Mecha damage

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Temjin

Mecha damage

Post by Temjin » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:13 pm

It's cool to see a mecha blow up and such, I just wonder what kind of damage you guys want to see on a mecha. Like for an example, in the end of Gundam 0080, NT1 has the head cut off and a bit of the upper torso.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:34 pm

Mine? A really huge explosion that could be seen from outer orbit :roll: (similar to Great Zeorymer's Retsu Meiou attack from SRWJ)

In manga term, a huge explosion that the panel is two pages. :wink:
Justice will never lose!

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:22 pm

hehe, you're missing the point. The mecha must have a littel bit of left over. The beauty of left over, or something like that.

kosh

Post by kosh » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:45 am

A classic schtick . My favorite would be the torso blown to a million pieces and the legs left standing were they are . I know it's not realistic , but it has a certain humor to it .
Do you understand?

Ryusei_Zero

Depends..

Post by Ryusei_Zero » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:48 pm

I bad guy I really hate gets the massive explosion that no one survives..

One thing that gets to me, espicially if I like the robot or character, is one where the Mecha doesn't get completly destroyed...when its taken apart slowly, or when it just shuts down.

Whenever a Mecha's eyes flicker for a moment, and then go out, its almost like watching a person die for me..

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:07 am

May be possible if the mecha gets hit from above, and the feet sink into the ground from the impact.

The eyes flicker thing is really sad.

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:21 pm

I think the best mecha death scene period- is the defeat of the Jion Commander in Gundam 0083 Ep. 4- the still, deactive, arm of his broken Zaku reaches for the blue sky, the sun, the bright future of Jion. His death is rendered meaningless as the sun is eclipsed by the Albion passing over his fallen mech. The bright future of Jion eclipsed by the shadow of the Federation.

As a fan of the Jion's the symbolism of that one scene just gets to me every time-

other than that I think the scenes where the mech is torn assunder by the initial explosion - the torso spins free- sometimes even throwing the pilot clear-- then the reactor goes up and the severed parts and the poor pilot are caught up in the main blast! ouch!

The fading eyes are a good touch- but I also like when the mecha slumps- then a bunch of electricity arcs all over it- then it explodes- usually in a big nucleonic bast-

I think the "melting" Guymelfs in Escaflowne are a serious honorable mention- (after 20 years of explosions, it was nice to see something new)

Ryusei_Zero

Post by Ryusei_Zero » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:46 pm

I felt bad for nearly all the Zion ( Jion...I'm just used to the other way! ^^; ) pilots who died in 0083, because they did so believing in something that even Gato realized wasn't really there...

Bearnie's death in 0080 really got me too!

The melting Guymelefs made me cringe, I can only imagine how much that hurts for the pilot! Which is why I try not to use Mazinger Z's breast fire on piloted Mecha in SRW. ^^;

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:26 pm

[/quote]Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:46 am Post subject: 0083..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I felt bad for nearly all the Zion ( Jion...I'm just used to the other way! ^^; )

In regards to Jion vs. Zion

before the formation of Isreal, politicians who favored the formation of the new Jewish nation were known as Zionist's.

Consider the very Germanic nature of the Jion/Zeon/Zion mecha and uniforms-

I really hate to think of MS Gundam as "attack of the Jewish space Nazi's"

so I tend to use Jion (it's also the subtitler's choice on the first copy of Gundam 0083 I ever saw so it's pretty much stuck-)

it really doesn't matter how you spell it- They all pretty much died in vain- which is sorta sad- the propoganda of the Jion's war effort- liberation of the Spacenoids - is a noble goal in my book - just as maintaining the peace is equally noble for the Fed's- hence the real drama of the show and why all the "death's" in gundam sorta get to you.

Ultimately it's the power hungry and greedy who undo the purity of both sides motives - so in the end everybody dies in vain-

to stay on topic- I have to add that its somewhat humerous (in a sick black kinda way) when the same Commander (can't remeber his name) just before his own death- laments the death of his wingman- "Heintz!" the way that Zaku spun out and exploded- Ketchup was pretty much all that was left- very ironic.

Ryusei_Zero

Post by Ryusei_Zero » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:42 am

-In regards to Jion vs. Zion

before the formation of Isreal, politicians who favored the formation of the new Jewish nation were known as Zionist's.

Consider the very Germanic nature of the Jion/Zeon/Zion mecha and uniforms-

I really hate to think of MS Gundam as "attack of the Jewish space Nazi's" -

You know, I knew all this...but I didn't really apply it to the way I was thinking, and I totally see what you mean.

Like you said, its really the subtitlers call- I guess I'm used to seeing Zeon!

...Poor Hientz...

Another sort of sad mecha destruction- in a more pathetic way, is in the end of Giant Robo, when GR totally dismantles the Vogler sphere- Genya pleads with him to stop, to the point where he sounds completly pitiful.

NycRayJai

Post by NycRayJai » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:37 pm

my fav damage is when a mecha's shield taking all damage to the point it's all beat up and stuff and the mecha would come out of the sheild and beat the other one up. then the mecha's sheild arm falls off and tries to finish the enemy but enemy got's some energy left and pounds the good mecha, then they both halt and power down.

another good one i like is a mecha being skid across the floor from a crash or mis-landing.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:18 am

Then...a mecha with heavy damage, covered with redoil that look like blood. :D (or covered with whatever liquid equal to blood for bionical mecha.)
Justice will never lose!

lykoi_666

Post by lykoi_666 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:37 pm

I think its cool seeing all the armour riped off and then the internal wireing and hydrolucs show.

mechageist

Post by mechageist » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:46 am

lykoi_666 wrote:I think its cool seeing all the armour riped off and then the internal wireing and hydrolucs show.
Me too. I also like it when some fluid drips from the mecha to simulate blood and when a portion of the mech's head gets blown off showing the camera/eyes underneath.