Weathering

Photos and talk about mecha modelling

Moderator: kosh

SteamTrooper

Weathering

Post by SteamTrooper » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:02 pm

I have been having trouble geting my pastel weathering onto my kits - I am told that Mineral Spirits is the way to go but living in England have not found this product - I think it may have another name over here and was hoping someone either new what it is called or maybe could point me to an alternative?

Cheers

Adam

bkito

Post by bkito » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:26 am

I'm not sure but I though mineral spirits were basically just used as paint thinners? I used to have a friend who thinned Testors paints with them because you could get a gallon for less than an ounce of Testors thinner. Don't know if this will help but maybe it will be at least a piece of the puzzle for you.

BK

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:44 am

Cheers Bkto - I have cleared this matter up - it was basically a translation problem - Mineral spirits are basically what i would call White Spirits or Witch Hazel - thanks.

yuu_kajima

Post by yuu_kajima » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:06 pm

Check this site for mecha weathering and working with figure :
http://www.codyscoop.com

Image[/img]

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:51 pm

excellent link.

I model mostly in 3D, I have written shaders that produce the 'weathering effect'. I would say it's all about surface angle. Sharp creases tend to be darker due to dirt and shading, whilst hard edges tend to be more worn / lighter / scratched.

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:50 pm

Cheers Yuu - nice thought - Its good to see someone else has the Cody link - LOL - I have been following that guys work now for quite some time - I have also checked just about every Weathering Tutorial and modelling tutorial available on the net - it wasnt realy the technique etc I was after just some info on what on earth Mineral Spirits are called in england as I met many blank faces in art shops and chemists when I asked - they all just pointed at various White spirits and muttered "they should do stufff like that" - not what you need to hear after several weeks of carefull painting - especially as the wrong Spirit is more than happy to rip through paint and plastic without a second thought.

Thanks

Adam

NycRayJai

Post by NycRayJai » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:53 am

for weathing i use Pigma Micron 02 Markers, which can be wiped off with a wet cloth if u mess up, and if u a slightly damp cloth it will smear, casing a weating effect, i also use any kiddy water soluable paints that can be cleaned off easily with water.