My first mecha concept in a long time

Share your work with the online community

Moderator: kosh

Engage

My first mecha concept in a long time

Post by Engage » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:34 am

My mecha certainly can't compare to G. Penguin's mecha, but I do try to please at least myself with my designs. Sorry for the low self-confidence.

Anyways, after having drawn this mech, I had to scan it on the family computer, save it to disk, and then transfer the file from the disk to my computer, but I think it turned out ok. The only difference is that some lines are a little darker in some places.

Well, enough of my griping, here's the mech:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/O ... ure005.jpg

What do you think?

Gpenguin

Post by Gpenguin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:55 am

don’t be too hard on your self. I think it’s an interesting design :D
kinda looks like a giant MaK/SF3D suit.

Engage

Post by Engage » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:25 am

Wow, really? I usually don't get compliments whenever I draw mecha and I can never seem to draw things the way I want to. The thing I'm really struggling with is a 3/4ths view. I absolutely suck at it but you seem to have a mastery of it. I seem to have better writing skills than I do drawing mecha skills.

I love MaK/SF3D! I must have had that running subconsiously through my mind when I was drawing that. I think it's the legs that give it the MaK/SF3D feel.

Ryujin

Post by Ryujin » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:16 am

It looks rather front-heavy. Perhaps if the rear extended downwards, to act as both counterweight and protection to the 'spine'?

Engage

Post by Engage » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:12 pm

It is front heavy :D I don't really think about what I'm drawing, I just do it, and not thinking leads to obvious flaws. But you know what? I don't really care if there are flaws or weaknesses. I think it adds to the overall charm of the drawing and makes it seem more...realistic in a way.

Ryujin

Post by Ryujin » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:22 am

I think that you should start a series of mecha in a similar vein--the world needs more Kow Yokoyama-inspired designs.