hello again

Share your work with the online community

Moderator: kosh

Jagd Mirage™

hello again

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:28 am

hello all, yes its another MH but this time is my own design, hope you like, comments/critique are always appreciated.

http://xadu.deviantart.com/art/Sepulcher-77435581

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:19 pm

Overall, it's awesome as always. Being critical, the feet feel a little big and the hands feel a little small. I'd be inclined to think that's the whole point, since the mecha does have a somewhat emaciated "ape-like" structure. But I'm not sure if it works exactly. At any rate, a strong effort. I really like the head, torso and the upper arms. Very obviously robotic and mechanical, which I love in humanoid mecha designs.

Jagd Mirage™

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:28 pm

Thanks! Well, i threw all the proportions out of the window since thats usually enhances the FSS look ( Jagd for example, huge upper body, skinny legs). I indeed tried to give it an 'ape-like-stance' since this MH's focus is on its arms witch are designed to plow/penetrate, it has no other weapons, so the arms have to be dense/strong (notice the extra small arm behind the main arm to give it more juice) and pretty 'sharp' at the entrance point to able to punch through. Since it's main and only attack is melee the legs are a bit longer than usual so it can get close, and because its bigger than the average MH at 27 meters.

Jagd Mirage™

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:08 pm

new sketches, not really fanart since they are my own, hope the new drawing style isnt too much of an eyesore.

http://xadu.deviantart.com/art/Duality-79869745

http://xadu.deviantart.com/art/Sen-79803711

http://xadu.deviantart.com/art/Rodjavor-79712852

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:49 pm

Brilliant work as always. I'm going to add you to my friends list to keep an eye out for new stuff.

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:12 pm

really nice arts man.
I like the first one alot.
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com

Jagd Mirage™

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:30 pm

http://xadu.deviantart.com/art/V-Siren-Neptune-80247229

my first real attempt at digital coloring.. i think it turned out decent, wish i could do a background though.

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:00 pm

What you've got for a background is plenty. VERY nice work!

That said, let me know if you want some tips on backgrounds. I've had to slap myself into doing them, so I feel your pain.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:32 am

Uh, wow! That looks great!

wjrmonkey

Post by wjrmonkey » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:24 am

It looks very stylized and certainly carries the elitist *air* as a mortar headd. :)

Congratulations, you finally embark upon the creation of original mecha design!

Jagd Mirage™

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:56 am

Newton wrote:What you've got for a background is plenty. VERY nice work!

That said, let me know if you want some tips on backgrounds. I've had to slap myself into doing them, so I feel your pain.
I always like to better myself so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all.

im available either on MSN messenger or Yahoo:

cybordivinity@hotmail.com

bk_derbedeu@yahoo.com

wjrmonkey

Post by wjrmonkey » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:53 pm

On your original design "Sepulcher" i have a few ideas, but again, first i have to acknowledge that we all have different styles and philosophies to approach mecha design. So here are just my own thoughts, neither correct nor wrong...

The head seems heavily influenced by the gundam GM design, which appears blocky, unlike the FSS mech skull, which looks more pointy at the chin and almost always "hidden" under a big crown-like hood.

gundam GM

The hand is very small, and somewhat bears the look (and feel) of Mr. Gpenguin's hallmark designs (i.e. tiny hands, tiny feet)...

A big feature of Mr. Nagano's design is that he uses a lot of long fluid curves in fabricating the structures, which are not very present in your designs. It's interesting that you seem to prefer short, straight, hard lines to soft curves. This seems to be your style.

Jagd Mirage™

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:16 pm

I never watched Gundam and never will, or any other anime for that matter since I consider them ridiculously stupid, however, I like the mecha design in most of them. The head I did last on that drawing and I don't like it very much, as you pointed out it might fit better on a gundam, so I might redo this one, the other factor was paper size, being A4 normal paper I cant draw the head very well.

Don't know about the hands, I sticked with my plan in making them longer/denser than usual for the reason I stated before.

The "short/hard" lines are overpowering in my drawings in comparison to Naganos is that I probably put more detail in one leg than he does in his entire mech so i kinda fill them with mechanical hard-edges, this does not mean it's better than Mr.Nagano's work. Creating your own mech in a already established visual style and world is pretty dificult, since you must mix the right amount of your style with the right amount of 'borrowed' stuff/ideas from that universe, I like to go more my way so thats also a reason.

wjrmonkey

Post by wjrmonkey » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:54 pm

Jagd Mirage™ wrote: ......
The "short/hard" lines are overpowering in my drawings in comparison to Naganos is that I probably put more detail in one leg than he does in his entire mech so i kinda fill them with mechanical hard-edges, this does not mean it's better than Mr.Nagano's work. .....
Of course, I'd love to see your developing own unique style. those mechanical hard-edges, including the EVa-02 unit drawing, appear kinda muscular, powerful and totally stripped of any fat, and i like it.

Look forward to your more detailed designs, and perhaps adding movement and certain (battle) scenario to the mech drawings.

Oh, and please do get a bigger piece of paper than the A4 size.

Jagd Mirage™

Post by Jagd Mirage™ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:21 pm

I would, problem is thats the scanner size.