Movie - Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Movie - Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children

Post by Tachyon » Tue May 02, 2006 2:12 pm

I saw Advent Children this past weekend with my brother who's a total nut for all things Final Fantasy. The CG effects were well done but seeing the fights from FF7 come to life on the movie screen only seemed to reinforce how silly they were. I guess I'm just not a video game fan at heart.

Still, it was fun to watch. Hopefully this will be an indicator of things to come.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue May 02, 2006 2:46 pm

What did you think of Cloud's sword? :D
That's the only thing I was focusing on the whole damn movie.
Oh yeah and Tifa. LOL
Storyline was just an vehicle to show off the characters, so I could care less.

Fortunately for me, someone had done an amazing analysis on it already.

Image Image Image

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue May 02, 2006 4:38 pm

Yeah, Cloud's sword collection was interesting. And the way they fitted together was pretty wild. Thanks for the image links. That looks like a pretty good analysis.

My brother and I were talking about the dilemma of including Sephiroth. The guy's dead by the time of the movie but if he's not there the fans might riot and trash the production studio. The solution? Use a Jenovah biological sample and combine it with Sephiroth's powers and the presence of his own clone and >bam!< He's back! It was pretty far-fetched but my brother told me it would work given how things go in the FF7 game.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue May 02, 2006 9:36 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. That said, I'm a big fan of "urban renewal" sword style...^_^

It's also a great example of taking cg animation to the next level. There was some beautiful animation during the fight sequences.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed May 03, 2006 4:53 am

The fights in Advent Children are exactly how I imagine Headdliners would fight, but the Headdliners would be faster and with more collateral damage, depending on who's involved.
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed May 03, 2006 4:55 am

an interesting note:

I've been reading something intesting on the web. Apparently, a lot of people who have seen Advent Children who are not videogame veterans are apparently having a very hard time following the fight scenes, because they move so fast, while those who do regularly play videogames don't seem to be having any trouble seeing all the gorgeous details.

Anyone else run into this issue, or heard about this pheonomena?
Shinei!

Falk

Post by Falk » Sat May 06, 2006 3:24 pm

This movie was soooo "..." :|

I'm a big fan of the game, and I'm amongst those who would gladly see a new FF7 on PS3 (just to see the 3 Bahamuts with better graphics), but the movie, wow ! :?

If a game ends in a way that it's not supposed to have a sequel, then don't make one dammit !

If I have respect for Square/soft/enix/picture/whatever for being the only ones who did 2 full length CG movie with realistic style (I'm a bit sick of Pixar & Dreamworks cartoon style, though some movies are great, some more childish), but both those movies are really weak for everything else than CG.

About 2 thirds of the movie are (boring) fighting. And everything is just a big "as by chance". If Vincent is so good against the 3 gothic teens, why doesn't he handles the whole fight ? It would've saved 1h10 of the movie.
It could've been great, poetic and all, it's all grey and boring. (have you heard the scripts of the 3 bad guys ? It's just "hu", "huhu" & "kasan" all along the movie... :x

I've heard it was supposed to be an interactive story at first. Just a story you read, with only the fights being CG (hence why there's so much fight scene), and that they then turned it into a full movie... well they shouldn't have !
In fact yup', they made a movie as they would've done a game. And it just doesn't work.

Sephiroth's comeback was lame as well. He's looking like a chick and his voice makes you wanna sleep. And the comeback in itself is really thrown out there without any explication (except for the whatever genova cells blablablah).

I'd rather see a movie made by Blizzard in the style of Warcraft CG movies.

I didn't like most of the fights as well. It was more gymnastic, circus, whatever than fights. I don't really like fights on moto (they pushed it really to far, you can't really make a U-turn at 100mph), the fight against Bahamut was boring to (and that human chain at the end, WTH ?!).

WHen it comes to headdliners, I really see this as jousts, or fencing.
Those guys are so over the top that it's rather the first who makes a mistake who loses, than one of them having a good idea.

The fight between Paison (or Python :roll: ) and Michalu Ha Lonn is one of the best. Hit or miss, no second chance.

KensaiMax

Post by KensaiMax » Sat May 06, 2006 5:15 pm

WHen it comes to headdliners, I really see this as jousts, or fencing.
Those guys are so over the top that it's rather the first who makes a mistake who loses, than one of them having a good idea.
Swordfights between extremely good swordsmen are decided almost entirely by skill level, not one of them making a mistake or coming up with a brilliant new technique. You don't train your whole life to screw up when it's all on the line, and you don't think when you're fighting. It slows you down.

I tend to see headdliners having stupidly fast and powerful, but otherwise largely conventional fights. Even if you're both so fast it's godlike, that's not going to significantly change the equation, because your speed and strength will cancel out and you're back to skill. ;)

ax_maxwell

Post by ax_maxwell » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:24 am

I liked it. voicovers could have been a litttle better, but otherwise a favorite all the same

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:48 am

KensaiMax wrote:

I tend to see headdliners having stupidly fast and powerful, but otherwise largely conventional fights. Even if you're both so fast it's godlike, that's not going to significantly change the equation, because your speed and strength will cancel out and you're back to skill. ;)
Sonic Blades and Ring Slicers aren't very conventional. When Headdliners fight, the collateral damage can be exceptional. This is why they prevent the Headdliners from dueling at Lachesis debut in volume 1. We see what happens to to the Throne room during the assault of the Black Three in volume 10 (there was nothing conventional about that whole scene!)

Headdliners can run at 120+ KPH and leap over 10 meters (over 30 feet) in a single bound. As evidenced by the fight between Ting and Aisha over the rooftops of downtown Vachi City, a fight between two Headdliners of equal skill could very well end up looking like something from Advent Children. Especially given the incredible reaction speeds and movement capabilities of Headdliners.

Of course the over-the-top fights in Advent Children is nothing new if you're a fan of Hong Kong Wuxia films, which I am. Can't wait for FEARLESS. Jet Li's last Kung Fu movie!
Last edited by Nu Soard Graphite on Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shinei!

ax_maxwell

Post by ax_maxwell » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:51 am

I agree they are not conventional weapons. were thay even in the FF7 game anyways?

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:32 am

I heard the ff7 ps3 version is a rumor.
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com

TSP

Post by TSP » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:56 am

The first FF7 realtime movie for PS3 was only atech demo. But yesterday Squarepictures announced FF7 Advent Children Complete for PS3. The Blu-Ray version will include new sequences and HD-format for better picture quality.