Mecha good idea and bad idea

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Knowlton

Re: Mecha good idea and bad idea

Post by Knowlton » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:11 pm

Temjin wrote:Mecha with cockpit in the body, good idea.
Not necessarily when the mobile suit's canopy door is painted red while the rest is painted in a dark color. . .
Mecha with cockpit in the head, bad idea.
Although sometimes this works well like in Layzner and Dougram, even Xabungle, but over all I can't see how a pilot could refrain from getting sick!

Hands down the worst color scheme is that bright pink Zaku Warrior from SEED Destiny. Probably the worst MS of all time. Worse that the Capule from ZZ and Turn A, which is only slightly better than the Flat.
Last edited by Knowlton on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:43 am

Ahh...you just remind me, Knowlton. Red cockpit hatch also seen in various Banpresto Original like Arblade, Wild Wurger R and Wild Falken R.

My only explanation is that they're all prototype and red canopy is for make it clearly visible, so other pilot would avoid shooting there in test.
Justice will never lose!

Knowlton

Post by Knowlton » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:04 pm

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:01 pm

I had never put 2 and 2 together before but you're right, the bright red cockpit hatch is something of a problem. I don't think it's an out-and-out suicidal move since a lot of MS combat takes place from a long distance but it's a bad move. My guess is the animators wanted to do it for the close-up dramatic scenes with characters entering and exiting cockpits. I'm assuming the animators are afraid audiences will get lost trying to make out mechanical details on such unfamiliar machines so they make the cockpit hatch red to help the audience. It's like a "cheat sheet" during combat scenes.

Oh, no! the head got sliced off! Is the hero dead? Oh! Yeah! That red spot is there. That's where the hero is. No problem.

Macross was great for the mecha genre because of its more realistic treatment of mecha. No human faces on the mecha, no crowns or crests on the foreheads, no silly colors on cockpit hatches, etc.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:38 am

Nightmare of Solomon wrote: Mecha w/ sharp pointy heels and toes- Bad (FSS BGC)

(Don't get me wrong, I love Mortar Headd, but as good as they look, MH would punch holes in what ever ground they walked on. All the speed and manaueverability in the world won't do you a lot of good when you're leg is stuck in the sewer up to it's knee)
Aw, come on Gato, don't bust on my favorite Mecha!

Besides, the only reason why MH's are built that way (well, aside from Nagano's aesthetic preferrences) is because the anti-gravitic technology of Joker allows MH's to cancel most of their weight...thus there is no punching of holes in the ground as they run....because they weigh effectively nothing...unless of course, they want to weigh 100+ tons.
Shinei!

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:46 pm

Nusword-

Regarding pointy heels.

Look at it this way- IF a Dom type MS in Gundam loses its thrusters, those huge feet will disperse the weight and it can at least walk or run-

If a MH lost its AG systems due to combat damage, the MH would sink into the ground and get stuck-

Have you ever watched a woman try to run in high heels?- On soft dirt?- Not Funny-

Now-the original KOG and LED Mirage feet- with the wide intep and toes and the twin heel spars- laid out like a big triangle- with the central locking claw- much better idea. The foot is nearly as long from front to back as the lower leg is tall- almost like snow-shoes.

Don't even get me started on the 'heel-less' MH- they look a little goofy to me- gorgeous- but goofy- like at any second, they are going to fall over backward- All the opposing Headdliner would have to do is give them a little push... and down they would go.

Thats probably how the regular MH defeated a JAGD- work together to target the ezlazer AG systems and watch the MIRAGE crush itself under its own weight- once it was down- it would be pretty easy to pick off.

Gotta call 'em like I see 'em- pointy heels- Bad Idea.

StarBomber109

Post by StarBomber109 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:44 am

Mech that towers over the battlefield and strikes fear into all: (Jagd Mirage) good idea!

Mech that towers over the battlefield and makes itself a target: Bad idea!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:44 am

Don't even get me started on the 'heel-less' MH- they look a little goofy to me- gorgeous- but goofy- like at any second, they are going to fall over backward- All the opposing Headdliner would have to do is give them a little push... and down they would go.
The "heel-less" MH's are based on animals that run on the tips of their toes...the backs of their heels never touching the ground as they run, like many quick hooved animals.
Shinei!

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:26 am

Mecha as machine: good idea
Mecha as God: bad idea

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:08 am

Temjin wrote:Mecha as machine: good idea
Well, Ideon seem to be exception. :D (and maybe Shin Getter).
Justice will never lose!

StarBomber109

Post by StarBomber109 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:31 pm

Temjin wrote:Mecha as machine: good idea
Xenogears...omg...

also...

Mech with enough power to kill said god mech: Good Idea
Mech that kills without the pilot ordering it: Bad Idea

Engage

Post by Engage » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:29 pm

Mech with enough power to kill said god mech: Good Idea
That could also be a bad idea. When God Mech A is defeated, who is there to challenge God Mech B?

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:03 pm

No one, and God mech B will be a static display in the backyard. :)

Ladycus sopp

Post by Ladycus sopp » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:05 am

Gundam seed mecha bad idea !!!!

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:59 am

Pilot standing on the shoulder of a mecha to look cool: good idea
Pilot standing in front of the mecha intake to look cool: bad idea

Though if you think about it, standing on the shoulder is more dangerous. From now on, all mecha shoulder should have a sticker say "Don't stand here to look cool, you might slip and fall."