Terminology question: Unguided drones "bits"

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Norsehound

Terminology question: Unguided drones "bits"

Post by Norsehound » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:48 pm

I know Gundam coined this term, but is it used anywhere else?

I'd like to use the term to discribe small unmanned combat vehicles of my own, but I don't want to get tangled up in copywright issues if the term is already "taken"

Engage

Post by Engage » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:22 am

Well, it depends on what the intended purpose of the unit is.

How about:

Drone (obvious, but not copyrighted. You could also say: "Bee" or "Wasp" because those societys contain drones)
Sentinel (another obvious one)
Mechanical Cavalry (I just like the sound of this one)
Experimental Gear
Unmanned Mechanized Combat Suit (UMCS for short)
Umanned Armored Unit

You could also go the "blunt" aproach:
Unmanned Combat Vehicle :P

I hope this helps.

Norsehound

Post by Norsehound » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:18 am

Bits in the sense are this:

Small, 1 meter high mecha or armored vehicles meant as 'filler' units. They operate in packs of 10-20 units that are semi-autonomous. The term "bit" I wanted to use was because it brings to mind that these things are small and can almost fit in the back of a trunk.

I was just wondering if there was any technical limitation to using the term.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:51 pm

About the name...

- At least one of old Banpresto Original in Shin SRW armed with bits, the same as Gundam's bits. Later machine, such as Werkbau and Dis Astrangant, use the term "slave" instead though.
- A robot type character from PS1 Saga Frontier RPG can use "Bits" and "Funnel" remote weapon, which also very similar to Gundam's (well, Layzner's V-MAX also include in this game...).

About similar concept.
- All four Masoukishin from Lord of the Elemental has weapon call "hi-familiar", each are different from other but all share same concept. It's small object that control by pilot's familiar, a magical pet that creat from pilot's mind. Cybaster's hi-familiar is very similar to funnel from Gundam.
- AEROT (sp?) from Xenogears.
- Several of Banpresto Original armed with similar drone weapon. Excellence Cosmo Diver's fairy, Astranagant's gun familiar, Werkbau and Dis Astranagant's gun slave, Wykul's Kanaf slave. Though few of these would ram or cut target instead of shooting.
Justice will never lose!

Newton

Post by Newton » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:53 am

I don't believe that "bit" is copyrighted. That said, the least worrisome way to go would be to use a different name for the units, as has already been mentioned.

A thesaurus always helps in situation like this. Perhaps synonyms to "bit" would be a good idea. The idea of animal references is also a really cool idea - the first time I saw the Sazabi's funnels in "Char's Counterattack," I thought of pit-bulls. If I had designed the mech, I probably would have called them "dogs" or "hounds". It could also give you the ability to make specialized bits for light or heavy weaponry.

Norsehound

Post by Norsehound » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:02 am

No matter- the automated units are now called "blocs" for better or for worse...

All this is visible on my DA page, or you can visit the fanart section to see what I'm up to....