the new guy

Share your work with the online community

Moderator: kosh

Gpenguin

the new guy

Post by Gpenguin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:27 pm

I finally got around to sign up as a member of these forums. being a frequent visitor of the site, I’ve found a great deal of inspiration here, so I thought I might share some of my designs in return.

this is a mecha design I just completed for a game mod called Angels Fall First http://www.dendezyn.net/affv4/
I’m working for free for these guys, so I can pretty much distribute my works anyway I want. so if you’d like I could keep you posted with the progress, if you’re interested. :)

(yeah, I know it isn’t exactly fan-art)

I’ve also got a gallery over at DA, if you wanna check out more of my stuff.
http://genocidalpenguin.deviantart.com

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:38 pm

Thanks for showing us your work. I really like it. It's nice to see more gritty military-style designs.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:49 pm

NICE!

That sucker is pretty heavy looking...
Shinei!

Newton

Post by Newton » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:40 am

Gpenguin:

Your design work is SWEET! I checked out your deviantart page, and I really like the new mech head design. I can hardly wait to see what it's attached to!

Beautiful renderings on your site. Please share more with us! Oh, and btw, Welcome to Gears Online!!!

-Newt

Gpenguin

Post by Gpenguin » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:49 am

thank you for your kind words :D
here’s a few more.

here’s something a little more on topic. my fave MH design.

this one is influenced by Nagano’s style.

coloured.

somewhat Nagano-esque too.

this one’s an alternate history 90’s mech.

that’s all for today folks. enjoy.

Shokatshin

Post by Shokatshin » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:20 pm

That's... Some pretty fantastic stuff.

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:39 pm

Wow! those designs are really nice-

I hope you don't mind my asking on a nopen forum- this may seem like a bit of a personal question- and I dont know how to send messages to one person on this board

I have had aspirations to become a conceptual artist for many years but have found that real-life issues such as rent (now mortgage) and food have locked me in a somewhat more mundane carreer path-

as much as I love to design mecha- I simply can't seem to switch gears in life and actually do it. (if i can't maintain the equivalent of $15.00 US per hour full time- i lose my house-)

Having to work full time in a job I'm not happy with takes so much out of me I have no energy or imagination left at the end of the day to focus on art or school- weekends are worse.

Since you obviously have what it takes, any suggestions or inspiration would be welcome.

a fellow mech head- hoping to break in.

Engage

Post by Engage » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:46 am

Very nice stuff Gpenguin. Its nice to see another Scritti out there (one of my favorite MH too).

I draw mecha as well, though not as well as you (as you can see by my art topic). I do have a question though: How long does it take you to draw out a mecha? I have asked many people about this and I can get an answer anywhere beween 1 hour to 3 days (for medium sized stuff too).

Nightmare: Although I havn't made a career out of drawing/designing (yet) I would suggest that you do some work in your spare time and post it on the internet. That is a good way to get people to notice your work (especially potential employers). If you want to create your own story and create a small manga, you could submit it to Tokyopop, they are always looking for up and coming manga artists (I'm planning on entering the next Rising Stars of Manga contest). You could also build a porfolio and see if there are any local game companies (as in they make games) and present your work to them. Game developers are always looking for good concept artists and they might hire you. Though, because I have no experience in these matters, please take these with a grain of salt and wait untill Gpenguin answers.

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:58 am

Gpenguin:

I love the Apatyrix (sp?) design. So, that's the body that cool head design is attached to! Just beautiful!

May I adapt your design for the Apatyrix undercarriage for one of my own designs? I've been grappling with the heavy-thigh design for awhile on one of my own mecha, and yours is a perfect solution.

Oh, and for reciprocity's sake, some of my design work can be seen at: www.phantomriders.com/newell.

Again, fantastic design work!

-Newt

Gpenguin

Post by Gpenguin » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:56 pm

nightmare:
I’m not really in the position to give economic advice, seeing how messy my own economy is at the moment. but I guess it all comes down to what you are ready to give up. if you have a family to support, then that might make things even more difficult.
the only advice I can give you, is to try to clear some time for artistic work, start in small scale and try to work your way up. (engage posted some good ideas)
if you want to discuss this further, or if you have any questions, then feel free to send me an e-mail :D

engage:
the sketchwork is what takes up most of the time - anywhere between a couple of hours, up to several days. cleaning up the design takes about an hour or two, and colouring might take a few hours as well.

newton:
sure you can. even proffesional designers picks up ideas from others work.
you could put up a note where the inspiration came from, if you want, but it’s not really a must.

nice designs BTW. feels like a mix of american comic art and japanese mech design :)

all:
thanks again for your flattering comments on my work :D

Newton

Post by Newton » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:11 am

Thanks, Gpenguin. And oh yes, most definitely you get mention for the inspiration. It is unprofessional to do otherwise, and besides, I like giving credit where credit is due!^_^

Thanks for the compliment on my work. Your description is exactly the effect I want to achieve!

-Newt

kosh

Post by kosh » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:39 am

Gpenguin , your designs and execution are great . I love the Apatyrix too , the design looks sleek and viscious , like one of the big predatory cats in action . Hope we see more of your work in the future .
Do you understand?

Gpenguin

Post by Gpenguin » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:57 pm

here’s an all new one :D
(still needs some shading though)

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:57 pm

whoa! I like the new piece! Rather like the Scritti crossed with a mad Kugai! very nice-

Thanks to Gpenguin and Engage for the moral support and suggestions- As it happens I may have a breaking lead into the video game market-

I've put together a couple of designs for a freind who want's to make a video game featuring transforming mecha ala Macross. So far the designs appear to be working out well and have been well recieved ^_^

I'll have to check and see, but i may be able to post the concept sketches at Gears if the designer approves- He may go for the free exposure angle. (and I could certainly use a little myself)

thanks again for the advice. Keep up the good work-

Engage

Post by Engage » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:25 pm

:shock: WOW...just...WOW!

That is amazing! I really love that design! Have you pick out a name for it yet? It reminds me somewhat of a Tötungengel (German for "Killing Angel". I don't know why I thought of that though.) The color scheme reminds me a bit of the Jagd Mirage and those feet look incredibly intricate (I don't know why I'm bringing that up...oh well). What are the claw things on the thighs for? Are they for holding some sort of weapon?

Nightmare: Your welcome! :D I hope you make it big in your mecha designing career!