Makoto Kobayashi's Latest Book

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Newton

Makoto Kobayashi's Latest Book

Post by Newton » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:23 pm

I just got a copy of "Hyper Weapon: Yesterday, Today and No Tomorrow". I got it from Nippon Export, and I'm very happy I bought it.

It's a look at Kobayashi's work from the beginning through to 2005. Finally, there are good pictures from "Gankutsuou", "Super Atragon", "Gravion", and work he did on 3D computer rides in Japan.

There are also sections on "Last Exile" and "Trinity Blood". Yep, he designed and rendered the mecha from TB! Thores definitely wanted the FSS influence - closeups of the models show not only the Blood Cross, but parts of the Knight of Gold!

Also included is a re-issue of one of the earlier "Hyper Weapon" books which has been out of print for a long time. This book is a great value! Get one while they're still available!

-Newt

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:21 pm

I just ordered my copy from Hobbylink Japan. Thanks for the tip! I'm sure I'll enjoy the book.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Breda

Post by Breda » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:48 am

Being a big Kobayashi fan, I picked this up when it came out. Great stuff. Although my favorite stuff from him has always been his Gundam variation/Dragon's Heaven-period stuff, his newer CG work is incredible. I love his designs for Samurai 7, especially the Baund-Doc-ish looking one with the Dendrobium-esque back pack.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:50 pm

After a long wait I finally got my copy of the book and I really like it. Buying it was a good move. Kobayashi is a talented mecha designer.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:12 pm

And a nice guy, too. He did a piece for me back in '93 when he was at AnimeExpo. I had given him a couple of my "Rifts" pieces 'cause he gave me the mecha designers' highest honor - looking at my work, then stopping, then LOOKING at my work - you know, that "getting into the details" look.

So I gave him the two pieces he liked, and thought no more of it. The next day, he shows up at my table with this rapidograph drawing of a Baund-Doc! I about had a meltdown.