its me..

Share your work with the online community

Moderator: kosh

Jagd Mirage™

its me..

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:58 am

..again, unfortunately. :P

Been doing some original mecha lately, possibly doing some story behind it too. The concept so far:

Metrach ( really loose sketches):

(with face plate)

(without)

Close-to-finished legs design:

The massive amount of weight they have to bare means they have to absorb enormous amounts of compression, so the design has multiple joints, increasing energy dispersal, stability and maneuverability, however, speed is somewhat limited. Its about 59-60 meters and about 800-900 tons, probably the largest mecha ill do.

Im still debating about giving it arms with hands or not, the part I dont like about anime in general is that they put weapons like swords and guns, although they look good for the most part I find it redundant (they ruin the whole giant-robot feel for me, since they look too humanoid). I want to go with more of a 'mature' look if you know what I mean, since its more of a 'horror' mecha look that really hasn't been used by many. I was thinking of making built in weapons on the arms, like in mechwarrior.
Need opinions on this one as well as comments/critique.
Thank you

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:14 pm

Well, first, your illustration style is BEAUTIFUL.

I think the proportions on the leg could use some adjustments. At a glance it would seem that the mech should end up with "Pan" or "Faun" arrangemnet. I would suggest looking for some goat or animal photo reference. I think a big cloven hoof would work with the high heel that's going on with the foot.

Just my two cents. I would mainly suggest some really rough body proportion doodles that have no detail to work out the mass.

But Style and Detail are nailed.

Jagd Mirage™

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:05 pm

Thank you! I dont know about the style, its me trying to draw very quick, since each one didnt take more than 3 minutes so therefore I didn try to do them with any style in mind, so thank you again. The finished picture is going to be done digitally, so im hoping it will turn into something special. Yes, the leg is in concept stage, untill i do the upper body i can adjust them so they match perfectly proportion-wise.

This mech is a storage of ideas i had since child, but wasnt really capable of putting it on a palpable surface, so now im trying to do just that, my main goal is to be original if possible while still maintaining the goal im after.

I kinda like the asymmetry of using one weapon hand and one normal human hand for dexterity's sake or for close range brawl, most of all I like the fact that its not used often and I find it more appealing than normal cheesy looking human mecha, so its a win/win situation for me. Need your opinion, guys.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:15 pm

That head looks awesome! Wow! It has a demon-esque gargoyle feel to it. De-maksed, it looks really creepy :) As always it's a real treat to see your work. More! More! :)

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:10 am

The hand sketches are really nice. I'm a huge fan of concept work. Nagano's sketches are superb and I really love the Star Wars concept are as well.

Stuff done by hand just feels more human. I don't care much for the perfect Illustrator style of art that's taken over Anime and Manga. I prefer Shiro's work from ten years ago and back. The new computer style is a little too smooth.

This is purely a matter of personal taste though.

Jagd Mirage™

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:51 pm

You and me both, however I dont have the option of doing perfect illustrations because I dont have the tools. :/

Some more randomness:

My first ship so far (for AFF), so dont be too hard on me...

Noah class defensive dreadnought,(or the 'last resort' ship used to escape an otherwise losing battle) designed to plow through space debris such as asteroid fields or using it as cover, or take shelter close to a star. Due to its mono-hull design it is heavily armored from front to back witch enables it to take enormous amounts of punishment while fleeing, however, this design restricts the amount of weapon placement on the hull. The engines are mounted on the wing-like structures to enhance maneuverability but also can be extended and used to catch solar wind to further increase its speed.

Princess Mandarava WIP:

Hopefully Ill be able to purchase a tablet before summer, and this will increase my art quality alot since Ill be able to tidy up and color, not just post messy sketches with no color. As you may noticed the ship is colored with a pencil, turned out bad.

Jagd Mirage™

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:01 pm

some quick doodles:
ldont like how the left leg came out

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:47 pm

It's not bad (the left leg) since it kinda matches the ungaingly, shambling look of the whole mecha. For some reason the colors, the mecha shape and the scene reminds me of artwork from Half-Life 2.

I like the dual eye-ball fella. It looks creepy :)

Jagd Mirage™

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks! Im going to redo that guy since im not happy with it.
head colored version (I intended to use this head on that mech, so I will after the re-design)

Jagd Mirage™

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:26 pm

I dont know why I even post here since nobody gives a damn anyway, last picture for a long time to come:
Last edited by Jagd Mirage™ on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:21 pm

I really like this one. I wonder if we could feature it as "fan art" on the FSS pages here?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Jagd Mirage™

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:01 am

Sure, whatever to help FSS out. I can do more in this style. If anyone wants to see a MH done like that Ill try my best.

Jagd Mirage™

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:56 am

actually, forget it. I offer it as fanart with great pleasure but atleast have the decency to not keep me waiting.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:00 pm

Um... Ok...

In light of your, um... perspective, perhaps it's best if we call this off.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.