Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 Beta

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 Beta

Post by Tachyon » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:14 pm

Whether you love it or hate Internet Explorer is due for an update this year. I use IE and Firefox both on a regular basis and write HTML for them both professionally and in my spare time.

After playing with the IE7 beta I think it's an improvement. Gears Online will be easier to use and easier for me to write new pages for. IE7 fixes a lot of bugs dealing with Cascading Style Sheets and adds support for commands that it didn't even attempt in IE6. Plus there's custom code that lets you write things for IE7 only and no other browser. That makes us Web developers real happy.

Some people are saying IE7 copies features from Firefox. I don't know if that's true or not but I like the changes I'm seeing in the beta. Anything that makes my job of Web master easier is ok in my book!
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:42 pm

Hehe, at last they're updating IE :roll:

It was quite lame to see microsoft adding countless useless and intrusive features on media player while all we want is that it plays media correctly, while on the other end a browser, very critical for computer security, was more holed than cheese, and crashes on a daily basis...

At last, the 20% of of shares of Firefox forced them to upgrade IE... Not that it will make me use IE again.

I don't care much if IE copies Firefox, but what bothers me more are those custom things for IE and not other browser.
I hope it's not a lame attempt from microsoft to force people to go back to IE cuz' the other browsers could not display sites using those features properly.

(For the same reasons I will never buy a song from itunes if I can't do what I want with it, and I wouldn't buy an album with copy control stuff)

kosh

Post by kosh » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:57 pm

Is IE7 going to be offered for both XP and Vista ? The reason I ask is because I don't plan on updating to Vista at any time soon , a lot of the features in Vista make me cautious about it , particularly the TCP Module that effectively gives MS the ability to say what programs can or can't be installed on a computer . The new Halo 2 game is a prime example , it's only playable on the Vista OS and to me there's something wrong with that picture .
Do you understand?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:01 pm

Microsoft originally planned to only have IE7 for Vista but then changed their minds. IE7 will have an XP version. I've been running the "for XP" beta at work.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.