hazel, the actual MS stays the same and it is just fitted with extra gear on its hard points.

And the Astray Gundam, red and blue, are phenominal. I am not crazy about the gigantic katana the red one uses, nor the later version of the blue one with the gatling gun/sword. Just the originals. I wish a real series was developed with that suit being the main Gundam versus what we got from SEED.

As far as SEED goes, while I wasn't overall impressed with where it went, it was better than many of the non-UC crap that has been released for Gundam in the last 10 years. I liked many of the ZAFT designs, like the Ginn (which did have to grow on me) Dinn, and CGue, but really hated having so many Gundams. I think Forbidden, Raider, and Calamity Gundams are crap. But the series was a decent enough start to expand on. It is such a shame they followed it up with Destiny.

Destiny really surprised me because I really though the designs of the tribute MS like the Zaku Warrior, Gouf Ignited, and Dom Trooper looked so out of place. Worst of all was the Impulse Gundam, and the ridiculous launching of the seperate fighters that flew miles before forming the Gundam. I like the concept of the WIZARD Packs, but they could have made the Zaku tougher looking and more in line with the other MS designs in SEED. But everything from the Destroy Gundams to the Destiny Gundam itself blows.

Layzner - I wasn't much of a fan of the series, but I loved the 1/100 scale model kits Bandai released. The kits themselves are really cheap and normally aren't impressive as newer kits are, but they made something like 16 of them, and with their compact size, make a cool little collection. I almost have all of them. I am not a fan of the later odd looking ones like the Zakaal whatever, but I like the ones that appear early on in the series.

I will say this, despite the obvious Gundam ripoff, I really like the Layzner itself. The new 1/48 kit is awesome. . .

Too bad the rest of them from the series aren't all this cool. I actually like the open canopy though, as it gives a modeller a chance to work on a pilot and controls that you would normally never see inside the chest of a robot (Unless it is from Gasaraki). Nevertheless, the Layzner is a cool mech. Sleak, not too big, and just the right colors.

EDIT: This post was edited to turn hotlinked images into text links

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:33 pm

Holy...I just seen image for Demonbane (which mentioned by Grebo Guru long ago) and...stunned.

http://members.thai.net/kuruni/Usage/Demonbane.jpg

It's interesting that Demonbane was originate as hentai game. :P Hehehe...Once I just collect image of Al Azif (the mad Arab now turn into cutie loli!). Now I see, Cthulhu Mythos + cool mecha + cutie loli + hentai = Cool! Well, minus hentai...
Justice will never lose!

EZero8

Post by EZero8 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:38 am

Since we're talking about mecha:

Zeta Gundam -- The Mk II is one of my favorite designs as well as the Super Gundam modification made to it. The Zeta Gundam's innovative transformation system was like gold for me. Stuff like the Hamrabi and the Hyaku Shiki were good too.

V Gundam -- This is probably one of the few times I actually like Katoki's MS designs. The Victory Gundam actually looks like a good, simple MP unit, and the V2 looks just as nimble as it's supposed to be.

Advance of Zeta -- All of the TTT's MS are kick a**. `Nuff said.

Sentinal -- These are a great collection of Zeta variants. The different Z-Plus's were awesome, and the FAZZ was a good alternative to the uberfied FAEZZ.

Now for non-Gundam stuff:

Macross -- Cool ship designs, Valkries, and Destroids. Macross Plus had some of the coolest Valkries in there.

Dunbine -- Some pretty cool bug-like designs. They also have that medieval feel to them.

I think I have more to say, but I cant think of any more at the moment... :?

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:10 am

no body like super robot anime?
Last edited by 2000YearsOldMan on Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:35 pm

I wish there was more super robot anime for us to see!
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:26 am

hehe, if I can go back in time and have the power to kill of some of the Gundam shows I don't like. It would be Gundam V,X,Wing,Seed,08th,Turn-A, G-Savior, G, and all the CG Gundam shorts and mini series.

We left with...
zeta
CCA
F-91

Though I don't know what a Gundam should look like after F-91.

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:08 am

I agree with Temjin.
all the none original gundam series add too much J-pop element in the show. always some young hot pilots fighting in the war for not really any good reasons.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:50 pm

thats a tough one,

Macross: same reasons as everyone else's really. Just a fantastic show + movie.

UC Gundam: Everything from 0079 to Victory, I've found alot to love about every UC series.

Gall Force: Doesn't really get alot of press, which is a shame because its a really good OVA series. I love ARTMIC's mechanical designs and the soundtrack. The Overall story is damn good too, a pity alot of the younger crowd can't pay attention long enough to see it.

Megazone 23: The Episodes don't match up too well, but the story is really good. Another classic by ARTMIC.

Mospeada: THis show was good, and it had so much potential, its too bad the viewers weren't kinder too it, it could have turned into an undisputed classic.

Gunbuster: The only thing I have seen so far from Gainax that I thought was excellent. Everything else I've seen from them has been very very disappointing.

Thats all I can think of right now.
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

StarBomber109

Post by StarBomber109 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:58 am

GunBuster 1&2 good God, these rocked. They are the best Robot shows I've ever seen. So much detail, emotion, and who can hate the fanservice! (their in my sig/avy for gosh sakes! of course I like em!) and oh yeah, the music was amazing (both times). I have got to find the OSTs for these anime!

Gundam Yeah, this, along with my next choice were my intro to "mecha" and the series that made me want to draw them. Sadly, I haven't watched a whole Gundam series yet...but I've watched a few episodes, and I loved every episode I saw. (Saw endless waltz...and I really need to watch 8th MS Team...especialy after beating Zeonic Front....)

MechWarrior I mean the video game. The games rock and I wish Microsoft hadn't turned them into arcade games! MechAssault was such a rip off! No customization? Bill, what have you done!!!! >.<'.....but aside form that rant, I liked the DarkAge tabeltop game too. The majority of the novels were pretty cool as well. (I mean all eras...not just Dark Age. FASA has a habit of getting really great authors to write their books.)

Erueka 7 A romantic mecha anime?! usso.... but, I watched it, and dangit, I love it! (I still have to catch up to the current episode though...)

edit: Dang, fogot some....

Patlabor this movie was AWSOME! I hear they made a DVD of it, now, I want it.

Astray R >.> what? Cant I like a good spin off manga? I heard that EVA and most of the super bots came out of manga. Anyone know of a good robot manga I can get myself into (aside from Bt'X....)